Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> Anyone had any luck with Asus Prime Z490-A

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that may be true although I haven't tried to verify that, you were talking about Monterey and I would venture it would work with it.

Ugh couldn't get the right thing to quote... anyways in regards to your answer Feartech I went ahead this time and cleared ALL USB ports in Hackintool and then did a refresh tried and the same thing.......

Basically Port 03 is a 3.1 port - Plug in a USB2.0 drive reads as HS03, plug in a USB 3.0 drive STILL reads as HS03

Could this be because my motherboard has both get 3.1 and 3.2 on it? Something confusing Hackintool? I don't think there is an issue with the actual motherboard my USB speeds in windows are perfectly fine!

Any other suggestions? If not I think I'm just gonna stay on Catalina since its stable long as I don't let it sleep!!

Ugh couldn't get the right thing to quote... anyways in regards to your answer Feartech I went ahead this time and cleared ALL USB ports in Hackintool and then did a refresh tried and the same thing.......

Basically Port 03 is a 3.1 port - Plug in a USB2.0 drive reads as HS03, plug in a USB 3.0 drive STILL reads as HS03

Could this be because my motherboard has both get 3.1 and 3.2 on it? Something confusing Hackintool? I don't think there is an issue with the actual motherboard my USB speeds in windows are perfectly fine!

Any other suggestions? If not I think I'm just gonna stay on Catalina since its stable long as I don't let it sleep!!
not really with your usb port situation

but for sleep, the 5 sudo commands from here may help:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-native-power-management-for-laptops.175801/post-1126820
if not then usb ports will need be addressed somehow as that can cause sleep issues

Thanks man, but im going to wait as i usually dont use sleep much anyways, least till USB mapping works..... Can you confirm what i said last tho..

Basically HS03 is a usb 2.0 where SS03 would be the USB 3.1/3.2 port (im asking if only the HS/SS part changes but does the number still say the same or can it be a different number altogether?) What IF I did the port mapping determined what number is what and just deleted the ports i dont need but keep the corresponding HS/SS numbers together maybe that would fix things? Or maybe just keep ONLY USB 2.0 ports for now would also maybe work??? Last but not least I can go into BIOS and actually disable USB ports and get them below 15 that way (im not concerned with missing ports even in windows cuz i dont use a whole lot anyways)

And also I'm asking because im ready to email Asus under possibly an issue with USB on this perticular motherboard, becuase all across these forums people have success stories with this board, and meanwhile i keep getting screwed over and over lmao............

NOTE: Edited Post a couple times lmao!!

Last edited:
Thanks man, but im going to wait as i usually dont use sleep much anyways, least till USB mapping works..... Can you confirm what i said last tho..

Basically HS03 is a usb 2.0 where SS03 would be the USB 3.1/3.2 port (im asking if only the HS/SS part changes but does the number still say the same or can it be a different number altogether?) What IF I did the port mapping determined what number is what and just deleted the ports i dont need but keep the corresponding HS/SS numbers together maybe that would fix things? Or maybe just keep ONLY USB 2.0 ports for now would also maybe work??? Last but not least I can go into BIOS and actually disable USB ports and get them below 15 that way (im not concerned with missing ports even in windows cuz i dont use a whole lot anyways)

And also I'm asking because im ready to email Asus under possibly an issue with USB on this perticular motherboard, becuase all across these forums people have success stories with this board, and meanwhile i keep getting screwed over and over lmao............

@UtterDisbelief may have some more insight on this issue

I have a desktop with a Asus motherboard, Prime Z370-P and in the bios i am able to disable/enable usb ports...

also have come across this thread:
where there is a USBPorts.kext:
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
    <key>CFBundleDevelopmentRegion</key>
    <string>English</string>
    <key>CFBundleGetInfoString</key>
    <string>1.0 Copyright © 2018 Headsoft. All rights reserved.</string>
    <key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
    <string>com.Headsoft.USBPorts</string>
    <key>CFBundleInfoDictionaryVersion</key>
    <string>6.0</string>
    <key>CFBundleName</key>
    <string>USBPorts</string>
    <key>CFBundlePackageType</key>
    <string>KEXT</string>
    <key>CFBundleShortVersionString</key>
    <string>1.0</string>
    <key>CFBundleSignature</key>
    <string>????</string>
    <key>CFBundleVersion</key>
    <string>1.0</string>
    <key>IOKitPersonalities</key>
    <dict>
        <key>iMac19,1-XHC</key>
        <dict>
            <key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
            <string>com.apple.driver.AppleUSBMergeNub</string>
            <key>IOClass</key>
            <string>AppleUSBMergeNub</string>
            <key>IONameMatch</key>
            <string>XHC</string>
            <key>IOProbeScore</key>
            <integer>5000</integer>
            <key>IOProviderClass</key>
            <string>AppleUSBXHCIPCI</string>
            <key>IOProviderMergeProperties</key>
            <dict>
                <key>port-count</key>
                <data>
                GAAAAA==
                </data>
                <key>ports</key>
                <dict>
                    <key>HS01</key>
                    <dict>
                        <key>UsbConnector</key>
                        <integer>3</integer>
                        <key>port</key>
                        <data>
                        AQAAAA==
                        </data>
                    </dict>
                    <key>HS02</key>
                    <dict>
                        <key>UsbConnector</key>
                        <integer>3</integer>
                        <key>port</key>
                        <data>
                        AgAAAA==
                        </data>
                    </dict>
                    <key>HS05</key>
                    <dict>
                        <key>UsbConnector</key>
                        <integer>3</integer>
                        <key>port</key>
                        <data>
                        BQAAAA==
                        </data>
                    </dict>
                    <key>HS06</key>
                    <dict>
                        <key>UsbConnector</key>
                        <integer>3</integer>
                        <key>port</key>
                        <data>
                        BgAAAA==
                        </data>
                    </dict>
                    <key>HS07</key>
                    <dict>
                        <key>UsbConnector</key>
                        <integer>3</integer>
                        <key>port</key>
                        <data>
                        BwAAAA==
                        </data>
                    </dict>
                    <key>HS08</key>
                    <dict>
                        <key>UsbConnector</key>
                        <integer>3</integer>
                        <key>port</key>
                        <data>
                        CAAAAA==
                        </data>
                    </dict>
                    <key>HS09</key>
                    <dict>
                        <key>UsbConnector</key>
                        <integer>0</integer>
                        <key>port</key>
                        <data>
                        CQAAAA==
                        </data>
                    </dict>
                    <key>HS10</key>
                    <dict>
                        <key>UsbConnector</key>
                        <integer>0</integer>
                        <key>port</key>
                        <data>
                        CgAAAA==
                        </data>
                    </dict>
                    <key>HS11</key>
                    <dict>
                        <key>UsbConnector</key>
                        <integer>0</integer>
                        <key>port</key>
                        <data>
                        CwAAAA==
                        </data>
                    </dict>
                    <key>SS01</key>
                    <dict>
                        <key>UsbConnector</key>
                        <integer>3</integer>
                        <key>port</key>
                        <data>
                        EQAAAA==
                        </data>
                    </dict>
                    <key>SS02</key>
                    <dict>
                        <key>UsbConnector</key>
                        <integer>3</integer>
                        <key>port</key>
                        <data>
                        EgAAAA==
                        </data>
                    </dict>
                    <key>SS05</key>
                    <dict>
                        <key>UsbConnector</key>
                        <integer>3</integer>
                        <key>port</key>
                        <data>
                        FQAAAA==
                        </data>
                    </dict>
                    <key>SS06</key>
                    <dict>
                        <key>UsbConnector</key>
                        <integer>3</integer>
                        <key>port</key>
                        <data>
                        FgAAAA==
                        </data>
                    </dict>
                    <key>SS07</key>
                    <dict>
                        <key>UsbConnector</key>
                        <integer>3</integer>
                        <key>port</key>
                        <data>
                        FwAAAA==
                        </data>
                    </dict>
                    <key>SS08</key>
                    <dict>
                        <key>UsbConnector</key>
                        <integer>3</integer>
                        <key>port</key>
                        <data>
                        GAAAAA==
                        </data>
                    </dict>
                </dict>
            </dict>
            <key>model</key>
            <string>iMac19,1</string>
        </dict>
    </dict>
    <key>OSBundleRequired</key>
    <string>Root</string>
</dict>
</plist>
(you would have to change the model from iMac19,1 to your model)
probably not best to use, but may be able to utilize something from it

also another one here:

also check for any new bios updates from asus website as that may help

To straighten this USB issue out:

1) The last time we saw a USBPorts.kext was one with no USB 3 ports configured. Post #60.

@Feartech has pointed to a couple of examples with similar/same motherboards. Always a good place to get inspiration. A good idea to try a different system-definition too but remember to disconnect from the Internet when you do because serial-numbers change and can flummox Apple. I would not recommend iMac20,1, though others will disagree I'm sure. iMac19,1 or even iMac18,3 are more reliable in my view.

2) If you are using any version of Big Sur later than 11.2.3 then the XhciPortLimit quirk will not work and you will only see HS/USB2 ports working.

The Z490 is not difficult to configure for USB. Period.

3) You original port map was incorrect if the Asus web-site specs are the same as your motherboard:

ports.jpg

So not all of the rear panel USB ports are USB3 as per your USBPorts.kext configuration. There are 2x USB2.0 ports. This is about hardware connectivity. If you get it wrong then electrically the port will not work correctly.

4) The guide will work for your motherboard.

Last edited:
To straighten this USB issue out:

1) The last time we saw a USBPorts.kext was one with no USB 3 ports configured. Post #60.

@Feartech has pointed to an example with a different system-definition, and personally I'd give that a try instead. That was an Asus Z490-P motherboard so not exactly the same. However how ports are configured in the example gives you a feel for how your own should look. Your choice what you decide to do, obviously (remember to disconnect from the Internet when you try different system-definitions because serial-numbers change and can flummox Apple). I would not recommend iMac20,1, though others will disagree I'm sure.

2) If you are using any version of Big Sur later than 11.2.3 then the XhciPortLimit quirk will not work and you will only see HS/USB2 ports working.

The Z490 is not difficult to configure for USB. Period.

3) You original port map was incorrect if the Asus web-site specs are the same as your motherboard:

So not all of the rear panel USB ports are USB3 as per your USBPorts.kext configuration. There are 2x USB2.0 ports. This is about hardware connectivity. If you get it wrong then electrically the port will not work correctly.

4) The guide will work for your motherboard.
As I have mentioned the REASON your not seeing usb 3 ports is because when i plug a usb 3 device into a usb 3 port it comes up still as HS01 instead of SS01 for example! I thought I made that quite clear in the last couple posts, and I also pointed out that this motherboard should be a sinch.

Now im doing this all in Catalina as ive already mentioned as well! SO no im not using big sur later than 11.2.3 when port mapping broke (the version above that to be exact)

But really the bottom line is no matter if its a usb 2 device or a usb 3 device plugged into a gen 1 or gen 2 usb 3 port it still comes up as only HS... Ive never once plugged in a USB 3 flash drive or any usb 3 device for that matter and had it come up as SS so as ive mentioned before should I contact asus as this is odd behaviour? Obviously ill try to changeup the system definition right now and see if that helps first, and possibly trying that other kext he found.

Last edited:
As I have mentioned the REASON your not seeing usb 3 ports is because when i plug a usb 3 device into a usb 3 port it comes up still as HS01 instead of SS01 for example! I thought I made that quite clear in the last couple posts, and I also pointed out that this motherboard should be a sinch.

Now im doing this all in Catalina as ive already mentioned as well! SO no im not using big sur later than 11.2.3 when port mapping broke (the version above that to be exact)

But really the bottom line is no matter if its a usb 2 device or a usb 3 device plugged into a gen 1 or gen 2 usb 3 port it still comes up as only HS... Ive never once plugged in a USB 3 flash drive or any usb 3 device for that matter and had it come up as SS so as ive mentioned before should I contact asus as this is odd behaviour? Obviously ill try to changeup the system definition right now and see if that helps first, and possibly trying that other kext he found.

Okay. Yes, you made that clear.

I'm sorry I was trying to help. I know nothing about USB.

Good luck with you build.

Okay. Yes, you made that clear.

I'm sorry I was trying to help. I know nothing about USB.

Good luck with you build.
Sorry if I offended I admit I'm getting frustrated myself here shouldn't be having these issues which keeps making me think of a board issue..... I tried iMac 19,1 changed serials no change in Hackintool detection, then took it a step further and used that same USB kext and even his ACPI stuff and still Hackintool will not detect anything SS ****in pisses me off!

Can anyone else come up with any other suggestions? Should I just try to run hackintool pick the usb 2 ports (HS) that I wanna keep and then just be sure to keep the corresponding SS ports to go along with while taking into account the limit of 15 and maybe that would fix things even tho SS ports never trigger?

Or any other suggestions at this point? I know this is a mac site but is there a windows tool that would allow me to test speeds of usb ports to see if they are even running properly in windows? I did a google search found a bunch of tools but not really sure which one i should go with......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back