Contribute
Register

Anyone using the Magic Mouse without Issues on a Hackintosh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z87N-WIFI
CPU
i7-4770K
Graphics
GTX 780 Ti
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I just completed my Hackintosh build, and the Magic Mouse I got off eBay is giving me fits. It will not track worth a darn, looses connection, etc, etc. It was supposed to be brand new, and it looks like it is (even came with the new batteries). I am using a Sabrent Micro USB Bluetooth adapter, which is on the approved list as working OOB (and it does). http://www.frys.com/product/6103319

I am trying to determine if the Mouse is defective, or my bluetooth module is the problem.

Can anyone confirm they actually this device w/o issues? The internet is flooded with people reporting that it looses signal frequently. I have tried multiple trouble shooting techniques, mark a favorite, reset EPROM (or whatever it is called), new batteries, reboot etc, etc.

Any ideas?

I was thinking of going to the Apple Store to pick up another one to test and see if works any better.

I had similar issues with my Magic Mouse and an IOGEAR bluetooth module. The IOGEAR worked OOB as well. I found my issue to be a communication/distance problem. I simply used a USB extension cable, and placed the bluetooth module within sight of the magic mouse, but still hidden. Give that a shot. You can find extension cables on Amazon for less than $5, if you don't already own one.

skirk08 said:
I had similar issues with my Magic Mouse and an IOGEAR bluetooth module. The IOGEAR worked OOB as well. I found my issue to be a communication/distance problem. I simply used a USB extension cable, and placed the bluetooth module within sight of the magic mouse, but still hidden. Give that a shot. You can find extension cables on Amazon for less than $5, if you don't already own one.

Thanks for the reply. I think I have ruled that out also. I have tried the Sabrent USB module plugged into the Apple USB keyboard which puts the receiver about 12" from the mouse. I have also tried it plugged into the front of my case which is about 30" total distance, neither helped the situation.

It is very frustrating. When it works the mouse is awesome, but if it won't go 5 minutes w/o issues.

I am using Magic Mouse without any issues. Previously I used a mighty mouse without any issues either. I have a hackintosh Dell Latitude 2100 running snow leopard 10.6.7.

I got a rocketfish bluetooth adapter at bestbuy (which I will return since I got one on ebay for $7), and it has no issues with the magic mouse. For some reason the magic mouse didn't like the Sabrent Micro USB at all. Since switching to the Rocketfish, I have had zero problems.

I am using the USB Bluetooth items in my signature with system 10.6.8 through 10.7.2. Have had no issues. :wave:

EDIT: I changed my signature block as requested, so thought I would update this thread. The rules says the limit is a single line with only main components.
Unfortunately, it makes the comment I made when I created this message not make a lot of sense.
I was using a Magic Mouse, and am now using an Apple Track Pad and a Macally BT keyboard. Use the keyboard for changes in BIOS.
:cool:

hey i have kinda like the same problem here, my mighty mouse can connect via my bluetooth adapter and stays connected. but its not really moving at all. when i move it the mouse on the screen will just move for like 1 mm or so.

the strange thing about all this is, when i transfer data via bluetooth to my macbook pro the mouse will work just fine for that time.

any advices for that problem? I'm using an hackintosh 10.7.4 but had the same problem on 10.7.3 too.

I've built my PC into a G5 Case.

I did not have the exact problem you have, but I think if you try a different bt adapter you will get better results. My first adapter was a sabrent bt adapter and it worked but had major problems. Switching to a rocket fish fixed it. Now I am using an apple home made one and it works just like the rocket fish but has greater range due to the antenna.

I am using Belkin mini BT Adaptor (the same one in Apple Store) connecting Magic Mouse, Magic Trackpad and Apple Wireless Keyboard all three at the same time.

Belkin BT is plugged into a powered USB hub on a Dell LCD.

Gesture works perfectly and no drop out issues. KB works with Chimera but not with BIOS.
Sleep/Wake works without unplugged adaptor.

I previously use

BluNext BT 2.0: no gesture, only 1 device and lots drop outs
and then

Huma BT 2.1: Gesture works but need to pair each reboot/wake so required USB KB and Mouse first to reconnect the BT devices.

ive been using a magic mouse for over a year without any issues. I have a targus bluetooth stick plugged into the usb port on the apple keyboard right next to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back