Contribute
Register

Apple Announces 'One More Thing' Event for November 10th

Status
Not open for further replies.
I more or less do live with 16 gigs when my VM is running and that is most of the time it is set to 48 gigs leaving only 16 for the host. I use the Mac side for all office work, internet/email use, the message app, and music/appletv. I also use the apple side for acrobat and some very light photoshop. The only time the VM is off is when I am working on renderings and that is because of a video card issue rather then a memory issue since the rendering app normally only needs 2GB of memory.

One other thing we haven't factored in is how much RAM the IGPU will use...

You said sub $1000, I see $999 as sub $1000 even if it is only by a $1 and as I pointed out as a student/educator you can get it for $899. I hardly see the difference between $850 and $899 take an underwater basket weaving class and call yourself a student. You got kids? Right now most parents of kids in school get to count as an educator. I do not find $1000 for a laptop to be excessive I find it to be the norm, it is not like it is something I am or have to buy every day I do not consider it cheap but I do consider it affordable for something you rely on.

I suppose it's not a matter of opinion at all, but rather a matter of a "real wages" point of view.

We both quote US Dollars as currency, but where I live, you get slapped with import fees and VAT on top of everything(not mentioning retailers' markups). I would like to rely on a computer to be operational for more than the 1-year warranty that comes with it, but even within that one year, retailers where I live will try to wiggle their way out of servicing a machine like they're fighting for their lives.(no official Apple presence here) That's regardless of whether it's defective or damage has been caused by the customer. So yeah - $150 actually makes a hell of a difference! Sure, it's psychological to a very large extent, however, 15% off the initial price knocks out import tax and VAT down as well. The end result is a noticeably cheaper machine, especially when it costs what you earn in two months combined...

Oh - also, the student discounts do not exist where I live lol!

Here is an example:
I bought my HP laptop for work that sports a 256GB SSD, 8gigs of RAM and i5-8250U with a FullHD screen and decent connectivity and port setup for an equivalent of $499 (after all the import tax, VAT, etc.) An equivalent MacBook would have cost me double that if not more. Maybe if it were less than double I would have thought twice.. or maybe I would have bought the HP regardless so I can hack it, who knows - but we're talking roughly equivalent performance for half the price anyway. I reckon this is what they need to target now, but with no competition - why bother, I suppose..

Anyway, I'm rambling. Happy Hacking!
littlegreen

I suppose it's not a matter of opinion at all, but rather a matter of a "real wages" point of view.

We both quote US Dollars as currency, but where I live, you get slapped with import fees and VAT on top of everything(not mentioning retailers' markups). I would like to rely on a computer to be operational for more than the 1-year warranty that comes with it, but even within that one year, retailers where I live will try to wiggle their way out of servicing a machine like they're fighting for their lives.(no official Apple presence here) That's regardless of whether it's defective or damage has been caused by the customer. So yeah - $150 actually makes a hell of a difference! Sure, it's psychological to a very large extent, however, 15% off the initial price knocks out import tax and VAT down as well. The end result is a noticeably cheaper machine, especially when it costs what you earn in two months combined...

Oh - also, the student discounts do not exist where I live lol!

Here is an example:
I bought my HP laptop for work that sports a 256GB SSD, 8gigs of RAM and i5-8250U with a FullHD screen and decent connectivity and port setup for an equivalent of $499 (after all the import tax, VAT, etc.) An equivalent MacBook would have cost me double that if not more. Maybe if it were less than double I would have thought twice.. or maybe I would have bought the HP regardless so I can hack it, who knows - but we're talking roughly equivalent performance for half the price anyway. I reckon this is what they need to target now, but with no competition - why bother, I suppose..

Anyway, I'm rambling. Happy Hacking!
littlegreen

Sorry that your country feels the need to charge you to import tax, we pay 10% sales tax I am guessing that is the same as VAT. I am not sure the student discount is bound by where you live I think they offer it to tall students. The reality is the taxes are really not relevant you hit the nail in the first line of your post "Real Wages" only you can control that. My mom used to tell me when I was a child that my shoes cost her 3 days of work to purchase, I never wanted to have to tell my kids that or myself that so I went to School got a degree.

Sorry that your country feels the need to charge you to import tax, we pay 10% sales tax I am guessing that is the same as VAT. I am not sure the student discount is bound by where you live I think they offer it to tall students. The reality is the taxes are really not relevant you hit the nail in the first line of your post "Real Wages" only you can control that. My mom used to tell me when I was a child that my shoes cost her 3 days of work to purchase, I never wanted to have to tell my kids that or myself that so I went to School got a degree.

I wish it were about education frankly, but degrees don't help where I live. My master's degree is only getting me so far, not to mention loads of people with basic education sometimes make more than me. It's just the gap is too small, because nobody really is well off. "Real wages" means "what can you buy with the money you're earning" - regardless of how much you make. Put it this way - if an apple cost $25, a $60k-a-year wage looks very different than if an apple cost $1. We do not get students' discounts, because there is no Apple here - just retailers that import, slap all the taxes and markups on top and you end up paying a hefty price for something that in its own right is actually not expensive.

Oh gosh let's just stop it here, we're way off topic anyway. Bottom line: Macs are not cheap, even though Apple is not paying the Intel tax anymore. This is really good for their shareholders, as they had stagnated a bit after hitting 2 trillion market cap lol! At least the returns on this would now be bigger, even if they don't grow their market.

I wish it were about education frankly, but degrees don't help where I live. My master's degree is only getting me so far, not to mention loads of people with basic education sometimes make more than me. It's just the gap is too small, because nobody really is well off. "Real wages" means "what can you buy with the money you're earning" - regardless of how much you make. Put it this way - if an apple cost $25, a $60k-a-year wage looks very different than if an apple cost $1. We do not get students' discounts, because there is no Apple here - just retailers that import, slap all the taxes and markups on top and you end up paying a hefty price for something that in its own right is actually not expensive.

Oh gosh let's just stop it here, we're way off topic anyway. Bottom line: Macs are not cheap, even though Apple is not paying the Intel tax anymore. This is really good for their shareholders, as they had stagnated a bit after hitting 2 trillion market cap lol! At least the returns on this would now be bigger, even if they don't grow their market.
Not sure the topic at this point really matters since the one last thing event has passed and the topic about the cost, and the new products have their own topic now. I understand "real wages" I understand that if I moved to AZ the amount of money I make a year would easily buy a newly built turn key 3000 s/f home, and that here in CA I would lucky to get a 900 s/f home that was 60 years old in a bad neighborhood. But I like CA so I stay here and I rent a home that fits my needs even though in AZ I would have a lower mortgage then my rent.

Like I said I positioned myself in a place where buying a Laptop for a $1000 is not a huge deal. I understand that not everyone can be so lucky, and I understand that not all degrees are created equal. I am lucky that I have a career in a field that I enjoy and that I also make a decent living. I only have a bachelors while my friend has a masters and I make about 3x as much as her a year. Maybe you should get into Retail import and make all those mark ups! ;)

...... Maybe you should get into Retail import and make all those mark ups! ;)

I wish it were that simple to become an official Apple representative and import official :D
I reckon I would not even get a response - that's how insignificant of a market my country is lol!

I have owned Windows laptops with touchscreens for years and after using the touch capability once, I never used it again. On a laptop, I still agree with Apple that it does not make sense to add touch capability to a pure laptop. It does, however, make sense to add touch capability to a laptop that folds 180-degrees or detaches from the keyboard.
Well, we know now that gen 1 has no touch capability. But looking at the Big Sur interface with it's spaced out elements, as well as the ability to run ios apps natively, it seems to make sense that touch capability will be a long term goal on these devices. I totally agree with you, that it makes no sense unless these can be folded 180-degrees or detach from the keyboard, so maybe that might be a new design change that could come out in later generations.

Well, we know now that gen 1 has no touch capability. But looking at the Big Sur interface with it's spaced out elements, as well as the ability to run ios apps natively, it seems to make sense that touch capability will be a long term goal on these devices. I totally agree with you, that it makes no sense unless these can be folded 180-degrees or detach from the keyboard, so maybe that might be a new design change that could come out in later generations.
I think you're looking at it from the wrong perspective, what Apple is doing is trying to unify touch devices with non touch devices. If MacOS is to truly run IOS device apps natively they need to have the same padding otherwise writing a app for IOS would need a different padding setting for MacOS. I am not saying that they are never adding touch to a laptop or a desk top, but the similarities between the OS's is to allow programers to program one app, one way, and get the best experience across all devices without extra work. Launch pad has been part of MacOS for years it looks exactly like your iPad or iPhone Home Screen. However, touch screens have not materialized in laptops or desktops yet.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back