Contribute
Register

Apple Announces M1 Ultra CPU, Mac Studio and Studio Display

I have an M1 MacBook Pro 13 and came seriously close to buying a Studio before having to move. These M1 and higher Macs are amazing, and I can't recommend it enough for anyone looking to replace a hack. I have several still, and, given the lack of support and heavy power requirement, I'm on board with M1. Plus I've been developing on ARM for a while and love I can cross compile with the Mac now.

I have an M1 MacBook Pro 13 and came seriously close to buying a Studio before having to move. These M1 and higher Macs are amazing, and I can't recommend it enough for anyone looking to replace a hack. I have several still, and, given the lack of support and heavy power requirement, I'm on board with M1. Plus I've been developing on ARM for a while and love I can cross compile with the Mac now.

One often overlooked advantage of the Apple Silicon Macs is that we can run some iPhone/iPad apps. I have several apps that I use often on my iPad on my Mac now and it's so convenient!!

All the ASi stuff is awesome.

Personally I’m riding my Hack until it dies or is totally impractical though.

It’s all just sunk cost and works wonderfully.
(And I do still dual boot windows for gaming also)

Thanks for all the answers, I'm not a gamer, I'm a designer, and I need a productivity machine, as it's time to update my Hackintosh But the problem is that to change the processor I also have to buy an MB, RAM, etc., because as I said, Hackintosh is not upgradeable, that's an ILLUSION. We can change disks and such, but in terms of performance, processor or RAM, after 2 or 3 years the new components are not compatible or very little. Mac Studio looks perfect, maybe apart from not being able to put more internal storage. However, we have good solutions for external drives.

Last edited:
Mac Studio looks perfect, maybe apart from not being able to put more internal storage. However, we have good solutions for external drives.

It just continues to irritate me to no end that Apple won't, at least on a device like the Studio, build in support for an add-in NVMe drive

I'm almost certain I would buy a preowned base model at some point if I could change that one thing.

It just continues to irritate me to no end that Apple won't, at least on a device like the Studio, build in support for an add-in NVMe drive

I'm almost certain I would buy a preowned base model at some point if I could change that one thing.
In the fashionably productive consumer content creation and consumption market, the last thing Apple needs is compatibility and service issues from their hundreds of millions of installed base screwing up ESD sensitive devices while Apple moves to proprietary appliance-wise closed arch with internal interconnects that may evolve in arbitrary Apple-specific ways, especially given that their product already offers standard class-leading external peripheral bus ports.

Apple says the new modularity is the whole Mac (phone, tablet), not the devices inside.

And who's to argue with them? The Mac was never a PC. It just happened to be built from similar parts for about 15 years.

In the fashionably productive consumer content creation and consumption market, the last thing Apple needs is compatibility and service issues from their hundreds of millions of installed base screwing up ESD sensitive devices while Apple moves to proprietary appliance-wise closed arch with internal interconnects that may evolve in arbitrary Apple-specific ways, especially given that their product already offers standard class-leading external peripheral bus ports.

Apple says the new modularity is the whole Mac (phone, tablet), not the devices inside.

And who's to argue with them? The Mac was never a PC. It just happened to be built from similar parts for about 15 years.

Yeah -- I guess
If they would stop price gouging on time of purchase upgrades I'd have far less issue with all of it I think.

(wouldn't solve the frustration about being "locked" to whatever internal storage it comes with... oh well)

My brain, already challenged by the idea of a "mobile" 157 W CPU—to be paired with a similarly power-hungry GPU—and stumbling upon the side-by-side table for the HX and H families, totally melted when I eventually realised there were NO TYPOS in the HX specification table: :eek:
The 12950HX and 12850HX differ from the 12900HX and 12800HX in having vPro and ECC support (so far so good…) but then the 12650HX and 12450HX lack these two features while the 12600HX has them. So many digits and not even a hit of consistency!

Intel is at complete loss here, and tries to hide it by confusing prospective customers with a mess of a product stack.
At this point, the next step is to take dance lessons from Steve Ballmer… (Apologies to the forum readers who were not yet born in the 1990s and were thus spared the indignity of watching THIS o_O )

Who still want to complain about the "M1, M1 Pro, M1 Max, M1 Ultra" naming scheme?
There are already geekbench results of 13900HX and M2 Max.
Zrzut ekranu 2022-12-1 o 20.12.57.png

Back