Contribute
Register

Anyone with GA-X58A-UD3R running Mavericks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-X58A-UD3R 2.0
CPU
i7-970
Graphics
GTX 770
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi,

have been running Hackintosh on the same system for a while now, Multibeast with Snow Leopard, Lion and Mountain Lion, very solid, with rare hiccups. Tried to migrate to Mavericks, no luck. From 10.9.0 to 10.9.3, always the same story.

Installation goes fine, but system freezes right after boot, usually, sometimes runs for 5-10 minutes, then freezes again. Maximum I got was about 30 min, one time.

Tried with Clover, does not boot, getting boot error /6.

Anyone out there with the same board has better luck?

Don't want to upgrade board/cpu, unless one of them fries.

Regards,
Joao

Hi,

have been running Hackintosh on the same system for a while now, Multibeast with Snow Leopard, Lion and Mountain Lion, very solid, with rare hiccups. Tried to migrate to Mavericks, no luck. From 10.9.0 to 10.9.3, always the same story.

Installation goes fine, but system freezes right after boot, usually, sometimes runs for 5-10 minutes, then freezes again. Maximum I got was about 30 min, one time.

Tried with Clover, does not boot, getting boot error /6.

Anyone out there with the same board has better luck?

Don't want to upgrade board/cpu, unless one of them fries.

Regards,
Joao
I am running Mavricks 10.9.3 on the GA-X58A-UD7 - big brother to the -UD3R - with no problems.
I am using same HD5770 gfx card, only mine is Sapphire VaporX instead of XFX.
I can remember there being problems with the XFX brand 5770 in Lion and Mt. Lion early on this might be the problem.

In clock settings I like to set it to flash the : separator so I can tell a legitimate freeze from an app tying up all resources.

What settings in BIOS are you using? Did you create a new UniBeast 10.9.3 USB and install, then run latest MultiBeast?

EDIT: BTW, I have also been successful in running this build booting with Clover.

I am running Mavricks 10.9.3 on the GA-X58A-UD7 - big brother to the -UD3R - with no problems.
I am using same HD5770 gfx card, only mine is Sapphire VaporX instead of XFX.
I can remember there being problems with the XFX brand 5770 in Lion and Mt. Lion early on this might be the problem.

In clock settings I like to set it to flash the : separator so I can tell a legitimate freeze from an app tying up all resources.

What settings in BIOS are you using? Did you create a new UniBeast 10.9.3 USB and install, then run latest MultiBeast?

EDIT: BTW, I have also been successful in running this build booting with Clover.

Hi,

thank you for your reply, gives me some hope.

To answer your questions, I'm still running ML as my main system, use different internal HD's for experiments with new systems. Did all by the letter, following the guides. Tried installing over existing ML system (from separate backup), fresh installs both when Mavericks came out and now with 10.9.3 (from unibeast 10.9.3) running latest multi beast. BIOS settings are also according to the guides from this site, without any manual fiddling of any settings.

Don't really know what else to try. Read in some post that someone was booting with clover from a similar MB as yours, so tried my luck with mine, but no luck. After making the install usb stick, the boot does not go ahead, gives me error with /6. Could not find out what this /6 means. Perhaps has to do with with BIOS settings, but as far as I can tell, my settings are correct.

Anyway, don't want to mess around too much, otherwise I end up with nothing running. So far, my system has been great, with all the different OS versions, except now Mavericks.

Had another go, after finding "Not Shy's Guide to Bios setting" and attached file "Gigabyte Bios Template.rtf". My previous BIOS setting has been working great, through all the OS upgrades over the last 3 years, but not for Mavericks.

It turns out that after disabling X.M.P, my RAM no longer runs at its original 1600 Mhz frequency, but is now down to 1079 Mhz.

But that's ok. My system running Mavericks has been stable for the last 10 hrs, with Handbrake conversion, iTunes and VLC running in parallel, no hiccups whatsoever.

For my understanding, running RAM at lower frequency has no impact on system's overall performance, and in my case, the solution to run Mavericks on my system. It appears that with Mavericks, there are some issues related to MB BIOS/RAM settings.

I've seen some posts mentioning issues with RAM brands, but it seems that running RAM at lower frequency might be the solution, not only for me but for anyone with hanging/stability issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back