Contribute
Register

Apple Announces M1 Ultra CPU, Mac Studio and Studio Display

If the dual M1 Max is called the Ultra, what will Apple call the chip in the Apple Si Mac Pro ???

I'd bet on the M1 Xtreme for the name. I'll check back here in 2023 to see if I'm right. How will they connect two Ultras together ? That may be why it will take so long. Or maybe by then it will be the M2 Xtreme.

Apple said that this would be the final variation of the M1. M2 Xtreme would be closer.

That total price is about $400 less than what the base model 2019 Mac Pro sold for at launch. Good thing you waited a few more years. People with expensive 2019 Mac Pros can't even sell them these days. To get close to the equivalent specs in the 2019 MP it would cost well over $13,000. It would probably be a lot slower too. Thanks for being on board here for the last ten years.
For "only" $700, 2019 Mac Pro owners can apparently now upgrade to this...
https://www.apple.com/shop/product/...53cdfd30160e9e6123b06ac41636a310f725d6624ab9c

Could you please be more specific about your statements? How you tested 12600K vs M1 Pro/Max? How can you tell a 6900XT + 12900K is equally powerful as a M1 Ultra? I’m asking since I currently rock a 9980XE + 6800XT + 64GB DDR4 3600Mhz + Intel Optane 480GB storage (Blazing Fast 3d X-Point memory) —> I’m tempted by an M1 Max Studio genuine Mac, but (even if a bit dated) my hackintosh is still fast! Basically I’m dubious since I can sell my machine for the Mac Studio at roughly the same price and get a real Mac (loosing ability to run Win 11 which is a nice to have). Anyone feel free to gimme advices!
Ok let´s go, I tested my Hackintosh in Davinci Resolve VS MacBookPro M1 Max 64GB version, in Davinci Resolve the test the Benchmark CPU/GPU Test, the M1 MAX gives 38FPS for CPU 8K, the Core i5 12600K gives 48FPS, the M1 Max in GPU Gives 165FPS, the RX 6600 8GB gives 148FPS. In real editing testing 120FPS, I downloaded from RED, samples, a 320FPS files. The M1 Max in Davinci Resolve could reproduce until 67FPS, the Core i5 12600K can reproduce until 78FPS, in Noise Reduction, The M1 Max can hold Temporal 3 Frames Quality Better 4K Timeline 24/26FPS, the RX 6600 8GB can hold 22/24FPS. One Friend has the RX 6900 XT and one time we tested with my machine, and the same level noise reduction gaves us 58/65FPS!!!!! The RX 6900 XT is a monster GPU and Apple Claimed that the M1 Ultra has the same level of performance against the most powerfull GPU in the market (RTX 3090/RX 6900 XT) so...

I tested my Hackintosh in Davinci Resolve VS MacBookPro M1 Max 64GB version
Is this the 14" or the 16" version of the MBP ?

If it is the 14" watch this video starting at the 3:50 timestamp to learn about why the CPU and graphics underperform in the 14" MBP.

Even if you have the 16" it still isn't a fair comparison between a desktop, that draws a lot more power, with more robust cooling, compared to a thermally restricted laptop form factor. I'm certain that the cooling in Mac Studio will greatly outperform Apple laptops to enable better performance in Davinci Resolve.

Last edited:
Ok let´s go, I tested my Hackintosh in Davinci Resolve VS MacBookPro M1 Max 64GB version, in Davinci Resolve the test the Benchmark CPU/GPU Test, the M1 MAX gives 38FPS for CPU 8K, the Core i5 12600K gives 48FPS, the M1 Max in GPU Gives 165FPS, the RX 6600 8GB gives 148FPS. In real editing testing 120FPS, I downloaded from RED, samples, a 320FPS files. The M1 Max in Davinci Resolve could reproduce until 67FPS, the Core i5 12600K can reproduce until 78FPS, in Noise Reduction, The M1 Max can hold Temporal 3 Frames Quality Better 4K Timeline 24/26FPS, the RX 6600 8GB can hold 22/24FPS. One Friend has the RX 6900 XT and one time we tested with my machine, and the same level noise reduction gaves us 58/65FPS!!!!! The RX 6900 XT is a monster GPU and Apple Claimed that the M1 Ultra has the same level of performance against the most powerfull GPU in the market (RTX 3090/RX 6900 XT) so...
Any other experience regarding day to day general task responsiveness (web browsing - email - basic stuff)?

Is this the 14" or the 16" version of the MBP ?

If it is the 14" watch this video starting at the 3:50 timestamp to learn about why the CPU and graphics underperform in the 14" MBP.

Even if you have the 16" it still isn't a fair comparison between a desktop, that draws a lot more power, with more robust cooling, compared to a thermally restricted laptop form factor. I'm certain that the cooling in Mac Studio will greatly outperform Apple laptops to enable better performance in Davinci Resolve.
Yep that's a point, maybe we'll discover an higher clock for Mac Studio!

Any other experience regarding day to day general task responsiveness (web browsing - email - basic stuff)

Any other experience regarding day to day general task responsiveness (web browsing - email - basic stuff)?

Yep that's a point, maybe we'll discover an higher clock for Mac Studio!
The 16 inches version is the one I have.... in my opinion and experience, is a mistake to change your actual rig for the basic Mac Studio, I tell you my experience, when I bought the M1 Max Almost Max Out, I was supper exciting, but I got really disappointed in some areas, in other super suprised, but to be honest at the beginning, the M1 Max was performing almost like a RTX 3050 ti, really not joking, with updates in some softwares, the performance is improving, that's why I still keep my Desktop Hackintosh, my plan was to buy the M1 Max and sell my other machines, thank god I delayed that, because in that time I would be really ****ed. ARM is still fresh, to optimize a software takes years, I need to work with a laptop to carry my workflow, that's why I invested in a M1 Max but looking the reality, we will need at least one more year or two until ARM Apple Silicon really shines, right now not really in some cases yes in other cases the perform weird. Sometimes I saw some Pro Apple Youtubers and said so many lies about the machines, or only they test in the areas they know the machine shines, but never touches the areas where the machine really does bad, that is the truth and I am telling you having a Hackintosh and a Real Apple Silicon the Macbook M1 Max almost Max Out...

Last edited:
Even more fun than the M1 whatever:
AAPL 2022-03-08.jpg

They said the M1 Ultra GPU is 80% or 1.8x faster than a W6900X. If the M1 Ultra GPU is twice as fast as the M1 Max it would make its Metal Geekbench score 128,000 but a W6900X has a Metal score of 170,000. Even with better cooling on the desktop version I don't see how the M1 Ultra can be nearly twice as fast.

edit: OK I worked it out. Apple is using the Affinity Photo benchmark: "Tested with Affinity Photo 1.10.4 using the built-in benchmark version 11021."

r/applesucks - Apple selected benchmark vs Geekbench benchmark M1 Ultra GPU vs W6900X

Last edited:
Back