Intel i7 8550U
Graphics
Intel UHD 620
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
When using APFS.efi with Clover some early logging generated by APFS.efi will show during the boot sequence.

Due to copyright reasons and potential forum rules breach, this only contains patching instructions for your local APFS.efi.

APFS.efi was updated in the High Sierra 10.13.1 update.
MD5 checksum of the 10.13.1 /usr/standalone/i386/APFS.efi is: c4f1aed703d099c4cd84b25cc9ff7b18

In order to quiet the APFS.efi logging, patch the following in Hex Fiend:

Offset 0x2227e -> 0x55 to 0xC3

MD5 checksum after patching APFS.efi is: bbdfcc6e4998401aa942b93992a7282e

Place the modified APFS.efi in your /CLOVER/drivers64UEFI folder

I tried but I'm scared that I do it wrong. Do you mean jump to offset 0x2227e and than find 0x55 and replace 0xC3 and save and quit?

Worked great. I hadn't used Hex Fiend in quite some time, so after installing it, I had to set the 'View' -> 'Byte Grouping' to 'Single' so I could more easily see the '55'. Thanks!

Thank you for helping me. I've got it done with Single Byte Grouping.

P.S: On my system boot takes a few seconds longer than with the previous version apfs.efi. The unsuppressed message while booting is something with jumpstart required driver is not on that partition.
nx_dev_init:705: Warning: superblock indicates jumpstart record but this driver was not loaded from that partition
Do you have the same issue?
With the old version my system boots faster. So I will use that version for now.

Last edited:
Hi thanks for the patch!!! I was trying with Hex Fiend , but gets bad checksum file.

with 0xED editor app is easy to find the 0x2227F offset

Okay, stupid n00b question:

I did NOT convert my drive to APFS when I installed High Sierra. So I have NO apfs.efi in the /CLOVER/drivers64UEFI folder.

Do I need to do anything with this apfs.efi before updating to 10.13.2?

Okay, stupid n00b question:

I did NOT convert my drive to APFS when I installed High Sierra. So I have NO apfs.efi in the /CLOVER/drivers64UEFI folder.

Do I need to do anything with this apfs.efi before updating to 10.13.2?

No.

Any solution for 10.13.2?
Yes, copy and then patch the apfs.efi file to your EFI partition with the code below:

Code:
cp /usr/standalone/i386/apfs.efi /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI

perl -i -pe 's|\x00\x74\x07\xb8\xff\xff|\x00\x90\x90\xb8\xff\xff|sg' /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI/apfs.efi

You could use it in a script as it seems it should work with future apfs versions.

EDIT:

I've attached a script below that can be run after an update. It will mount the EFI partition at disk0s1 if necessary then copy and patch the local apfs.efi file to drivers64UEFI if it's timestamp is more recent. It will indicate success or otherwise then unmount the EFI partition. It's quick and easy to do this if you also need to open the Terminal and rebuild your kext cache after an update.

Attachments

• update.zip
    408 bytes · Views: 1,174
Last edited:
Yes, copy and then patch the apfs.efi file to your EFI partition with the code below:

Code:
cp /usr/standalone/i386/apfs.efi /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI

perl -i -pe 's|\x00\x74\x07\xb8\xff\xff|\x00\x90\x90\xb8\xff\xff|sg' /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI/apfs.efi

You could use it in a script as it seems it should work with future apfs versions.
Is this a Terminal input?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back