I9 9900k
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
Mac mini, Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
Quote from Endgadget

This means that you'll be able to connect an eGPU to a Mac mini for example, and not lose any graphics performance.
Except that right out the gate using an EGPU cut at least 30% of the power out of the card, and it runs at 4x rather than 16x. For most they would never even know, World of warcraft it is not bad. However, I definitely get higher Frame Rates, and higher settings when plugged into the motherboard. If they were to use two TB3 cables and bridged them to one GPU to get 80Gb that would bring us much closer to 126Gb that flows over 16x PCI-E. However, with PCI-E 4 we are doubling the 126Gb (15.75GB) of bandwidth that the current PCI-E 3rd gen has.

While I am a fan of the Mac Mini with eGPU and it meets much of my needs. The Hack provides a lot of raw power the mac mini just can not provide.

Motherboard
None
CPU
None
Graphics
None
Mac
iMac
Mobile Phone
iOS
I am beginning to think that Hackintoshing may be over much sooner than Apple stops supporting Intel since Big Sur is likely the last macOS to load kexts. The replacement System Extensions may not load the exetensions early enough in the boot process to facilitate hackintoshing, and even if it did, all kexts would need to be rewritten. Who would do that work given the switch to Apple Silicon. OC is in essence a root kit, and Apple is about to do everything on a kernel level to stop root kits.

Motherboard
Z370 AORUS Gaming 3
CPU
i5-9600K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
nice I play wow quite often!! :)
Even I own Hackintosh builds, I still play WoW in Windows as there are much more advantages over it such as enabling Radeon Image Sharpening.

Motherboard
<< need model # >> See Rules !!
CPU
i7 << need model # >> See Rules !!
Graphics
GTX760
HP, Sun, IBM, and DEC went down this road with significant investment in in-house CPU design. One the collective marketplace went with Intel, each slowly got hammered. Each bled cash because they could not compete with Intel's lower manufacturing costs due to higher volume. Sun and DEC are gone. HP is out of the CPU business with a full surrender to Intel. IBM is out of that game as well.

Intel ended up with all of HP and DEC RISC patents, but they never took the RISC and low power CPU marketplace seriously like their CISC x86 - x64 CPUs.

The debate of using in-house CPU designs that compete squarely with Intel's flagship product must have been a long debate in Apple. It's certain they know the lessons learned from HP and the others mentioned above.

I see this Apple announcement as a shot across Intel's bow which will probably cause Intel to bring the big guns to bear in that marketplace. Apple's decision to go this route must mean they believe they can survive and win.

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-H77M-D3H x 2
CPU
i7
Graphics
GTX 970 + HD 570
Mac
iMac, Mac mini
Classic Mac
Centris, Classic, iMac, LC, Performa, Quadra
Mobile Phone
Android
Very true. But none of them had the capital and brainpower that Apple has now. And Apple alrady has great processors in the mobile market. I think it will be a success but I also think it will not go as fast as some might think, so we Hackintoshers ha squite some yeras left in this game :)

MacMan

Administrator
Staff member
Motherboard
ASUS TUF Z390-PRO GAMING - 2606 - UEFI
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
MacBook Pro, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Power Mac, PowerBook
Mobile Phone
iOS
HP, Sun, IBM, and DEC went down this road with significant investment in in-house CPU design. One the collective marketplace went with Intel, each slowly got hammered. Each bled cash because they could not compete with Intel's lower manufacturing costs due to higher volume. Sun and DEC are gone. HP is out of the CPU business with a full surrender to Intel. IBM is out of that game as well.

Intel ended up with all of HP and DEC RISC patents, but they never took the RISC and low power CPU marketplace seriously like their CISC x86 - x64 CPUs.

The debate of using in-house CPU designs that compete squarely with Intel's flagship product must have been a long debate in Apple. It's certain they know the lessons learned from HP and the others mentioned above.

I see this Apple announcement as a shot across Intel's bow which will probably cause Intel to bring the big guns to bear in that marketplace. Apple's decision to go this route must mean they believe they can survive and win.
IBM still develops and sells POWER based systems.

The latest CPU is the POWER9 and Power10 is rumored to be released next year.

pastrychef

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.1GHz
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
MacBook, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
iBook, Power Mac, PowerBook
Mobile Phone
iOS

Apple is not competing with Intel on manufacturing, TSMC is. I don't know if TSMC will bleed cash manufacturing chips for Apple... In 2019, TSMC brought in $1.07T in revenue and Intel brought in $72B...

Btw, TSCM also manufactures for AMD.

trs96

Motherboard
GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK
CPU
i5-4690K
Graphics
HD4600 / RX 570
Mac
iMac, Mac mini
Mobile Phone
Android
Apple wanted Intel to make a low power CPU to use in the iPhone and iPad. Intel couldn't make something that low power that could stay cool enough without fans. Intel missed out on the whole mobile computing revolution. Apple will be fine. They're valued at about 1.5 trillion dollars right now. Intel is valued at 258 billion. It would never be allowed, but they could currently buy Intel out with the cash they have on hand. I don't really see Apple as trying to compete with Intel. They're just trying to do what's best for Apple.