Contribute
Register

Apple Announces OS X 10.11 El Capitan - Available Fall 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
+1. By the way... what will happen to OpenCL/OpenGL? Are they replaced and/or removed?
I would say integration with OpenCL/GL, from the key note they are combining the two for better performance making the most out of what they have. Along with Metal.

Metal sounds nice for real Macs, but I'm really wondering if this will render graphic card compatibility even more restricted in our Hacks ! There is probably some low-level driver stuff going on, meaning the graphic card drivers may have to provide the metal API, so what about the future of the Nvidia web drivers for example ?

do you think it will work fine on a hack or will have lots of issues? I'm using a GTX760 4GB version so we will have to find out :thumbup:

do you think it will work fine on a hack or will have lots of issues? I'm using a GTX760 4GB version so we will have to find out :thumbup:

Issues at first, should be pretty decent once the Public Beta is out in July. ;)

Metal sounds nice for real Macs, but I'm really scared this will render graphic card compatibility even more restricted in our Hacks ! This is probably some low-level driver stuff going on, so what about the future of the Nvidia web drivers for example ?

I wouldn't concern yourself about the future, get the most out of your hardware. Apple doesn't support Nvidia/Maxwell at present yet most of the successful builds and users have them working. Nvidia has released the drivers for each OS.. Giving the opportunity to use the latest and greatest hardware.

Now i'm nervous.
I just started buying parts for my macpro build.
Should i be worried about the new OS working on that system?
Or will i be ok?

its all trials and error and tbh i don't think we will have no issues with you guys at work ;)

Nice name! :D OS X El Capitan. I actually like it. Of course the cat names were awesome, but "Mavericks" - for example - was nice, too.

I'm happy about the improved performance, especially with OpenCL/GL and the new Metal feature/framework(?). This will be some interesting weeks to get everything working again :D

+1. By the way... what will happen to OpenCL/OpenGL? Are they replaced and/or removed?

I think they're used alongside Metal...
Mmhh my question is: will Metal work on Hackintosh?

EDIT: Nope, Metal for Mac "combines" OpenGL and OpenCL into an unified API

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back