Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> Anyone had any luck with Asus Prime Z490-A

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks! this solved my reboot issues.

The only thing I seem to lost is the audio, are you using the onboard audio Realtek ALC S1220A??
Good to know. :thumbup:

I have the same motherboard, so yes, the audio chip is the ALC1220.

First thing. Make sure that 'Name: Internal Speakers / Type: Built-in' is selected in the Sound (pane), Output (tab) of System Preferences (and your speakers are plugged in, switched on, with a little volume applied). Try other available devices as well, if you like, and see if any work.

Let me know if you then have sound. If you don't, then please show the output from running the following command in Terminal:

kextstat | grep -E "AppleHDA|AppleALC|Lilu"

Last edited by a moderator:
Good to know. :thumbup:

I have the same motherboard, so yes, the audio chip is the ALC1220.

First thing. Make sure that 'Name: Internal Speakers / Type: Built-in' is selected in the Sound (pane), Output (tab) of System Preferences (and your speakers are plugged in, switched on, with a little volume applied). Try other available devices as well, if you like, and see if any work.

Let me know if you then have sound. If you don't, then please show the output from running the following command in Terminal:

kextstat | grep -E "AppleHDA|AppleALC|Lilu"
Thanks!! Everything is working perfectly!

Well turns out this whole shortage things is causing problems for ASUS they are really trying to turn around the bad support ive got so I give them tons of credit..... sent them the DOA unit they are repairing and sending that back to me and the fact is I got an upgrade from a PRIME Z490 to an ASUS ROG STRIX Z490E which is quitq price jump! Ill be updating my system info now but this thread should probably be closed out now!

Well turns out this whole shortage things is causing problems for ASUS they are really trying to turn around the bad support ive got so I give them tons of credit..... sent them the DOA unit they are repairing and sending that back to me and the fact is I got an upgrade from a PRIME Z490 to an ASUS ROG STRIX Z490E which is quitq price jump! Ill be updating my system info now but this thread should probably be closed out now!
Looks like a decent board, for sure. Now I feel so upstaged, with only a Prime Z490-A :lol:

You’re right about that. It caused the crash issue, now it all stable after removed.
I found that the Prime Z490-A with Catalina did require FakePCIID.
I experimented with several solutions, but ultimately the combination of FakePCIID and another kext specific to the i225 network was the only solution that worked.

The same board did not require FakePCIID with both Big Sur and Monterey. In fact the presence of these kexts proved to be quite detrimental.
For both of these flavours of macOS the i225 proved as performant as advertised when only using the device-id and a boot argument.

Less patching is always desirable, where possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
I found that the Prime Z490-A with Catalina did require FakePCIID.
I experimented with several solutions, but ultimately the combination of FakePCIID and another kext specific to the i225 network was the only solution that worked.

The same board did not require FakePCIID with both Big Sur and Monterey. In fact the presence of these kexts proved to be quite detrimental.
For both of these flavours of macOS the i225 proved as performant as advertised when only using the device-id and a boot argument.

Less patching is always desirable, where possible.
Totally agreed, less Kext & less configuration change is always a good thing. I guess Big Sur & Monterey added more default device support. (which is a win to all the Prime 490-A users)

Totally agreed, less Kext & less configuration change is always a good thing. I guess Big Sur & Monterey added more default device support. (which is a win to all the Prime 490-A users)
...and a big loss to the concept of backward compatibility (not that Apple have paid much heed to that in recent years).

I swear im not having any luck with asus... they said they were sending me another rog strix z490e gaming but they sent me a z590 rog strix instead.. from what i understand they run mac os but not with an integrated gpu I would have to buy a video card and thats a no go for me.. omg the luck im having with this company!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back