Contribute
Register

Anything I should know before upgrading to a 1070 while running Mavericks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z87X-D3H
CPU
I5-4670K
Graphics
GTX 770
GPU:Two gtx 770s
CPU: Intel 4670k
Dual booting: Mavericks 10.9.2 and windows 8.1

I had 770s that serve me well in windows and I had fun with them (I never had a problem with them in Mavericks either). But I am upgrading a 1070 since they can't keep up with my 144hz monitor. I know Mavericks is not compatible with the 1000 GTX series and I will no be upgrading to the latest software to make it work (because I don't really use my graphics card in there). But I would just like to enter Mavericks because my family uses the OSX partition. Is there anything I need to know and do before making the upgrade and have everything work for OSX?

Last edited:
GPU:Two gtx 770s
CPU: Intel 4670k
Dual booting: Mavericks 10.9.2 and windows 8.1

I had 770s that serve me well in windows and I had fun them (I never had a problem with them in Mavericks either). But I am upgrading a 1070 since they can't keep up with my 144hz monitor. I know Mavericks is not compatible with the 1000 GTX series and I will no be upgrading to the latest software to make it work (because I don't really use my graphics card in there). But I would just like to enter Mavericks because my family uses the OSX partition. Is there anything I need to know and do before making the upgrade and have everything work for OSX?
High Sierra has the web drivers Mojave does not have them yet. Sierra has the best web drivers as far as stability goes. The High Sierra web drivers have a few complaints like lagginess etc...
Sierra seems to be the best fit so far for the web drivers.

If you don't intend to upgrade your 10.9 partition to anything later and you don't intend to use it very often, then you might want to consider plugging your monitor into the motherboard graphics port when you're booting into OSX so you at least get the Intel integrated graphics.

Using OSX/macOS with no graphics acceleration at all is really not practical; you may see drawing errors, flickering, extremely sluggish performance, etc.

Alternately, consider buying a dirt-cheap fanless GPU to use when booted into 10.9.

Alternately, consider buying a dirt-cheap fanless GPU to use when booted into 10.9.

Thanks I really appreciate your comment.
Is is possible to just keep one 770 on the second slot and the new GPU on the new first slot. Obviously not for SLI purposes but just for booting back into 10.9 ?

I couldn't say, I've never tried anything like that. If it were to work you'd probably be stuck with a black screen on boot until the nvidia drivers loaded (early boot would always try to talk to the slot 1 GPU)

It looks like your board has a slot that will accept a pciex16 card and run it at x4 speed without impacting the pciex16 card in the main slot, so it could be worth a try!

Thanks I really appreciate your comment.

Is it possible to just keep one 770 on the second slot and the new GPU on the new first slot. Obviously not for SLI purposes but just for booting back into 10.9 ?

If you want to try, I suggest you put the 770 into the PCIe x8 slot and the 1070 into the PCIe x16 slot. Both cards will then have x8 bandwidth and should work fine. There is no way to know if this will allow you to boot into Mavericks and I would want to hear from you if this can succeed.

The leftmost x4 slot is not connected to the CPU and will severely cripple a graphics card's performance.

Perhaps you might consider building another computer to run Windows yourself and leave the old computer alone if you do not want to mess with Mavericks? You will have to face this problem anyway if the 770 / 1070 combination does not allow you to boot into Mavericks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back