Contribute
Register

Apple Announces M1 Ultra CPU, Mac Studio and Studio Display

No dust filter covering the bottom intake means that dust will get in eventually unless you run it in a clean room.

Google "Dyson fan clogged dust" and look at the images to see potential problems.

FJLNH6DJX56ZIAT.jpg

To be fair, the old MacPro1,1-MacPro5,1s had similar sized vent holes and were never really a problem... I guess it all comes down to how hard the Mac Studio fans work and how much air they move.

Btw, I hate the Dyson fans because of this clogging problem. Eventually, it just became a noise maker and didn't move any air at all. One of the worst purchases I ever made.

Last edited:
After a couple of weeks, many of us Hackintoshers who buy the Mac Studio or 14/16-inch MacBook Pro will find that the Hackintosh experience remains far more satisfying. There's something about the total configurability of Hackintosh and the DIY sense of pride that keeps me in that game. The novelty of a real Mac wears off much more quickly.

Hackintoshing can be fun and extremely educational, but it can also be very frustrating...

If I felt that I could build something better than what Apple sells, I'd consider doing another build even knowing Intel support is being sunsetted. However, I don't think I'd come anywhere near the performance, efficiency, cost balance that the Mac Studio offers.

Hackintoshing can be fun and extremely educational, but it can also be very frustrating...

If I felt that I could build something better than what Apple sells, I'd consider doing another build even knowing Intel support is being sunsetted. However, I don't think I'd come anywhere near the performance, efficiency, cost balance that the Mac Studio offers.
Same here. I priced out a 12th generation I7 system similar to CaseySJ's Golden Build with half of the RAM in a Studio Max and it came out well over USD$2k. Considering the benchmarks between a 12th generation Intel I7 and the benchmarks of the Mac Studio Max, I would have to lean heavily in favor of the Mac. While the challenge and fun of building a Hackintosh is great, having done several builds over the last 15 years and running everything from Tiger to Mojave on them, the fun is wearing thin and as I get older the frustration level also seems to get worse. I doubt I will build another one since Apple will soon cease to support Intel Macs.

ArsTechnica made all of the same points. It's always good to have independent confirmation.

But I do hope that the Studio opens up, at least for cleaning dust inside. Else it may no age well.
I hope so too. And I have some ideas about it too how it may work. Although it looks almost impossible to open, it's quite possible the bottom embossed plate is a screw-down. That would be the most logical answer.

My other main concern is as you've pointed out the fan intake and outlet ports and heatsink. They could get real dusty real quick in some environments, and if there's no feasible access to the heatsink, thermals and performance could suffer (especially if the heatsink and main chip can't be repasted). That's where a hackintosh has its advantages.

Same here. I priced out a 12th generation I7 system similar to CaseySJ's Golden Build with half of the RAM in a Studio Max and it came out well over USD$2k. Considering the benchmarks between a 12th generation Intel I7 and the benchmarks of the Mac Studio Max, I would have to lean heavily in favor of the Mac. While the challenge and fun of building a Hackintosh is great, having done several builds over the last 15 years and running everything from Tiger to Mojave on them, the fun is wearing thin and as I get older the frustration level also seems to get worse. I doubt I will build another one since Apple will soon cease to support Intel Macs.
I've considered the same and decided to move on myself. These were a lot of fun for a while but did get much harder to make over time.

These were a lot of fun for a while but did get much harder to make over time.
Hm, in my case they seemed to get a lot easier. Maybe because I was totally ignorant to start, and now I'm just plain ignorant.

Mac Studio teardown:

Looks like SSD can be upgraded and liquid metal can be applied to the M1 Ultra. :lol:

Mac Studio teardown:

Looks like SSD can be upgraded and liquid metal can be applied to the M1 Ultra. :lol:
This is great! looks easily accessible (though how much I spent on this I'm hesitant to do this). But any clue what kind of SSD is that and where to buy one?

liquid metal can be applied
"can" doesn't mean you should. Apple's cooling solution will be good enough. Also check whether tearing this apart voids your warranty first. This is not a $699 Mac mini.

This is great! looks easily accessible (though how much I spent on this I'm hesitant to do this). But any clue what kind of SSD is that and where to buy one?

It looks like a proprietary connector so we will probably need to wait for someone like OWC to make compatible ones.

Back