Contribute
Register

Apart from no overclocking, is there any disadvantage/problems with using a H370 motherboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking to buy the ASRock H370 Fatal1ty Performance to use with an i7-8700 with onboard graphics. It's my first time building a Hackintosh, and so ease of installation is important to me. But this particular motherboard has all the features I need + I've found a deal with it for $85 off the usual price and budget is tight. Is there any reason that these boards are less popular? There's not many guides with them on the Internet. Do they provide any problems? Some people have told me that they don't have NVRAM but other people have told me they're absolutely fine. I'm conflicted, need some more input. Please share any successes or information or guides you have with them. Thanks!

Read through the golden builds. Make sure you choose one that works with MultiBeast (avoid X99, X299 boards). Like @djashjones said, get exactly the same parts as the Golden Build you like best. I would not worry about getting a Z370 motherboard unless you plan to overclock (now or in the future). Onboard graphics can be hit and miss. NVRAM can always be supported through Clover if the UEFI of your motherboard gives you trouble. The best cheap video cards are RX560s, RX570s, Used FirePro W7000, RadeonPro WX4100

Just one person's input, but I've had great success with GA-H370M D3H motherboard. Knowing that user experience is tied to all of the components chosen, the components I chose allowed me to, what I would say, implement fairly easily. There was a comment about hackintosh and learning and I definitely worked a number of new techniques and i'm quite pleased with the result. These new techniques were completely new, I might add. It took time and a bit of trial and error, but the experienced users and moderators helped me quickly get to the answer, if I was willing to put in the time. So in short, H370 has been good to me. I implemented most of the standard fixes, per the guidelines.

If the BG only contained hardware that requires no effort or research to get working it would be completely empty. What fun would it be if you simply installed macOS and everything worked perfectly on the first boot ?

I guess if that is what you live for... sadist much? Maybe if some one issued you a challenge that you could not do it or your board broke and it was the last board you could find to replace your smoked one.

Too late, the H370 i was going to buy has been discontinued in Australia.

That's the 2nd time that's happened with a motherboard i've put days into researching, haha. Maybe i'm being too careful. I guess that's where PC building experience comes in, instantly knowing when to pounce and when to wait

I guess if that is what you live for... sadist much?

I'm not saying that we put the H370 motherboards in the guide to cause agony and suffering for those who buy one. They are there because they have worked for a moderator or admin that has tested one. This is why we say that you need to read the forums and research before buying to be prepared for hackintoshing any specific hardware. Because everyone has a different level of skill and experience, an H370 motherboard is a perfect choice for some but not for others. If we remove it we limit choices and those that can benefit from what it offers and they miss out on that. Maybe would could rate each motherboard with a degree of difficulty. IDK if that would help people to decide what to buy or not. Ultimately it is up to the buyer to determine what is right for them.

All of this (hackintoshing) has gotten much more complicated since I started 7 years ago. There were extremely limited hardware choices then and many fewer steps required to a fully working hack. The learning curve wasn't as steep. I think that the reason Apple is not worried about this trend of people installing macOS on PC hardware is that the great majority of macOS users will never invest so much of their time and energy to complete a hackintosh and maintain it. They'll just buy a Mac, plug it in and start enjoying it immediately. That's what about 95% or more of macOS users do. In the big picture, hackintoshing actually keeps more people in the Apple ecosystem, sells more Mac software (in the future, more iOS apps) and more people end up buying real Macs after they have tried using macOS in this way.

Primary Point: Anyone who wants a hackintosh should only choose this if they enjoy the challenge of figuring out how to make macOS work on their PC. It's a completely different experience than buying a beautifully designed and packaged 5K iMac, plugging it in and setting up a new account. No worries, no effort, just a lot less $ in your checking account.

To conclude this long tome, the only thing I don't like about hackintoshing is the feeling that a build is never completely finished due to changes in macOS versions, such as what happened in 10.11+ with the USB stack. There is always constant change and new things to learn unless you are willing to stay with an older version of macOS that you have completely figured everything out.

Last edited:
Maybe would could rate each motherboard with a degree of difficulty. IDK if that would help people to decide what to buy or not. Ultimately it is up to the buyer to determine what is right for them.

What I have learned in the 1yr on this site is that the user levels very and the ambition of some far exceeds the ambition of others. So for one person the ability to save a few dollar for a bigger challenge is awesome but for others it might be the worst choice they have ever made. For someone with little tech experience and little time the Z370>H370. However, @osufella now has working hack on a H370 board it might be easier for others now.

I too having a working system now (my config) and I think its finished :p

From what I've read you need to change the wifi/BT card on all wifi/BT enabled MB's anyway with the ones listed here anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back