Contribute
Register

Apple Announces "3rd Transition" for macOS: From Intel CPUs to Apple Silicon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apple killed a part of me by switching to ARM. :(

Why do you say that? I really don't understand these types of overdramatic responses to the news. Can we all please get a grip?

A string ARM64_BUILD is just added to World of Warcraft: Shadowlands Alpha Build 34972 yesterday.

A string ARM64_BUILD is just added to World of Warcraft: Shadowlands Alpha Build 34972 yesterday.

Well Duh you did not think Blizzard/Activision was going to give up their subs, did you? Plus I would guess that wow is fairly portable. This change for Apple comes at a good time for blizzard since they can just deploy the ARM code in Shadowlands.

Huawei 8 core ARM desktop PC.

Use auto-translate for English subtitles.
From about 6'30' mins. onwards she talks a little about why the Chinese still have a way to go with domestic PC design and production and earlier spoke about software compatibility hurdles too.

Well Duh you did not think Blizzard/Activision was going to give up their subs, did you? Plus I would guess that wow is fairly portable. This change for Apple comes at a good time for blizzard since they can just deploy the ARM code in Shadowlands.
The best scenario would be an ARM64 compatible build of Shadowlands getting ready right before the first Apple Silicon Macs.

The best scenario would be an ARM64 compatible build of Shadowlands getting ready right before the first Apple Silicon Macs.

I would guess they already have apple Silicon mac mini test kits, and likely to deploy ARM at the same time they release the pre-patch.

After taking a while to consider all this transition I made an executive decision. I bought a cheap Mac mini. I will use it as my second computer. It is upgradeable to Big Sur. Honestly I have always noticed that real Macs are better than any Hackintosh at some things - even with the mediocre graphics cards in a Mac mini. I will keep my main Hackintosh going but I no longer have plans to build anymore. Maybe something will change. I am convinced that the interaction that will be built in to the ARM Macs will be worth the cost. I fully expect a hybrid Mac OS/Iphone OS system at some point in the future. It just makes sense. Apple can put a desktop class processor in a phone, iPad, laptop, and desktop. It will be awesome. It has always been to me about how well the software works not how fast the hardware is. If I just wanted hardware speed I would switch to AMD and run windows or linux. Mac OS is just better. My plan is to quit trying to cut corners and reinvent the wheel. I will just buy an ARM Mac as soon as they come out.

After taking a while to consider all this transition I made an executive decision. I bought a cheap Mac mini. I will use it as my second computer. It is upgradeable to Big Sur. Honestly, I have always noticed that real Macs are better than any Hackintosh at some things - even with the mediocre graphics cards in a Mac mini. I will keep my main Hackintosh going but I no longer have plans to build anymore. Maybe something will change. I am convinced that the interaction that will be built into the ARM Macs will be worth the cost. I fully expect a hybrid Mac OS/iPhone OS system at some point in the future. It just makes sense. Apple can put a desktop-class processor in a phone, iPad, laptop, and desktop. It will be awesome. It has always been to me about how well the software works not how fast the hardware is. If I just wanted hardware speed I would switch to AMD and run Windows or Linux. Mac OS is just better. My plan is to quit trying to cut corners and reinvent the wheel. I will just buy an ARM Mac as soon as they come out.

You can get an Egpu and plug it into the Mac Mini if you need a more powerful GPU. I have a 2018 mac mini with an EGPU for gaming it has about 25% reduction in performance based on benchmarks... But when I use it to render I do not notice a large increase in time maybe 20 sec or so. The programs I use to build my rendering scenes are Unreal Studio and Twin Motion. However, with have no idea if EGPU will still be in the cards once the change over is complete. The Dev Mac Mini does not support thunderbolt :-/

In the real world my office 2014 2.6ghz i5 Mac mini had about double the rendering speed of my Hackintosh with the rx580. The Hackintosh beats the Mac mini in every hardware spec by a wide margin. And yet the Mac mini will outperform it in many tasks. It is the software integration with the hardware that makes it better - I assume. I will look into an external gpu if I can find one that won't break the bank.

In the real world my office 2014 2.6ghz i5 Mac mini had about double the rendering speed of my Hackintosh with the rx580. The Hackintosh beats the Mac mini in every hardware spec by a wide margin. And yet the Mac mini will outperform it in many tasks. It is the software integration with the hardware that makes it better - I assume. I will look into an external gpu if I can find one that won't break the bank.

Something's not configured right on the hack if a 2014 Mac mini is outperforming it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back