Contribute
Register

Anyone using 10 GbE or SFP+ on a hackintosh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte X299X Designare 10G
CPU
Intel i9-10900X
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey guys!

I'd like to improve my network speed by switching from link aggregated GbE to 10 GbE (ten gigabit of copper ethernet) or SFP+ (fibre channel). Is anyone already using this on a hackintosh? I can't a lot of information about that.

I found the Thecus C10GTR using a Tehuti TN4010 chip. Tehuti announced mac os x support in a press release, but I can't find a driver. The card is 200 $ only.
The Netgear XS708E is 800 $ only and would be a nice 8 port switch for that card, but is unmanaged.

On the other hand there is fibre channel. I found the ASUS PEB-10G, a cheaper SFP+ card using Broadcom BCM57712/BCM8727 or the HP 81Q using Qlogic QLE2560. I can't find any drivers anywhere. And the cheapest 10 Gb fibre channel switch is far more expensive than the Netgear.

But anyway, I would invest if somebody shows me a setup with really good transfer speed that will work on my hackintosh. Thunderbolt isn't an option at this point.

Is there a list with supported 10 Gb network chips in yosemite or mavericks?

Cheers,
Dogman

did you end up using any of these cards? or finding another one that works? I'm looking for a 10gb connection

Promise make the SANLink 2 box that has a 10GB Ethernet availability I would look into what chipset they use and buy the PCI version.

I have used SFP+ in the past and now using 10GBase-T.

For SFP+, I used SolarFlare cards. They used to offer macOS drivers for download on their website but, the last time I checked, they were no longer available.

For 10GBase-T, I have used Intel X540-T2 and two different AQC107 based cards. The Intel X540-T2 requires pid mod to firmware using Linux and Small Tree drivers. Depending on which AQC107 card you choose, it may be supported by macOS natively.

Have a look at Chelsio cards, I have a T420-CR running in my hackintosh and it works pretty great. Mac drivers are on the chelsio.com site. SFP+

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back