Contribute
Register

Apple Announces "3rd Transition" for macOS: From Intel CPUs to Apple Silicon

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was four years between switch to Intel, and the release of an OS that was not PPC compatible.

I was thinking of buying the Lenovo Y740si when it comes out. I might still. If it can get OS updates for four years, and then keep working with that frozen OS for another couple, that's plenty of life.

We already knew that this day was coming.
Hopefully Apple claimed to keep intel based macOs versions up to date. And they also said that new intel based Macs will be announced, this is pretty good news.
I believe we still have a few years to enjoy our hacks until it really ends.

And who knows, Hackintosh on arm computers could be possible.
Nah man likely to see the T2 system get built directly into the SOC and that will put a steak thru the heart. Also if they make it so that it will only run on. "Apple Silicon" it likely won't run on just any generic ARM CPU. Apple's ARM silicon is very different than many other manufactures. it out performs any other ARM CPU on the market. you are not just gonna be able to get some crapy ARM or Rockhip ARM devout or android dev device and put Mac OS onto it. it just isn't going to happen.

This make a lot of sense for apple from the stand point of notebooks and stuff the big question is PRO users. that market segment that they just managed to get back and sold all of them $20-$30K desktops. I wonder what is going to happened here. obviously they have a plan for it. Apple silicon board with PCI-E slots and **** would be really cool. best only time will tell.

Oooook so let's make a reality check!!!

Apple Silicon and the Hackintosh, how much time we have????

I think a lot... let's count...

So they announced it today, the first machine will be announced at the end of the year and it will come early next year. It it will surely be a laptop.

After that 2021 summer might come the first iMac and Mini or at the end of the year. The MacPro I don't know ... I am not sure that the new A whatever silicon will be as fast as the fastest Xenon... And how abot the video capabilities??? It probably will have an integrated video will that be as fast as a fast AMD or Nvidi GPU (I doubt) it is possible that the MacPro will never have the Apple Silicon chip or just a lot later. Don't forget that Intel and the video card makers also don't stop investing. And Apple has to be at the top. Must be.

Until the LAST Mac will have an Intel CPU they will HAVE TO write the OS to be compatible to Intel silicons as well. I don't think that will come before 2026 -27, after that there will be at least two major OS release which will STILL be support intel chips.

The first OS version that will not support Intel might come around 2029-2030. After that we can still use older mac OS for some years. The current implimentation of the Adobe package will still work on it. So tge first Adobe package that will only be available for the Apple silicon Mac's will come arond 2033 - 2035

So I really think we have at least 13-15 good more years with Hackintosh and that is just enough for me (I will be an old man that time anyway) After that we can buy a Mac (Apple will still not have a computer that fits my needs I am afraid) or we can get familiar with Windows (which will still be very bad that time) or our good Hackers find out something until that time :)

So Chear UP people...and sorry for my bad English... and for the long post :)

I just hope this helps with pricing. If macs will run on ARM processors much like iPhones do, I do hope that macs will now be sold as a lineup similar like iPhones do, typically with an ARM chip ideal for the majority of the public and something more powerful for the pros and enthusiasts, getting rid of the way that Apple sells macs now (still selling dual core macs for a pretty penny and high end macs for the cost of a car).

Hackintoshing was fun while it lasted .... My first hackintosh was in 2008 and went thru a long succession of different versions - laptops, desktops, you name it... Apple sort of killed the laptop hackintoshes by forcing the graphics stuff into AMD GPUs and most laptop manufacturers rely on Nvidia cards, which are definitively better.... Now the party is over .... yeah, I'm going to recycle one desktop and install Big Sur on it, maybe will be able to upgrade a couple more times, and use it for a few more years beyond that so realistically I can use it until 2025, and then goes to the dustbin of history. For all the great people here at Tonymacx86 my heartfelt thanks, and a reminder that all good things have to end ....

Hackintoshing was fun while it lasted .... My first hackintosh was in 2008 and went thru a long succession of different versions - laptops, desktops, you name it... Apple sort of killed the laptop hackintoshes by forcing the graphics stuff into AMD GPUs and most laptop manufacturers rely on Nvidia cards, which are definitively better.... Now the party is over .... yeah, I'm going to recycle one desktop and install Big Sur on it, maybe will be able to upgrade a couple more times, and use it for a few more years beyond that so realistically I can use it until 2025, and then goes to the dustbin of history. For all the great people here at Tonymacx86 my heartfelt thanks, and a reminder that all good things have to end ....
I am sure it will be longer than just 2025...

I'm in my seventies now, so I think looking too far forward for me is a little pointless.
Happy to keep my systems as they are, working perfectly and comfortably.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back