Contribute
Register

Apple Announces M1 Ultra CPU, Mac Studio and Studio Display

including ifixit

Do you have a link to the iFixIt findings? I don't have much faith in this Luke guy. In the above video, he said he still hasn't been able to revive his 48 GPU core Mac Studio even with its original SSD module installed...

The only thing I see on the iFixIt home page is their original Mac Studio teardown where they successfully did the SSD swap:
Screen Shot 2022-03-25 at 11.58.35 PM.png

Studio Display. Does anyone know if this can be run off of a Hackintosh with no thunderbolt ports on the motherboard or GPU (HDMI and Display ports only)?

Perhaps by using an adapter? Or adding a Thunderbolt 3 via PCIe card (if that's possible)?

I've seen a lot of contradictory answers elsewhere, so I'd figure I'd ask here.

Here's my setup:
i7-4770k 3.49 GHz Intel Core i7
GA-Z87X-UD5H
Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5
USB-C slot from a PCIe card

Background: my Dell monitor is old and dying; I'd like to replace it, preferably with an Apple Studio Display. I'd also like to upgrade my Hackintosh to a Mac Studio (or something else?) too, but I probably can't swing the price of both at once.

So.... I was hoping I could buy the monitor first, then the Mac Studio later (as there *might* be other, better computer options from Apple in a year or two from now? e.g. Maybe an M2 Mac Mini might meet my photo editing needs for less?)

Last edited:
Studio Display. Does anyone know if this can be run off of a Hackintosh with no thunderbolt ports on the motherboard or GPU (HDMI and Display ports only)?

I am going to go with no you need thunderbolt.

In this video, they tried to increase storage capacity with two 512GB modules and it didn't work.

They did not try replacing the stock 512GB module with a larger capacity module.

That's why the lady said:
Screen Shot 2022-03-25 at 2.33.27 PM.png

I don't think any of that is true. I don't believe there's any serialization. I think the guy from Apple Insider was fed lies and he believed it.

I also think that a lot of these guys are too concerned about putting the second slot to use. They are equating the inability to use the second slot to not being able to upgrade. They are ignoring the fact that upgrading can be replacing a lower capacity module with a larger capacity one.

Which bit? Or all of my post?

I've read and re-read it and don't see where I misunderstood.

I can even personally attest to the auto coding reference!

Which bit? Or all of my post?

I've read and re-read it and don't see where I misunderstood.

I can even personally attest to the auto coding reference!

I don't think there's any serialization. The Luke guy couldn't even get the original SSD module to boot when he re-installed it in to the Mac Studio it originally shipped in.

I don't think swapping SSD modules will require certified Apple techs.

In this video, they tried to increase storage capacity with two 512GB modules and it didn't work.

They did not try replacing the stock 512GB module with a larger capacity module.

That's why the lady said:
View attachment 544944

Luke Miani (who apparently no one trusts…because??? He wants views on YouTube…..):
you can’t swap a 500 gb drive with a 1 tB Even if doing a dfu restore, but you can swap drives of the same size With dfu restore.

ifxit: you can’t populate both drives with 500 gb, but you can swap drives of the same size with dfu restore. jury is still out on upgrades From 500 gb to 1 tb.

apple insider: the machine can’t be upgrade by swapping out larger storage modules. You cannot upgrade this machine.

@pastrychef, at this time, upgrades don’t seem possible based on all of these reports, but if you have empirical evidence to the contrary (aside from the fact that some people think Luke Miani is a dumb@ss:lol:—I actually don’t), by all means, please share. Theories are interesting, but right now the real world reports are pointing to no. I do hope that somebody can get it to work, or that Apple releases some sort of update that allows it to work, but I doubt it. upgrading to larger drives could increase the life of the machine, and they don’t want that. They want us to buy a new one instead.

Luke Miani (who apparently no one trusts…because??? He wants views on YouTube…..):
you can’t swap a 500 gb drive with a 1 tB Even if doing a dfu restore, but you can swap drives of the same size With dfu restore.

ifxit: you can’t populate both drives with 500 gb, but you can swap drives of the same size with dfu restore. jury is still out on upgrades From 500 gb to 1 tb.

apple insider: the machine can’t be upgrade by swapping out larger storage modules. You cannot upgrade this machine.

@pastrychef, at this time, upgrades don’t seem possible based on all of these reports, but if you have evidence to the contrary (aside from the fact that some people think Luke Miani is a dumb@ss:lol:—I actually don’t), by all means, please share. I do hope that somebody can get it to work, or that Apple releases some sort of update that allows it to work, but I doubt it. upgrading to larger drives could increase the life of the machine, and they don’t want that. They want us to buy a new one instead.

Watch the Luke video you linked to. He couldn't even get the 512GB SSD module to work after putting it back in the Mac Studio that it originally shipped in. I question his competency. This should also disprove the serialization nonsense.

The Apple Insider guy was just repeating something he was told. He did no tests and we don't know who he spoke to.

I have yet to see conclusive evidence swapping to a higher capacity SSD module won't work when done by someone competent.

Back