Contribute
Register

Anyone have iMessage working?

Do you have iMessage working in Yosemite?

• Yes

Votes: 45 25.6%
  • No

Votes: 131 74.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes but you HAVE to be running Clover for it to work. I'll PM you a link that'll show you how to do it but keep in mind that it also has instructions for Chameleon THAT WON'T WORK!:p

Would love a copy of the link too, if you have time :)

I am more than willing to try Clover, especially with the nice guide Tony put out yesterday. The only hurdle I have, however, is how do I go about "uninstalling" Chimera and installing Clover? Is there a "good" way to do that? All the guides I have seen is how to setup Clover, not how to migrate from Chimera (which is needed considering it seems to be the way things are going).

How does dual booting work with Clover if it resides on the EFI partition?

You don't have to uninstall Chimera; Clover and Chimera can live together without any special changes. Just install Clover, then choose to boot your system with your Mobo's UEFI setting, and you should be good to go. If you don't boot with UEFI, you'll see Chimera instead. It's totally easy.

You don't have to uninstall Chimera; Clover and Chimera can live together without any special changes. Just install Clover, then choose to boot your system with your Mobo's UEFI setting, and you should be good to go. If you don't boot with UEFI, you'll see Chimera instead. It's totally easy.

What he said. :)

Just be ABSOLUTELY SURE 100% POSITIVE you check the Clover option to install for UEFI booting only or you'll overwrite your Chimera bootloader and unless you get it right the first time you'll be wishing you hadn't tried!

Good luck

I am more than willing to try Clover, especially with the nice guide Tony put out yesterday. The only hurdle I have, however, is how do I go about "uninstalling" Chimera and installing Clover? Is there a "good" way to do that? All the guides I have seen is how to setup Clover, not how to migrate from Chimera (which is needed considering it seems to be the way things are going).

How does dual booting work with Clover if it resides on the EFI partition?

Hi Gordo,

"Uninstalling" Chimera & installing Clover, i did that several months ago on my then Mavericks install (after a full backUp of course), this was after i had successfully tried Clover on a spare drive and had a working OSX Mavericks Clover USB flash drive with a folder i added containing all my post install files e,g kexts, modified config.plist, DSDT(optional) and some useful apps.

• deleted my Extra folder and removed all the kexts that i had installed with MultiBeast (all of which were installed in System/Library/Extensions in Mavericks)
  • Repaired Permissions using Disk utility
  • ran the OS X Combo Update installer
  • rebooted into BIOS to my Clover USB flash drive
  • selected my existing Mavericks install from the Clover USB bootloader options and booted into OS X Mavericks
  • ran latest Clover and selected the required UEFI boot options and in my Clover EFI where i added FakeSMC + Sensors and Ethernet kexts along with my edited config.plist and my (optional) DSDT.
  • After running the installer, i would have gone back into the BIOS and changed my boot drive for the UEFI prefix option SSD boot drive (instead of using e.g P0 legacy booting via Chimera)
  • booted without USB and then i was back in business

I used that for a good while but it had some odd stability issues and no Recovery HD partition so in the end i performed a fresh install of Clover Mavericks and was golden.

For dual booting, if your other OSes are installed in UEFI mode then they will dual boot very readily from Clover bootloader screen because they will use the GPT as OSX does instead of MBR.

I have a Windows 7 installed on a separate drive but is was installed years back in MBR (legacy method) and though it appears in my Clover bootloader, i've not figured out how to boot it (i rarely use it anyway thanks to VirtualBox). There are optional Clover boot files you can install to get that booting, i've yet to try it though.

The best advice that i can give you about Clover is the advice given by Clipper99

Dude, take a deep breath and relax. If you were smart enough to get this far then you're probably able to figure out Clover. It was a sharp learning curve for me at first.

If you have a spare drive why not try to learn something new? Here's a great link to how to do it by mr. tonymacx86 himself:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-desktop-guides/144426-how-install-os-x-yosemite-using-clover.html

I wish I had this guide when I first started with Clover last year!

Good luck!

well said clipper99,

that was exactly what i did when i first migrated to Clover, i purchased a cheap 64gb SSD and tried Clover using the guide that Tonymac wrote when they introduced it for Mavericks. Now i'm good :thumbup:

Edit: having read some recent replies (which were not there when i started writing this), looks like my advice on "Uninstalling" Chimera & installing Clover, is "Redundant" - sorry guys, that's what happens when i try an write a detailed reply an get distracted -everyone else replies before i finish (note to self - keep it short :oops: )

Interesting - so if I enable UEFI booting, does it load Chimera after Clover?

No, only Clover. If you don't select the UEFI drive and instead select (or make default) the P0_drive (in other words the non-UEFI) drive (we're talking about the SAME drive here) then it'll boot Chimera which is already installed and running on your system.

I have a working install with Yosemite using Chimera. All except for iMessage.
With all the Clover talk, I would like to try it. I have my main drive and a backup clone drive both running Yosemite with Chimera. I want to try Clover on the backup drive.
I read that there is a way to copy clover to my USB Unibeast drive and copy it to my backup drive.
If you can point me to some instructions I would appreciate it.
I prefer not to do a complete install on the backup drive if I don't have to.

Any help is appreciated!

Len

I was never ever able to get it working with Mavericks with Chameleon... I switched to Clover now on Yosemite and am now getting the message to contact support. I suspect this was the reason things weren't working under Mavericks as well (being locked out).
Given the reports I'm currently on hold with Apple to get it unlocked since I also have a MBP I presume they'll be able to help.
:beachball:

Every time I try to send someone an Imessage from my mac there contact comes up in red. Then it says this person is not registered with imessage, when I know they are. I am using clover 2850. I don't want to have to call Apple again and am hoping there is a fix for this that does not require signing out of imessage on my mac. Thanks for any help on this issue.

Well, Apple was able to unlock me... They said something about IP address blocks seem to happen to people randomly, so I guess perhaps it's happing to those with real Mac hardware as well occasionally.
I am able to sign in but not actually send iMessages, so perhaps it's not quite fixed... or maybe I just need to wait a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back