Contribute
Register

Apple Announces OS X 10.11 El Capitan - Available Fall 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every time I read El Capitan, I keep seeing Inigo Montoya. That would have been a better name.

'Alo! My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my hard drive. Prepare to die!

Perhaps you should listen to the lilting strains of the El Capitan March by John Philip Sousa, which was composed to commemorate the grand opening of the Yosemite National Park. That should evict "The Princess Bride" from at least a few neurons in your brain.

I just may contrive to substitute a few bars of that tune for the traditional Macintosh startup chord.

Every time I read El Capitan, I keep seeing Inigo Montoya. That would have been a better name.

'Alo! My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my hard drive. Prepare to die!

Everytime I see "El Capitan" I keep thinking "Eric Clapton" ... his friends used to call him El Capitan when he was a little boy :p

My fingers are crossed for something else, though: Optimus support. I know Apple doesn't normally do it, but they might have come to their senses, just as they did with Intel CPUs a few years ago (maybe not a few anymore - feels like yesterday! ;) )

If anyone knows /or has read/ anything about that - please share! :)

Is metal equivalent to, CUDA. Is this apples way tapping into the GPU and will it help FCPX, what's your thoughts on this.

No. OpenCL is the equivalent of CUDA. Both are APIs that specifically designed to take advantage of GPU power and use them for other tasks - general compute instead of just 3D tasks.

Metal is more like DirectX 12, Vulkan and Mantle. A low level API intended to remove layers between app and hardware. Less overhead, faster access to resources and maximize CPU utilization.
It is like buying direct from manufacturer instead of going to the shopping mall.

FCPX utilizes GPU acceleration via OpenCL for the most part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back