Contribute
Register

Anything special required to update X58A-UD3R rev 2 to 10.8.2 from 10.6.8?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition
CPU
Intel i7-4930k
Graphics
EVGA Dual Overclocked GTX770 4GB
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Pro
  4. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Are there any special steps that I need to adhere to for a clean upgrade from Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion? On a Gigabyte X58A-UD3R rev 2.0?

Thanks!

Is it possible to update to a new version of OS X while still retaining hard drive data?

Can anyone just simply answer if a format is needed to go between 10.X.0 versions?

Can anyone just simply answer if a format is needed to go between 10.X.0 versions?

In theory it is possible, but tricky. If it was an Apple machine it would probably work fine, so it should work fine on a hack as well. But the various kexts that we use on hacks are under constant change. For example, Multibeast used to include slice's FakeSMC, but now uses kozlek's FakeSMC. Although slice's FakeSMC could have been installed as FakeSMC+PlugIns, it usually wasn't, with the PlugIns spread all over /S/L/E in a very messy way (kozlek FakeSMC PlugIns are all in the FakeSMC.kext/Contents/PlugIns directory). This leads to problems because after an upgrade (which would certainly require FakeSMC to be updated), you now have components from both branches of FakeSMC installed.

In addition, there may be kexts you installed or other things you did for your SL install that won't go well with ML or that need different solutions. Only if you know exactly what you did originally, what is no longer applicable, and how to fix the 'mess', you're likely to run into issues.

I just don't like upgrades between major revs of any OS... but hackintosh is extra tricky. Unless you're an expert...

Thanks for the info! I'll probably just manually port everything, probably a good idea to start from scratch anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back