Contribute
Register

Apple Announces "3rd Transition" for macOS: From Intel CPUs to Apple Silicon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well done! :thumbup:
In my opinion, it is also convenient to register the simple tonymac, so that you can choose whether to keep everything integrated in a site just by doing maybe two separate sectors, for the old and the new, when it will eventually be.
And in any case tonymac.com now with the story behind it no longer needs additions or specifications is sufficient as it is.

macOS 11.0 Big Sur will be supported on certain Macs going back 7 years. That is the basis for my forecast. Of course reality can be different. There is no need to mention "disillusionment" because even for owners of Real Macs such as myself with my new 2020 13" MacBook Pro, Apple has not told them (or me) how much longer they will be supported.

View attachment 477700
I think this forecast is probably close to real

I think this forecast is probably close to real
On a "Pro" machine I cannot imagine Apple dropping macOS support in less than 7 years. Anything can happen, but Tim Cook said this in the WWDC keynote yesterday:

At the 1 hour 46 minute mark:

"We plan to continue to support and release new versions of macOS for Intel-based Macs for years to come. In fact, we have some new Intel-based Macs in the pipeline that we're really excited about."

Whle I do use Linux and Windows when I must, I can't see myself using either as my daily OS. I have always liked the UI of macOS best. I am most comfortable with macOS. I know macOS far better than any of the alternatives. Personally, I'm looking forward to buying my first ARM based Mac.

In my opinion the current hierarchy of UI's goes MacOS, Windows, Linux. MacOS is still the most polished and usable to me, but Windows 10 is a lot better than previous versions. Linux is somewhat primitive as far as the UI is concerned, and I don't see it catching up as the development is splintered in too many directions. I'm sure that I will consider buying an ARM based Mac in the future for at least one of my computers. If Apple could just build a machine where I could control the noise and the fan sizes and shapes it would make me much happier.

Mid-2021 to early 2022 for Mac Pro I presume.
I highly doubt it, but let's see. Apple only makes one ARM/Bionic chip at a time, don't they? I think they had a graphic that showed they've released one ARM chip every year since 2010. Unless they scale up production to where you have options on how powerful the ARM chip is the Mac Pro is pretty safe.

The iMac was always kind of a laptop in a desktop case so it makes sense to me that they are the first models. I'm guessing some new ARM-based 14 core 31.5" iMac in 2022-23 will be next after the 24". Total speculation I have no inside scoop :D

I think we still have about six or seven years left, maybe a bit more, until Apple stops supporting the last of their Intel machines with O.S. updates. By then I'll be 75+ and probably not doing too much video and audio editing and won't need all the options and benefits I get from my Hacks now. But if, in six years, I can still build one on the latest Intel hardware and run their latest OS, who knows?
I'm feeling bad for the developers with good products who just won't be interested in trying to write for and support another processor. Rosetta 2 won't last forever... But buy a new Mac? Nope, never again sadly...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back