nVIDIA GeForce 9400 GT
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hello all,

This is my first post here, and I don't know the reaction this might get based on reading the general rules after signing up. But here goes. Back in 2008 I purchased a Psystar desktop to do some graphics work in school. For those unfamiliar, it basically (to my knowledge) was one of the original hackintosh computers that were prebuilt and had OSX preinstalled. A quick google search and you can get more background info, much more than I could provide. After school I picked up a macbook. It (the psystar) was sort of cast aside unused since around 2012-13 but I recently booted it up. It appears chrome is no longer supporting 10.5.6. I tried using a snow leopard image on USB from a retail DVD, it appeared to install but at the end would not update. Still stuck on 10.5.6. I'm thinking of starting from scratch and building an updated desktop rig and using the resources from this great community to do so. I remember toiling with updates in fear of breaking the system in the past, but now it seems the hackintosh community is much more widespread these days. It's amazing. Should I keep this Psystar and try to update the OS, or just keep it for nostalgia? Obviously the hardware are very dated, but I haven't met another person with a Psystar. It's kind of cool. I noticed it said in the rules many of the components that it was built with are not recommended. Anyone here have one or have any input? As I have nothing other than my macbook , I put the specifications for the psystar in my signature. Thanks.

I assumed I was the only one who purchased a computer from Psystar. In fact, I believe mine are the same specs: Q8300 Core 2 Quad, 4GB RAM, GA-G31M-ES2L MB, and an EVGA 9500GT (I swapped out my 9400 when I built my dad's computer).

Either way, the last upgrade I did to my machine was Lion. I found that with upgrading through the various OSX releases, the Ethernet NIC and audio would not work properly. I also found that OSX doesn't play nice with overclocking with this CPU/MB combo. Since then, I've dropped in an SSD and loaded Ubuntu. I think you'll find some posts about this specific mother board, which should be able to guide you on possibly loading Mavericks. Otherwise, I'm pretty happy with Ubuntu 14.10 on this machine, running it overclocked at 3.2GHz.

Awesome, I was in the same boat-- never thought I'd meet anyone else with a psystar. Do you still introduce it as such for the one's that ask? I remember when I first got it--it was blowing people's minds due to being much less common. How is it holding up running Ubuntu? I suppose I'll mess around with this a bit more before dropping the cash on a completely new build. Thanks for the reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back