Contribute
Register

Apple Announces M1 Ultra CPU, Mac Studio and Studio Display

I think many people underestimate the longevity of SSDs.

If iStat Menus is to be believed, the Western Digital SN750 in my desktop still has 100% of life and it has been in use since July 2021 and the system stays on 24/7.

View attachment 544952

My HP EX920 has been in use even longer (approx 3 years?) and I use it as a scratch disk which means it has seen pretty heavy usage at times...

View attachment 544953

Excellent and encouraging. :thumbup:

With me, I'm into photography, then video recording and audio recording live concerts.

With my photos, the RAW files take up around 3.5 MB each, and it is not uncommon to have a session where I take anywhere from 300 - 1,000 shots. And not only that, but I keep a triple backup of all my photos.

With video and audio, the raw footage and recordings take up a lot of space, especially after processing. Then I used to trade or torrent recordings with other tapers too. In fact one of my latest projects is that I met a taper here in the Bay Area who recorded tons of concerts starting in the 1980's, starting with cassette tapes. So I've been helping him digitize those so that they are forever preserved.

Call me a digital hoarder!

My buddy from second grade went to The O2 in London last November to catch New Order and he sent me some videos he captured on his iPhone and it was awesome. I think New Order sounds better than ever.

Last edited:
Lol

It was originally just for music and movies, but I had to use it temporarily for my emulation stuff as I am still cleaning up my HP ProDesk 400 G6 Batocera build. Organizing all the different consoles, artwork, etc., takes time.

That's one drawback about moving to the M1. The emulation scene is in a renaissance period right now, and the majority of the emulators are on Windows unfortunately. The Playstation emulators (Duckstation, PCSX2, RPCS3) are incredible. The Nintendo ones are really good too. I think even the Citra Switch emulator is pretty good. If I remember correctly, the PS emulators all use Vulkan. In fact, the breakthrough in performance was when Duckstation was able to map all the hardware to Vulkan, which others said could not be done. Then the Vulkan compatibility was applied to the PS2 and PS3 emulators.

That's one drawback about moving to the M1. The emulation scene is in a renaissance period right now, and the majority of the emulators are on Windows unfortunately. The Playstation emulators (Duckstation, PCSX2, RPCS3) are incredible. The Nintendo ones are really good too. I think even the Citra Switch emulator is pretty good. If I remember correctly, the PS emulators all use Vulkan. In fact, the breakthrough in performance was when Duckstation was able to map all the hardware to Vulkan, which others said could not be done. Then the Vulkan compatibility was applied to the PS2 and PS3 emulators.

Yes, Vulcan (or MoltenVK) is working on macOS versions of DuckStation, PCSX2, and RPCS3. I've tested them a bit on my hack and they work great. That being said, a few months back, I picked up a SFF HP ProDesk 400 G6 and upgraded it with i9-9900 and RX 560 primarily for the purpose of running Batocera. I have all of the above emulators running extremely well and play games on it (at least a bit) almost everyday. It's really fantastic. I can't wait to try on my Mac Studio whenever it arrives.

Btw, Citra is a Nintendo 3DS emulator and Yuzu is the Switch emulator.

Funny how I used to play PS1 games on my old B&W PowerMac G3 using Connectix Virtual Game Station and I've come full circle and will play PS3 games on an Apple Silicon Mac.

Last edited:
Yes, Vulcan (or MoltenVK) is working on macOS versions of DuckStation, PCSX2, and RPCS3. I've tested them a bit on my hack and they work great. That being said, a few months back, I picked up a SFF HP ProDesk 400 G6 and upgraded it with i9-9900 and RX 560 primarily for the purpose of running Batocera. I have all of the above emulators running extremely well and play games on it (at least a bit) almost everyday. It's really fantastic. I can't wait to try on my Mac Studio whenever it arrives.

Btw, Citra is a Nintendo 3DS emulator and Yuzu is the Switch emulator.

Funny how I used to play PS1 games on my old B&W PowerMac G3 using Connectix Virtual Game Station and I've come full circle and will play PS3 games on an Apple Silicon Mac.

I've got you beat on that! I actually bought bleem! which was a PS1 emulator for the PC. It was basically DOA and couldn't run many games very well.

I've got you beat on that! I actually bought bleem! which was a PS1 emulator for the PC. It was basically DOA and couldn't run many games very well.

I remember reading about Bleem. Lol

Connectix Virtual Game Station was awesome and ran really well. Sony tried to sue them and lost then bought out the company. I think I still have the original Virtual Game Station box somewhere.

The best you can hope is that it might work with DisplayPort signal carried on "USB Alt mode", as non-Thunderbolt laptop would output through a USB-C port.

But the best part of hackintoshes is using standard parts and connectors (here, DisplayPort), so I would just suggest to embrace that and get a good non-Apple monitor. Dell sells some quality displays—or an Eizo CG if your budget has the sky for limit.

Thank you for the reply. I think you're probably right. I'm not against a 3rd party monitor. I was just hoping I could step up to an Apple Studio monitor now, then upgrade to a Mac later, and be fully integrated into the Apple Borg setup.

I just sort'uv hoped a converter of some kind would work as a stop gap.

I do like the Mac Studio "modular" (cough) setup - i.e. I strongly prefer the computer separate from the monitor. Unfortunately the cost is a fair bit higher than I expected (hoped for?) with a 27" iMac. Hence the interest in spacing out the purchases (Apple Studio monitor now, ? Apple computer later).

I guess I'll keep pondering.

Last edited:
Thank you for the reply. I think you're probably right. I'm not against a 3rd party monitor. I was just hoping I could step up to an Apple Studio monitor now, then upgrade to a Mac later, and be fully integrated into the Apple Borg setup.

I just sort'uv hoped a converter of some kind would work as a stop gap.

I do like the Mac Studio "modular" (cough) setup - i.e. I strongly prefer the computer separate from the monitor. Unfortunately the cost is a fair bit higher than I expected (hoped for?) with a 27" iMac. Hence the interest in spacing out the purchases (Apple Studio monitor now, ? Apple computer later).

I guess I'll keep pondering.
You could always try to get Thunderbolt working on your hack, then buy the monitor if you do... in the end if you fail to get the monitor to work you could buy a M1 Mac mini till you can get a better system. I would guess the M1 Mac mini would be more powerful then the system your using since your GPU is likely bottled necked by the 4th gen CPU... M1 Mac mini with that monitor would put you at a lower end 27" iMac only you could upgrade the system later :) and still have a working monitor.

I do like the Mac Studio "modular" (cough) setup - i.e. I strongly prefer the computer separate from the monitor.
Any non-Apple monitor will work with the Mac Studio, through a USB-C or HDMI input… Modularity works both ways.

Any non-Apple monitor will work with the Mac Studio, through a USB-C or HDMI input… Modularity works both ways.
Thunderbolt 3 implies DisplayPort 1.2 or later. So it would be a huge surprise if the Studio Display didn't work with DisplayPort sources.

Back