Contribute
Register

APFS Not Fast

Status
Not open for further replies.
it is just as quick if not 'faster' than hfs, at least w/my config...

What does that mean for Hackintosh users with their own Samsung/Intel/etc SSDs?
Will apfs be good for nothing since it does not implement checksum on non Apple SSDs due to missing Apple firmware on other SSDs?

What that does means is that APFS simply does not implement checksum of data, with or without apple's firmware. Data integrity is provided by Apple's own ECC firmware.

Your own Samsung/Intel/whatever SSDs will provide its own ECC firmware for data integrity. All you have to do is to bring a good quality and reliable storage device to protect your data.

What does that mean for Hackintosh users with their own Samsung/Intel/etc SSDs?
Will apfs be good for nothing since it does not implement checksum on non Apple SSDs due to missing Apple firmware on other SSDs?
They are saying the the custom TSMC/Apple controllers ECC mean a low enough error rate in testing that statistically, a drive will die before it returns an error. A lot of SSDs/controllers claim end to end data integrity protection. More redundancy is more flash memory for a given capacity and a higher cost per GB. More error checking means a more powerful controller at a price premium. Take a look at some well known controller data sheets.

Last edited:
I install with USB
It installed very slowly.
So I installed it without USB.
It installs much faster.
I tested with GF210 1G graphics card, GT730 2G, ATI HD 6450 1G, ATI HD 6670 2G and successfully modified Clover boot.
But the GT630 2G has encountered a problem with the black screen and Show cursor, but can use the power button. Shutdown
I think waiting for the webdriver for HighSierra

Since I'm not that deep into the hardware side of things, given that I have a Crucial CT1050MX300SSD1, which uses Micron's NAND technology, does that fall into the umbrella of safety that Apple expects in its APFS implementation?

Since I'm not that deep into the hardware side of things, given that I have a Crucial CT1050MX300SSD1, which uses Micron's NAND technology, does that fall into the umbrella of safety that Apple expects in its APFS implementation?

It has Error Correction Code (ECC) just in case you are wondering, in fact there's a new firmware that improves drive error handling, reliability and stability. You should install it.

It has Error Correction Code (ECC) just in case you are wondering, in fact there's a new firmware that improves drive error handling, reliability and stability. You should install it.
Thanks for that - will do! :)

Out of curiosity I made a little benchmarking to compare performance between APFS, HFS+ and OpenZFS on a WD Blue 5400rpm 2.5" spinning plate hard drive

HFS+:

Screen Shot 2017-07-06 at 2.17.37 PM.png

APFS:

Screen Shot 2017-07-06 at 2.23.05 PM.png

OpenZFS:

Screen Shot 2017-07-06 at 3.51.51 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-07-06 at 3.57.47 PM.png

APFS is fair game and quite similar to HFS+, actually good in comparison but some optimization might be needed. OpenZFS for the win, I was just fooling around with ZFS but I think I am going to keep it. Data compression with LZ4, actual error checking (for correction and healing I would need RAID I think), but quite aggressive memory caching which would explain those SSD-like results for a humble mechanical drive like mine with OpenZFS. Memory pressure increases noticeably with this file system, but I think that 16GM of RAM can handle it easily . This ZFS FS also detects memory pressure and will release memory back to the OS for other tasks accordingly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back