Contribute
Register

Aperture

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also made my hackintosh primarily for using Aperture. I have a 2008 macbook pro which has always struggled with Aperture, taking seconds to apply changes through the adjustments panel after each slider move. My hackintosh has real time changes to the images which is a massive improvement. The key is probably the card... I installed a Sapphire 5770. The install went smoothly following instructions on this forum. I haven't bothered with the 64bit kernel yet, but that will probably come later. My system for those interested is fairly standard

GA-P55M-UD2
core i5-760
sapphire ati 5770
corsair 4gb ram dominator 1600 : i'd probably get normal ram as the fins interfere with coolers on this board.
random drives left over from old computers/laptops

Hi Ajaxhard,
I want to build an hackintosh like your.
I dont know if you have dualboot with win7.
I just want to know if programs like Aperture or Photoshop work better on OSX or WIN7 at same hardware.
Thx in advance to anyone how could replay to my question.

beers.01 said:
Hi Ajaxhard,
I just want to know if programs like Aperture or Photoshop work better on OSX or WIN7 at same hardware.

Aperture only runs on Mac OS X.

StarCraft II is better under Windows.

Sorry, don't know about PhotoShop.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-04-03 at 6.59.08 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-04-03 at 6.59.08 PM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 280

- I don't dual boot from the same drive. I have a seperate hard drive for each OS. Also a seperate drive for media and a fourth drive for backups.

- I don't have photoshop as it almost costs more than my computer. I'd say these days there isn't a great deal of difference between windows 7 and osx especially with the speed of the hardware. It depends on what programs you want to use and what is available for each system.

beers.01 said:
Hi Ajaxhard,

I've had limited experience with Aperture (I've liked what little I've seen) but have mainly only used Photoshop. 10.6.5 and Win7 on a system this fast it's barely noticeable any difference in speed. Granted I havd CS4 on Win and now use CS5 on Mac and love the Mac workflow so much better so I might be a little biased because that's all I use anymore.

My first apple product was Ipad (1) last year with 64GB. I transferred ~300 Nikon RAW photos onto it, and I was amazed by how fast it browsed, zoom, view these photos. I was impressed.

My fastest computer at Home was Dell Vostro 220 which I used Nikon View NX. Upgraded to 4GB and bought another SATA drive for OSX. OSX installation was not easy. ~3 1/2 weeks of days and night to get it working. Once up, i tried the VIEW NX 2. Seemed faster to run on OSX than WIn7. THen I tried Aperture 3 and started working with RAWs and it was FAST, much FASTERRRR than Nikon View NX2 / Capture NX2 for how I use (adjust and crop, and move onto next couple of hundred photos). I wiped out the WIN7 2 weeks later. Don't play starcraft anymore. Finished school couple of years ago, and didn't seemed to need MS Office anymore. Just my Nikon D80 and Aperture 3.

Completed my GA i5 setup a couple of weeks ago with WIN7. Transferred my Aperture 3 library onto new setup, and entire RAW photo library since 2004 is up and running without issue.Cheapo 8400 GS graphics card works good enough for Aperture 3.

I kinda wish FUNSHION player is available for Snow Leopard. That was my only reason to load WIN7 on my new i5.

I decided not to install a bunch of stuffs that I will never use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back