CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey folks, I've been trying to get my Hackintosh up and running, and for the most part it's gone pretty well. Had someone help me out with some of the fine tuning that I was unsure of after getting into High Sierra first time around; and now all works fine - apart from my Universal Audio Apollo Twin.

I'll preface this by saying at this point I feel like maybe I'm just completely out of my depth; building computers is easy peasy but this Hackintosh stuff has begun to turn into something of a complete nightmare for me. That being said; it's been an interesting learning process.

I found that the USB-C port on mobo is not actually TB compatible. Had to buy an Alpine Ridge PCIe Card; which unfortunately cost me my Windows partition as I (now feeling rather stupid) purchased a Crucial MX500 M2 Drive for running Windows which was deactivating the PCIe Slot for the TB Card.

Specs:
Gigabyte Z370 Aorus WIFI (Rev. 1.0)
Intel i7-8700K CPU
Ballistix Sport 16GB Kit (2x 8GB)
Sapphire Pulse RX580 8GB
Samsung 970 EVO 500GB NVMe (MacOS High Sierra)
Crucial MC500 2.5" SSD 500GB (Sample Drive)
Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" HDD (General Storage)
Fenvi T919 Wifi PCIe Card
Gigabyte Alpine Ridge (Rev. 2.0) Thunderbolt PCIe Card

I've been working on this for the past 2 days; and I've read various forum posts here and even asked for help over at the UAD Facebook Group (who pointed me here again, lol) and the Hackintosh Facebook Group where I found my new pal who sat and helped me out over Teamviewer.

I updated BIOS to F11 as according to the Alpine Ridge Spec Page, my mobo can't run the THB_C Header on anything lower than F11, that was all fine. Couldn't get the Thunderbolt Card to show in BIOS - so removed the Crucial MX500 M2 SSD, which after shutdown and boot allowed for the Thunderbolt Card to appear in BIOS - great, right? Wrong.

Spent another 3-4 hours with my pal from the Hack FB Group trying to figure things out. Ultimately ended up at the stage where I've had to disconnect the TBH_C Header from the Mobo to actually boot into High Sierra now, where at one point last night all was fine.

The major issue I was having was when the Apollo Twin is connected to the TB3 Port (via Apple TB3 to TB2 Converter) I was getting the Prohibitory Symbol. But I was getting this Prohibitory symbol even when the adaptor was connected with no cable from the Apollo connected to the adapter. Now, after reconnecting the THB_C Header to the mobo, and completing a BIOS Reset, the TB PCIe Card no longer appears in BIOS again.

I've kept a list of all the options to change on BIOS to ensure that I will boot into High Sierra, and as I say, everything else is working absolutely fine, speeds are great, graphic output is flawless, no hiccups, no stutters, no errors, all Apple Services are working fine...

But I'm starting to lose hope here; the Apollo is critical to my workflow as I use it for recording guitar/vocals & for my wife who's got a pretty hungry audience ... as well as fine-tuning on Mastering Stage of jobs. At the moment we can get by, plugging the Apollo into our MBPs to do recording and moving files over to the Hack for Mixing in general without the UAD stuff, that's all fine.

I would however love to get my Apollo running on my Hack. I've seen many success stories... but somehow, I can't emulate that success.

Can anyone help?

After reading that many were Booting into Windows to enable Drivers for Alpine Ridge Cards, and also for the sake of testing the computer to make sure there was no fault with the TB PCIe Card, the TB3->TB2 Convertors I reconfigured one of my Drives to have Windows.

I tested the Apollo hardware, all responsive and working fine on Windows. Tried a Soft Reboot back into MacOS, but get hung on Prohibitory Symbol. Booting again, trying Verbose to print a log but unfortunately for me, I don't really know what any of it means - so I've attached.

Attachments

• IMG_6910.JPG
    IMG_6910.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 97
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back