Contribute
Register

Apple Announces "3rd Transition" for macOS: From Intel CPUs to Apple Silicon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow! This has such a different feel and many more unknowns than the switch from PPC to Intel X86. This is a much more complex transition than anything done successfully before in the PC world. Here are a few thoughts...

From my perspective:
Apple seems to be completely abandoning the enthusiast and tinkerer market. I bought a Power Mac G4 Cube in 2001 (and loved it by the way). I used that computer daily until 2011, along the way upgrading the RAM, hard drive, graphics card and PROCESSOR. I also had a 2009 Mac Mini for a second system, and bought a 2011 Mac Mini when the Cube bit the dust. Is built my first Hackintosh less than a year later, because I really liked upgrading and tinkering with the Cube. I will build another Hackintosh probably later this year. Even though I don't always have time to do as much tinkering as I would like, it is just so much fun that I will be sad to see it go away. I have 2 other computers running Windows and I will probably transition to that OS when I can no longer build my own Mac. I have waited since 2001 for Apple to release another upgradable midrange headless Mac, but it seems they are no longer interested in this at all. They just like control too much - especially Tim Cook. It really does seem that Tim Cook represents the choice of a sickly Steve Jobs at the end of his time here when a desire to CONTOL something was paramount as his life and illness was rapidly spinning completely out of anyone's control.

From Apple's perspective???
Apple has a HUGE (I REALLY MEAN HUGE) user base built with the iPhone. Many with the iPhone would never even consider using an Android, and most of these are YOUNG, ages 12-30. Because of things like iChat, there are entire high schools (and colleges?) [I'm speaking of the USA here] where almost all the students have iPhones because it is the only way they can connect with their friends. This is the future of the brand and of computing. That group is also generally more affluent because they can already afford an iPhone. As much as we may not like it, MANY young people today really wish they had a computer that works like their iPhone including the touch interface. They sometimes have difficulty transitioning to a mouse and keyboard because they have grown up with a touch interface. As it sits, many iPhone users still use Windows, and this may be Apple trying to give them a reason to change to the Mac.

Final thoughts:
Perhaps Apple will release Apple Silicon AXX based motherboards for enthusiasts to build with. Well, one can dream anyway.

Correct me if I am wrong but they never mention ARM going into a pro machine. Macbook Pro 13" first, then the new 24" iMac (and of course the dev machine).

Current ARM tech is nowhere close to what Intel is doing with Xeon CPUs. I am assuming based on this that the Mac Pro will be around... forever. At least for another 20-30 years. If Apple can even catch up at all I would be surprised. 28 core Xeons crush ARM chips.

Same with GPU tech. ARM cannot compete with NVIDIA or AMD. Sure, ARM is fast for iPad games but for doing work outside of making spreadsheets? I am very skeptical.

I built my current i9 machine to last for 10 years. With this news, I still feel pretty safe about those 10 years, and ill probably build a few more. I work in Avid often anyway and most editors/directors are still in Mojave. If I update to Catalina before 2022 I would be surprised :D
The first Mac Pro was released over a year after the transition announcement, so it doesn’t mean that there won’t be when Apple didn’t mention pro machines.

Perhaps Apple will release Apple Silicon AXX based motherboards for enthusiasts to build with. Well, one can dream anyway.
What an alternative-universe dream.

The first Mac Pro was released over a year after the transition announcement, so it doesn’t mean that there won’t be when Apple didn’t mention pro machines.
Yeah, I remember that transition. I had a roommate that worked at Apple at the time and got the first Intel Mac Pro. It was an under powered Piece of crap. But by the 2008 dual CPU version they were actually cheaper and more powerful than the equivalent dell. Hell I worked at a place that was buying them and installing windows 7 on them cause they were cheaper than Dells for the same CPU configuration.

I have to say as a Autodesk Maya user when they showed that thing running Maya I was pretty impressed. the running 4 streams of 4K prores a the same time and adjusting while it is playing. that is a pretty big deal! I just really hope that they really work with companies like BlackMagic Design I really would like to see these things run Resolve! it the performance and the software is there people wont care what CPU it is running.

I built my first Hackintosh this year. It was a lot of fun and I will get useful life out of it, but I think the transition will happen more quickly than most folks here are thinking.

Q2 2020: Announce
Q4 2020: MacOS 16, ARM iMac & Mac Mini and Apple Silicon MPX Module for Mac Pro)
Q2 2021: MacBook Air (needed for Aug back to school)
Q4 2021: MacOS 17, ARM 13/16" Laptops, MacPro ARM Motherboard option
Q4 2022: MacOS 18
Q4 2023: MacOS 19 (Last OS with Intel Support)
Q4 2024: MacOS/iPad OS Convergence (no support for Intel Macs)
Q4 2025: NewOS No longer contains Rosetta 2
Q4 2026: Apple ends security patches for MacOS 19 // RIP

Going forward, I guess lightweight stuffs (browsing/email/Slack...etc) I'll be on iPad Pro with Magic Keyboard. For FCP X/Adobe Ai/Autocad, Hackie still able to serve for years, it's almost impossible for Apple Silicon SoC to outperform a dedicated GPU, so there's still time to..... learn Premiere Pro on Windows.

It's been great ride guys. 7 years. Many, many hackintosh builds for friends & myself.

Pro app like Final cut users will be able to use hackintoshes for few more years. But for ios devs like us, it's the end of line !

Every single ios devs would want to support/run their ipad/ios apps in mac for free as soon as they can. Which means arm support. Although they have announced universal binary for intel-arm interop, I think that's just a crutch that will go away.

Ain't too bad though. Them machines are powerful. Just a bit pricy is all

I've been more and more disappointed with the direction Apple is going. And I think this is the end. Probably won't buy or build another Mac.

Not that it's unexpected. It isn't. But I'm slightly worried for the future of the Mac. Mostly windows compatibility and bootcamp. But oh well. Given Apple and how they are, I suppose the writing was on the wall for a change.

I need to think and decide if I want to invest in one more hackintosh before the end of the line for Intel Macs...

just got z490, I haven't purchased the CPU yet.
but if there is no comet lake base iMac release it seems useless...
I hope Apple releases 10th intel iMac or anything running on 10600k or 10900k.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back