Contribute
Register

Apple Announces M1 Ultra CPU, Mac Studio and Studio Display

Well, I guess that time will tell who is the dumbass. lol.
I hope that you are right…. We shall see….

Well, I guess that time will tell who is the dumbass. lol.
maybe you are right…. We shall see….

All the "serialization" BS originated from the Apple Insider video and everyone else is just repeating it without any fact checking.

Here's what we do know:
  • iFixIt successfully swapped SSD modules of identical size. This alone should disprove the serialization BS.
  • iFixIt was unsuccessful at booting with two SSD modules installed on a Mac Studio that originally shipped with one SSD module.
  • Luke tried and failed at everything, including putting back the SSD module back in to the Mac Studio it shipped in.
  • Apple Insider is just repeating something he was told but gave no reference as to who that person is.
  • Apple Insider did no testing themselves that I've seen.

We know that people have successfully upgraded storage on iPhones and M1 MacBook Airs simply by replacing the NAND flash chips and doing DFU restores. I really, really doubt Apple would go through the effort of reinventing the wheel on the M1 Pro, M1 Max, and M1 Ultra to block the handful of people crazy enough to attempt upgrades.

Last edited:
All the "serialization" BS originated from the Apple Insider video and everyone else is just repeating it without any fact checking.

Here's what we do know:
  • iFixIt successfully swapped SSD modules of identical size. This alone should disprove the serialization BS.
  • iFixIt was unsuccessful at booting with two SSD modules installed on a Mac Studio that originally shipped with one SSD module.
  • Luke tried and failed at everything, including putting back the SSD module back in to the Mac Studio it shipped in.
  • Apple Insider is just repeating something he was told but gave no reference as to who that person is.
  • Apple Insider did no testing themselves that I've seen.

We know that people have successfully upgraded storage on iPhones and M1 MacBook Airs simply by replacing the NAND flash chips and doing DFU restores. I really, really doubt Apple would go through the effort of reinventing the wheel on the M1 Pro, M1 Max, and M1 Ultra to block the handful of people crazy enough to attempt upgrades.
Dude, you really have an axe to grind with Luke Miani (lol)— did he like burn your house down or something? He probably has a hackintosh and followed one of your guides! He doesn’t have the same level technical knowledge of a programmer or an engineer. But he has made 100s of useful DIY videos with macs.

I watched his videos too. @pastrychef, you have a little bit of a flare for the dramatic in your assessment of him. It‘s not fair to say that he failed at everything. He got a Mac studio to boot with the same size storage from another machine, and one of the two Mac studios from this experiment refused to boot after he put the original storage modules back in. He didn’t get his machines free from apple like other YouTuber, so you have to give him a little bit of credit for trying and experimenting on this brand new, super expensive tech— even though some of it ended in failure. If his conclusions are still right after six months, good for him for giving it a go and trying to figure it out. If not, I’ll join the chorus with you calling him a dumbass.

@pastrychef, We are waiting for your videos where you successfully swap out 500gb with 1 tb on the Mac studio.
;) ;););)

Last edited:
Dude, you really have an axe to grind with Luke Miani (lol)— did he like burn your house down or something? He probably has a hackintosh and followed one of your guides! He doesn’t have the same level technical knowledge of a programmer or an engineer. But he has made 100s of useful DIY videos with macs.

I watched his videos too. @pastrychef, you have a little bit of a flare for the dramatic in your assessment of him. It‘s not fair to say that he failed at everything. He got a Mac studio to boot with the same size ssd from another machine, and one of the two Mac studios from this experiment refused to boot after he put the original SSDs back in. He didn’t get his machines free from apple like other YouTuber, so you have to give him a little bit of credit for trying and experimenting on this brand new, super expensive tech— even though some of it ended in failure. If his conclusions are still right after six months, good for him for giving it a go and trying to figure it out. If not, I’ll join the chorus with you calling him a dumbass.

@pastrychef, We are waiting for your videos where you successfully swap out 500gb with 1 tb on the Mac studio.
;)

Lol. I got a bad impression of him the first time I watched one of his videos and it stuck.

Although he didn't get his Mac Studios for free, he bought them to monetize off of them through his videos.

I'm too ugly to go in front of a camera and I have a tendency to use "colorful metaphors" in my everyday speech.

Lol. I got a bad impression of him the first time I watched one of his videos and it stuck.

Although he didn't get his Mac Studios for free, he bought them to monetize off of them through his videos.

I'm too ugly to go in front of a camera and I have a tendency to use "colorful metaphors" in my everyday speech.
Well, your writing is beautiful and great, and if you are camera shy, as the meta-verse comes into our world, you can make videos with your cute pastry chef avatar, and I’m sure the world will love them.

Studio Display. Does anyone know if this can be run off of a Hackintosh with no thunderbolt ports on the motherboard or GPU (HDMI and Display ports only)?
The best you can hope is that it might work with DisplayPort signal carried on "USB Alt mode", as non-Thunderbolt laptop would output through a USB-C port.

But the best part of hackintoshes is using standard parts and connectors (here, DisplayPort), so I would just suggest to embrace that and get a good non-Apple monitor. Dell sells some quality displays—or an Eizo CG if your budget has the sky for limit.

I don't think there's any serialization. The Luke guy couldn't even get the original SSD module to boot when he re-installed it in to the Mac Studio it originally shipped in.

I don't think swapping SSD modules will require certified Apple techs.

That's a fair opinion. Must admit I hope serialization is indeed BS. :thumbup:

Trying to (still) work around this in my head ...

If a Mac needed to "phone home" to check if a storage component is allowed, how would it do it? Are the people who claim it happens saying that the Firmware in itself is enough to connect to the Internet and perform a check? Because if a machine is not allowed to boot, what is the mechanism that prevents it? It would have had to boot at least once to go online and run the so-called check and get a "key".

So, given we can decide serialization may be phoney, why wasn't Luke able to simply replace his original SSD and get the Studio to boot? That surely points to where the storage problem lies and I would like to know more. Maybe he static-zapped the module?

What's more is that if that isn't the case, the firmware is the same as it was and the hardware is the same as it was. Why would a DFU work for that scenario?

Perhaps he didn't tighten the securing screw the required number of turns! Apple does pay that level of attention to detail. :D

Perhaps he didn't tighten the securing screw the required number of turns!
That would be very Steve Jobsian. OCD levels of attention to details.

To sum up and hopefully close this NVMe upgrade topic, nothing is for sure yet so buy as much storage as you can afford when you CTO the Mac Studio. I could easily use a 1TB boot drive for a very long time. I'd just keep all the large video files that eat up space on external TH4 drives. So why worry about whether upgrades are going to be possible right now ? If they are not, someone will have figured it out by the time we'd need to do that years into the future.

Last edited:
That would be very Steve Jobsian. OCD levels of attention to details.

To sum up and hopefully close this NVMe upgrade topic, nothing is for sure yet so buy as much storage as you can afford when you CTO the Mac Studio. I could easily use a 1TB boot drive for a very long time. I'd just keep all the large video files that eat up space on external TH4 drives. So why worry about whether upgrades are going to be possible right now ? If they are not, someone will have figured it out by the time we'd need to do that years into the future.

I can sympathise wth your sentiments.

I think the real issue is actually the expected life of the machine. These are expensive and we might reasonably expect them to last for a very long time, upgrade or no upgrade.

True "throw away" iPhones, designed for just a 2-year contract, can cost way over $1000, easily, and the base model Studio is only a few hundred more.

Presently the higher quality SSDs are usually guaranteed for 5-years. The cheaper ones for 3.

Maybe I'm looking at this the wrong way because content-creators will happily change their machines before 5-years is up? This isn't the new "Green" world at all, is it?

Presently the higher quality SSDs are usually guaranteed for 5-years. The cheaper ones for 3.
One thing I forgot to mention is RAM. If you get the upgrade to 64GB on an M1 Max model, that means that the page file won't be used much if at all. That means less wear and tear on the NVMe. Also makes resale value greater because the next owner won't be able to upgrade the Unified memory.

Back