Register

anyone with a msi cyclone radeon 6850?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will throw out there what I have tested so far with the Asus EAH6850:

1) Single DVI: out works great
2) DVI->HDMI: out works great
3) DVI and HDMI: Both are now working after I run MB and added in options for:
64-bit Apple Boot Screen (not sure that matters but was added)
64-bit GraphicEnabler=Yes (I think) it shows no when I re-run MB and of course did not get a screenshot (need to figure out how to determine what I have loaded or are loading)
4) DVI and DVI: Again both are working now
5) DVI and Display: Not tested waiting for 27" Apple Cinema screen (next month purchase).

Hope that somewhat helps I know it is a different video card company but guessing very similar under the covers.

sneighbors said:

64-bit GraphicEnabler=Yes (I think) it shows no when I re-run MB and of course did not get a screenshot (need to figure out how to determine what I have loaded or are loading)
5) DVI and Display: Not tested waiting for 27" Apple Cinema screen (next month purchase).

Hope that somewhat helps I know it is a different video card company but guessing very similar under the covers.

Cool, thanks for sharing that. Did you get DVI+DVI working with GraphicsEnabler=Yes ? And could you post your boot.plist contents so we could use it as a reference?

andreibosco said:
Well, I've got some news: managed to do some tests with a displayport cable and a dvi/hdmi cable. I used two dell 32" monitors (they have vga, dvi and displayport connectors) and here are the results:
- dvi + hdmi: worked perfectly, full 1080p on both monitors with GraphicsEnabler=Yes. Didn't notice any issue at all.
- dvi + displayport: it works with GraphicsEnabler=Yes, BUT only if I connected the displayport cable after logging in. If the cable is connected before logging in the monitor connected on displayport displayed a warning about having no connection and went into sleep. Unplugging it, logging in and plugging it back made it work, but it is quite annoying. I tried setting PciRootUID=1 and 0, and AtiConfig=Duckweed but nothing helped. Perhaps my friend got a bad cable, but I will only know when my adapter arrives.

We didn't have 3 monitors to test but when we connected the 3 cables (dvi, hdmi and displayport) it behaved as if there were 3 monitors connected (I got to the login screen and the two monitors were displaying a gray background, meaning the login window was supposed to be shown on the third monitor). So I think that it is very likely that it will work with 3 monitors, just have to solve the displayport issue (I really hope it is just a bad cable).

Ok, some bad news. DVI + HDMI only works with GraphicsEnabler=No. Sorry, apparently we changed it while testing yesterday and forgot to double check if it was on... Still trying to get it to work with GraphicsEnabler=Yes.

andreibosco said:
sneighbors said:

Cool, thanks for sharing that. Did you get DVI+DVI working with GraphicsEnabler=Yes ? And could you post your boot.plist contents so we could use it as a reference?

If I'm looking at the right file (Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist) then here is what I found in there:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>npci=0x2000 darkwake=0 PCIRootUID=1</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>No</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>2</string>
<key>Legacy Logo</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>
</dict>
</plist>

Looks like I have the GraphicsEnabler set to NO as well. If you can verify this is the correct file I will enable it by hand and reboot to see what happens.

Yeah that's the right file and your GraphicsEnabler is set to No. The problem with it being set to No is that some apps will crash, like DVD Player and some 3d apps. If you set it to Yes you will probably lose the secondary monitor when it gets to the login screen. An easy way to test it without editing the boot.plist file is just setting it manually on the Chameleon boot screen. Select your OSX partition and write:
Code:
-v GraphicsEnabler=Yes

I tried that and it stopped working so the GraphicsEnabler=Yes is not working; however, with that said I ran WOW on it with GraphicsEnabler=NO and for the first time every I was getting 60fps on full graphics - Amazing..

And this was with a 27" monitor rotated 270 degrees (due to the display I'm playing with is setup for my video pinball machine) connected using HDMI :)

sneighbors said:
I tried that and it stopped working so the GraphicsEnabler=Yes is not working; however, with that said I ran WOW on it with GraphicsEnabler=NO and for the first time every I was getting 60fps on full graphics - Amazing..

And this was with a 27" monitor rotated 270 degrees (due to the display I'm playing with is setup for my video pinball machine) connected using HDMI :)
Cool. Some games like WoW and Starcraft 2 run fine, but try running DVD Player or any Valve game (like Team Fortress 2). Running with GraphicsEnabler=No isn't a showstopper, but for some people it will be very frustrating because of that. Well, looks like GraphicsEnabler=Yes is off the table for now. Thanks for the help. Now I'll have to wait for the rest of the adapters to arrive so that I can test a triple monitor setup.

Cool. Some games like WoW and Starcraft 2 run fine, but try running DVD Player or any Valve game (like Team Fortress 2). Running with GraphicsEnabler=No isn't a showstopper, but for some people it will be very frustrating because of that. Well, looks like GraphicsEnabler=Yes is off the table for now. Thanks for the help. Now I'll have to wait for the rest of the adapters to arrive so that I can test a triple monitor setup.

I tried playing a DVD in the internal BluRay player and yes it just bugged out. I have not tried with other software like VLC to see if it maybe able to play.
I have never played Team Fortress only other game I have played on my Mac was Battlefield and not sure which version that was. I mostly use it for coding and Adobe CS4. Next I will try out CS4 on there and see how it does.

Oh and playing WOW on the 40" flat screen while sitting in the recliner is pretty cool as well. :D

I picked up a DisplayPort to DVI connector today and hooked up all 3 connectors DVI, HDMI, and DisplayPort and all three worked together. I'm still not able to get the 2nd DVI port to work so hooking up 4 monitors does not seem to work - or at least after I got those 3 hooked up I did not try and hook up the other DVI but would not work before the DisplayPort so do not suspect it would work after.

Anyone have any thoughts on getting the 2nd DVI working? And still running GraphicsEnabler=No.

Finally some update: the displayport to DVI active adapter that I ordered back in November finally arrived today and the long LONG wait was worth it. It works beautifully with GraphicsEnabler = Yes. Now I'll try to get a third monitor to test a three monitors setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back