Contribute
Register

Apple Announces "3rd Transition" for macOS: From Intel CPUs to Apple Silicon

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you do switch back, will you have to switch to another "main" set of programs? I toy with switching to Windows, but there's no Logic Pro for Windows. I do own Digital Performer and Ableton but the ergonomic setback is HUGE and I do it for fun/leisure not a living.

Most of them have Windows versions, but there are a few that don't and I'll have to figure out what to do with those. It will frustrate me a lot to have to learn new software, but what other option do I have? Even if I made enough to purchase a MacPro, I can't justify that kind of cost for what I would use it for.

To say two words about Hackintosh too ...
Nobody can know if a complete hardware market will be born around the new ARM architecture, such as the one that exists around Intel or AMD in the future and therefore it will be possible to create an ARM PC regardless of the operating system to be installed.
After all, the economic interests that will shift are very high and hardware manufacturers may be interested in creating a new market on which to earn for sure.
In this scenario and on this scenario, communities such as this one in which we find ourselves could be inserted and contribute and even be decisive precisely for the stimulus to the birth of that market, developing solutions capable of allowing the installation of new versions of MacOS, just as it happens Now.
Who knows that the good tonymacx86.com does not see the birth of a younger brother with the name of tonymacARM.com and who knows if the founder of our community has not already registered the domain? ;-)
tonymacarm.com is registered today but who bought it is unknown.

** The end of Hackintosh as we know it **

Yesterday's momentous announcement of the transition to Apple Silicon means that Macintosh will eventually become a completely closed and proprietary system.

But this won't happen right away. There is plenty of time. The chart below is one way of forecasting the future. It is not an official chart (obviously), but it does show three inevitable phases for Hackintosh, in green, orange, and red.

View attachment 477661

P.S. If this post looks familiar, it's because of a request to repost it here.

This chart is flawed. There is absolutely no guarantee that there will be 7 years of macOS support.

The MacBook4,2 was released in October 14, 2008. The last officially supported version of macOS for the MacBook4,2 was Lion which was released in July, 2011. That's under 3 years. If you count the last release of Lion (10.7.5), it would be October 4, 2012 which would make it 10 days under 4 years.

I highly doubt Apple would waste time, money, and resources on continued development of X86/X64 versions of macOS seven years after discontinuing Intel based Macs.

Screen Shot 2020-06-23 at 2.41.30 PM.png
Source:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacBook_(2006–2012)

Screen Shot 2020-06-23 at 2.43.18 PM.png
Source:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_OS_X_Lion

Last edited:
tonymacarm.com is registered today but who bought it is unknown.

I hope he is the founder of this site or something for him and I hope it is not the classic attempt at speculation against those who have the right to a similar name. In any case, sooner or later the truth will also be known about this. If I saw myself taking away the right to the name of my site and then I saw myself the victim of speculation, I would certainly find another name, rather than giving it away.
It is also possible that someone else thinks of riding the story built on the name of this site and therefore burning the stages of popularity, but certainly here the contents are based on the facts and concreteness that is brought by the members of the community who once informed by original tonymac site about truth, they would leave that site empty as it deserves with only its stolen name and no content.

If you go back far enough, in the late 1980s there was a hardware emulator that allowed you to turn an Atari ST into a Mac by using OS upgrade ROMs - the hardware was close enough, it's just the software was only supplied on a chip.
I also used an "Emplant expansion card" in a Commordore Amiga 2000. The Amiga had the same 68000 CPU as the original Mac, and you could run System 6 or 7 on it.

One thing that I haven't seen much discussion of is how the Developer Transition Kit (ARM based MacMini) lacks Thunderbolt. I suspect that Thunderbolt will go the way of the dinosaurs on ARM based Macs and only USB 4 will be supported moving forward.

One thing that I haven't seen much discussion of is how the Developer Transition Kit (ARM based MacMini) lacks Thunderbolt. I suspect that Thunderbolt will go the way of the dinosaurs on ARM based Macs and only USB 4 will be supported moving forward.

From the DTK screengrabs of About this Mac it also has no main drive or GPU either. Confused me ... Maybe same reason no TB ports?

As for dropping TB - interesting, given the Mac Mini 2018 features just 2x conventional USB3.1 ports and 4x Thunderbolt 3. My expectation for this choice by Apple was that when the Mac Mini's onboard SSD finally reached EOL and becomes write-only, the owner could plug in an external USB/TB3 SSD caddy and resume operations. TB having the edge, but perhaps there for another reason...

Yep, USB4.0 will be the new USB standard but it needs a USB-C format plug/socket. It will also support Thunderbolt 4. To the outside world it will look just the same, with a different icon/logo.

Last edited:
This chart is flawed. There is absolutely no guarantee that there will be 7 years of macOS support.
Your interpretation of the chart is flawed. It's one possible forecast with the assumption that macOS will be supported for 7 years on last Intel model sold. Every forecast has built-in assumptions.

If you create a chart yourself, it too will be flawed because you don't know what Apple will do.

Nobody knows what Apple will do but I really don't see intel support going away in 3 years. The pace of CPU performance gains has really slowed. I'm still using a 2012 computer daily (w/ i7 3770) which is still pretty fast in modern operating systems. Even Apple's own CPUs aren't immune. I used to get a new phone every 2 year like clockwork because old phones felt sluggish, but I'm still using my iPhone 7, which is nearly 4 years old.

That Core 2 Duo macbook probably couldn't run El Capitain well enough, but I don't see a 2021 intel mac struggling to run whatever OS apple releases in 3 years.

The MacBook4,2 was released in October 14, 2008. The last officially supported version of macOS for the MacBook4,2 was Lion which was released in July, 2011. That's under 3 years. If you count the last release of Lion (10.7.5), it would be October 4, 2012 which would make it 10 days under 4 years.

I highly doubt Apple would waste time, money, and resources on continued development of X86/X64 versions of macOS seven years after discontinuing Intel based Macs.

View attachment 477681
Source:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacBook_(2006–2012)

View attachment 477682
Source:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_OS_X_Lion
I have a Late 2012 13” MacBook Pro – Big Sur just moved it to the unsupported list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back