Graphics
EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX 950 SC
Mac
  1. MacBook
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I have an older Macbook circa early 2008 with an Intel core 2 duo running OS10.6.8. I have a hard copy of OS10.6 Snow Leopard as well. I'm building a new Hackintosh presently but was going to use my old Macbook to create the Clover bootloader for the new computer. When I go to the app store using my old Macbook to download "El Capitan" I get a message that says, "OS10 El Capitan can't bet installed on this computer." Do I now have to install OS10.6 Snow Leopard on my new Hackintosh first then download El Capitan to it to create the bootloader or is there some other way to do this and get my Hackintosh working? I'm new to this and have already run into a wall before I've even started.

Bump. I'm in the same boat. The answer isn't in the FAQ section that I can find. I've spent an hour on google and cant find anything definitive. A little hint, please?

Do I have to make an intermediary upgrade to Yosemite first? Do I have to change my apple system definition to be one of the more recent macs in order for the app store to allow me to download the software on my working hackintosh? My only working OSX box is a hackintosh I built back in 2012 that is running Snow Leapord. I literally have no other macs that I can use...

Bump. I'm in the same boat. The answer isn't in the FAQ section that I can find. I've spent an hour on google and cant find anything definitive. A little hint, please?

Do I have to make an intermediary upgrade to Yosemite first? Do I have to change my apple system definition to be one of the more recent macs in order for the app store to allow me to download the software on my working hackintosh? My only working OSX box is a hackintosh I built back in 2012 that is running Snow Leapord. I literally have no other macs that I can use...

What is your system definition now?

What is your system definition now?

It is MacPro 3,1:

Code:
Model Name:    Mac Pro
  Model Identifier:    MacPro3,1
  Processor Name:    Intel Core i5
  Processor Speed:    2.80 GHz
  Number Of Processors:    1
  Total Number Of Cores:    4
  L2 Cache (per core):    256 KB
  L3 Cache:    8 MB
  Memory:    8 GB
  Processor Interconnect Speed:    4.8 GT/s
  Boot ROM Version:    MultiBeast.tonymacx86.com
  SMC Version (system):    1.25f4

Current Hackintosh Hardware (to the best of my knowledge):
Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3 LGA 1156 Intel P55 Stat motherboard
Intel Core i5-760 Lynnfield Quad-core 2.8 Ghz
GeForce GTS 450 (fermi) video card

Note: I'm building a new customac pro based upon the October 2015 builds here. I am only using the existing hackintosh to download the El Capitan software and create the bootable USB. Everything from that point forward will be on modern (recommended) hardware.

Thanks in advance! I am really looking forward to digging into this build this weekend!

Gloob

I have an older Macbook circa early 2008 with an Intel core 2 duo running OS10.6.8. I have a hard copy of OS10.6 Snow Leopard as well. I'm building a new Hackintosh presently but was going to use my old Macbook to create the Clover bootloader for the new computer. When I go to the app store using my old Macbook to download "El Capitan" I get a message that says, "OS10 El Capitan can't bet installed on this computer." Do I now have to install OS10.6 Snow Leopard on my new Hackintosh first then download El Capitan to it to create the bootloader or is there some other way to do this and get my Hackintosh working? I'm new to this and have already run into a wall before I've even started.

Please read the Rules :
Do not cross post or create identical threads in multiple forums.
Duplicate threads will be deleted

I have a hard copy of OS10.6 Snow Leopard
What colour is the disc ?
The grey system restore discs will not work with a hackintosh.

If you have no other way to download El Capitan from the App Store then the Snow Leopard way is the path to follow.

Sorry about the cross post, I wasn't aware. I purchased the 10.6.8 a long time ago so it is not the system restore disk.

Please read the Rules :

What colour is the disc ?
The grey system restore discs will not work with a hackintosh.

If you have no other way to download El Capitan from the App Store then the Snow Leopard way is the path to follow.

While you weren't replying to me directly, thank you for pointing me in the right direction. I don't want to futz with my only working hackintosh (runs my band's recording studio), so I guess my only option is to start from scratch on my newly constructed box.

Here's my plan (as I now understand it). If anyone spots a problem with this approach, let me know:
  • Install Snow Leopard from 10.6.3 retail disk using iBoot-Haswell
  • Upgrade to 10.6.8 using multibeast Snow Leopard 3.10.11
  • From there hopefully App Store will let me download El Capitan?
    • Create El Capitan Boot USB
    • Verify I can boot off of the El Capitan USB
  • Start all over again with a fresh install of El Capitan following instructions in the install guide

Thoughts?
Gloob

ETA: I found an old hard drive for one of my laptops where I had successfully upgraded it to Lion. I swapped it into the lappy, booted to Lion and am now able to download from the App Store. Hopefully I'm on my way now...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back