Contribute
Register

Apple Announces "3rd Transition" for macOS: From Intel CPUs to Apple Silicon

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have never seen the need to be on the bleeding edge. I am still building my Hackintosh's with older hardware. I do it on a budget for the enjoyment of building something that was never meant to be. I am typing this on my "Rubik's Cube" running High Sierra because it has a GTX 750 Ti in it. I am running Catalina on a 61 series motherboard with a GT730 (Kepler). I don't really need a Z390 mobo yet, so I have plenty of room to grow and many more years of hacking to build, well beyond 2025.
I am just building a Z390 system with i9 9900K processzor it will serve me well for years to come

So here's my recommendation for any (meaning every) Hackintosh user: make sure you have a spare SSD running Windows 10 (a 240GB will do just fine, and they are pretty cheap ~$25-$30 here in the US).

Make sure you can always boot into it, and keep it up to date. Install some of the programs you use on the Mac side (if they have Windows versions), and keep them up to date too. Use it from time to time.

I have Windows 10 on every system I have, fully configured, even on my Macbook Pro 16,1. I can transfer files back and forth and projects too.

I'm with you mm2margaret. There is a lot of debate here about the speed of transition or the corollary, the end of Intel support. That completely depends on if Apple has the heavyweights like Adobe and others onboard with the transition to Apple Silicon. I suspect that the specialty video production software running on the Mac Pros may not be easily rewritten to a new processor, but Apple may already have convinced these companies to transition. So only Apple has a realistic timeline.

The move to ARM looks to me like a smart strategic move by Apple to unify the experience across all the consumer level devices. When you think about it, 90% of the computing a typical consumer does can be performed by a laptop running a web browser. So you can use MacOS, Windows, Chromebook, Linux, etc. It looks like Apple's "hook" to differentiate the experience is to have a user's Apple devices all seamlessly communicating together.

Personally I find all the bells and whistles to be annoying. I initially liked having iMessages on my desktop so I don't have to thumb-type my texts, but now my family and friends are complaining my texts are too long. Not only that, but when I am focusing on work, the texts on iMessages pop up and I lose my concentration, or worse, start a conversation.

Until then, I am keeping my iOS stuff on my iPhone (where I can "forget it" in another room so it can flash, beep and buzz to its heart's content) and my productivity stuff on my Hackintosh. Hopefully that can continue for a long, long time.

So, I spent the entire day working on my X299 system on Windows 10. It was fine. I actually did some renders with the latest version of Resolve and that went swimmingly......very fast, and faster than the same renders on Catalina or Mojave.

The programs I use the most, Resolve, the Adobe suite, Media Composer, the Office suite, etc, all run just fine on Windows 10. I don't care about the Apple only stuff like FCPX, Motion, Compressor, et al. They're fine, but just not that important to me.

I like macOS, but I'm not married to it and I won't have a big cry if I can't run the latest version of macOS, Big Sur, or whatever it is, I don't care that much. I really don't.

I care about the work I do, and not the OS I run on.

I think all of you smart Hackintoshers should put your (our) heads together and make something better. Apple is making something better. Good for them. The way the Apple system works fluidly between Mac Os, IPadOS, etc., is fantastic. I look forward to see what they are doing. Most of my computer time is spent on my iPad Pro. But I need a desktop for some things so I have a couple of hackintoshes. And I find I am more creative with a big monitor. I don’t think the Hackintosh is dead or ever will be. It’s just too much fun building something and getting it to work. Be creative. That’s why you like mac OS it lets you be creative. 20 years ago I was using some version of the PowerPC and could barely use it to edit standard def tv video. Now I can edit 4K on my phone. That is all thanks to Apple. I keep trying Linux out from time to time. Some things work great and then some things work like MS Dos from the 1980’s. Too many chiefs are in the Linux world for it to ever work well in its current state. Maybe if some of the distros would work together the major software companies would be glad to port there products over. Windows is windows, I could use it but honestly why would I?

This could be the start of something great. If things change in the next ten years as much as they have in the past ten years or so I doubt that we will really care if we can build a hackintosh anyway. I will probably be able to just wirelessly connect my ARM powered iphone 20+ to a monitor system or apple glasses and run everything at blazing speeds. All I will need is a cell phone account and a payment plan.

I think that our hackintoshes have future for at least 10 years from now. Last Year apple introduced Mac-Pro. These machines will have easily 8-10 year lifespan. Apple also said at wwdc that they will introduce another Mac computers with intel chips. This is going to be a slow transition and also they don't have yet powerful A1* processors for high end macs. From my understanding watching wwdc the intel processors vs apple silicon will have their pros and cons. SO it's too early to call an intel based hackintosh a product that comes to its end of life. I imagine that in a couple of years we will be able to build hackintoshes with a lot of cores inside at a much reasonable prices. Intel is losing ground all the time and has to respond to the competition.

I am sure Apple is moving to ARM, not because of performance, but because of capabilities. Their own chips can and will deliver new capabilities that are not possible on Intel. They have their own vision of the future of computing and they might be right in the direction it should be taking. I hope somebody, who is better versed in ARM chips and Apple chips in particular can write their thoughts on how future ARM chips will be better, not more powerful. I'll take a look into the subject, but I am just a layman.

I need to think and decide if I want to invest in one more hackintosh before the end of the line for Intel Macs...

Me too! Probably this might be worth it if the Q4 Intel iMacs will be on Rocket Lake-S (Z590) platform only. Because, if it'd be the case, we'll have PciEx 4.0 and TB4, and USB4 as well. So we will have a machine that can last 4 years for sure. Then we will migrate to an Apple Store... :lol:

Hackintosh Thoughts:

“Planned Obsolescence” - ALL electronics companies that want to stay in business do this. ALL.

“Backwards Compatibility” - I am glad that Apple forced the market to ditch those old D-series connectors and use USB. Those old RSC232, DB-19, DB-25 - or even the Apple Desktop Bus, all gone thanks to forward thinking engineers who found better and faster and more reliable ways of doing things.

I’m glad Apple forced the world to go to CDs for software distribution and then a few years later they dumped CD to move to downloads. The Intel world followed suit.

Apple is one of the few computer companies that is always looking FORWARD and that forces all the others to catch up.

Stop worrying about compatibility and hang on and enjoy the ride! AOL is DEAD, thank goodness.

I started my Hack because the Macs weren’t keeping up with my needs. My four year old 8-Core 2008 Mac was donated to make way for my hack. I payed $4,000 for that 2008 Mac and I just gave it away after four years. Also, I use MacOS because I don’t want to worry about updates. For many years I would just upgraded the OS on the day it released and I never gave it a thought. I didn’t even backup my drive! But now with my Hack, those days are long gone. Every update brings trepidation.

I will be buying a Apple Silicon Mac at some point in the future, perhaps when BattleField 15 comes out.:headbang:

So my advice to everyone:

Stop “investing” in a computer and start investing in the computer COMPANY. You’ll get more return on your investment.

I am sure Apple is moving to ARM, not because of performance, but because of capabilities. Their own chips can and will deliver new capabilities that are not possible on Intel. They have their own vision of the future of computing and they might be right in the direction it should be taking. I hope somebody, who is better versed in ARM chips and Apple chips in particular can write their thoughts on how future ARM chips will be better, not more powerful. I'll take a look into the subject, but I am just a layman.
As for my work which includes video editing, color grading and photo editing, my needs are mostly powerful cpus with many cores and great gpus. Im sure that Apple needs a lot of time to be able to compete with cpus at that level. At the end of the day it's not only about how their operating systems (macOS, iOS, iPadOS) work together BUT softwares from companies like Adobe, Blackmagic, Auotodesk, etc that need a lot horse power!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back