Contribute
Register

Apple Announces "3rd Transition" for macOS: From Intel CPUs to Apple Silicon

Status
Not open for further replies.
As of now we are good with Big Sur as it runs on non-T2 macs. If they change that in the future we have some difficulty but good for a while.

As of now we are good with Big Sur as it runs on non-T2 macs. If they change that in the future we have some difficulty but good for a while.
we should be fine for a few more years

I think so. Even if they go aggressively we likely have 3 years till it's a different thing. And who knows what that looks like.

we should be fine for a few more years

I think so. Even if they go aggressively we likely have 3 years till it's a different thing. And who knows what that looks like.
a lot of peeps are going crazy saying this is the end, it may be, but we don't know until if or when it happens

also, things change a lot in hackintosh, there may also be a way to "Fake" the CPU like we can with Pentium Processors... again, just speculation

everyone just needs to calm down, relax and enjoy what we do have and worry when there is something to worry about

also, things change a lot in hackintosh, there may also be a way to "Fake" the CPU like we can with Pentium Processors... again, just speculation

A Pentium is still an x86 chip so you can fake it because the CPU still processes x86 instruction set. However, what can be done is to emulate the ARM instruction set to allow it to work on x86 to process ARM instructions. Emulation is how it was done 15 years ago albeit the hardware stack was very limited. Like you had to use a creative sound card, a good Diamond MM card generally worked for video and a USR modem to dial-up to the internet. Back then I was a windows guy but the challenge of getting Mac OS to run on PC hardware in a DOS emulator excited me. The move to apple silicon is more like a molehill, rather then the mountain people are making out it.

Last edited:
Here is some info on the Apple Silicone GPU: "Codenamed "Lifuka," the self-developed GPU to feature in the Apple Silicon powered ‌iMac‌ will be produced using TSMC's 5-nanometer manufacturing process, and will offer better performance and be more energy efficient than the Intel processor it replaces."

hi

I believe there will be desktop class ARM processors in the market in a few years.
There are ARM server processors being designed by Amazon, Google and the likes and companies like Ampere.
Now with ARM being part of NVIDIA, we should definitely see some Gaming based chipset based on a capable ARM CPU and Nvidia Graphics.

The new MacOS can hopefully be ported to these desktops...

The alternative is to have a distro of Linux which has as solid and robust as MacOS, which is not impossible if the ARM-Nividia ecosystem evolves well.

I am also predicting RISC-V and AMD coming together some day or RISCV and Imagination... The new battles will have more players than the current 2 (Intel,AMD) so it will be great for the end users in the next 5-10 years.

G

My opinion on this has not changed and that it will be at least 5-7 years before things are totally locked out. They have said that the transition will be 2 years. once should apple with typically support OS releases for 5 years after that. I think at that point it will be a AppleSilicon only world by then.

So the community upcoming need will now be to force MS Windows into Mac hardware.
That makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back