CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 6900 XT
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
When booting to macOS from Windows, I have no sound.
How can I wake up the audio chip?
I have the AORUS Z390 MASTER with the ALC 1220 VB and an ESS SABRE 9118.

Do the Audio codec and DAC work normally when you shutdown and restart the system, from a 'Cold Start' instead of rebooting from Windows?

It is well known that some Windows behaviours/firmware/drivers for Bluetooth, Thunderbolt and other devices can be carried over from Windows to macOS. Maybe this is a case of the Audio or DAC driver not being dropped completely when you switch OS's.

@tom111 Uninstall your Windows Realtek HD audio driver and your problems would be over. You would then have to rely on the built in Windows audio subsystem for sound output.
Alternatively whittle down the latest available full version 2.7.2 CodecCommander.kext for your mobo, and you can leave the Realtek HD driver in place. A CodecCommander.kext, that I have modified and stripped down to do the trick for my Haswell build has been attached. Compare it's contents with that of a full version kext and modify it to your mobo's requirements.
Last option is to always cold boot from Windows back to macOS, but that is, in my opinion, not an elegant solution.

Greetings Henties

Attachments

• CodecCommander.kext.zip
    37 KB · Views: 61
How do I modify that Kext for the AORUS Z390 Master?

I guess I will have to remove the Realtek driver.

AppleALC not working from Windows reboot​

If you find that rebooting from Windows into macOS breaks audio, we recommend either adding alctsel=1 to boot-args or add this property to your audio device in DeviceProperties:

DeviceProperties
| --- > Add
| --- > PciRoot(0x32)/Pci(0x0,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)(Adjust to your device)
| ----> alctsel | Data | 01000000

hm, still no sound

Same here alctsel=1 didn't fix the issue for me eather.

Will Windows still have sound, when I remove the Realtek-Driver?

Which Realtek driver? AppleALC.kext or a driver used in Windows.

Windows will probably work with the generic Microsoft audio driver.

MacOS will not have Audio (built-in) from the Realtek device if you remove AppleALC.kext.

Removing a driver from macOS will not affect Audio in Windows, and visa versa.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back