Contribute
Register

Anyone got the LG 34" 34WK95U Monitor Working on Hackintosh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I quite not underestand SwitchresX purpose, I can add custom resolution into system but I need 5120x2160 resolution with Larger Text and Larger Application enviroment because its tiny now
Best resoliutions for eyes are HiDPI marked, i would be fine with half of 5K2K but then I want more space
but your monitor isnt 5120x2160 resolution ?...

It is, LG 5K2K 60Hz Ultrawide, same as model in topic :rolleyes:

Are we stuck with microscopic tiny macOS environment? Or there is any option how to upscale text, applications and etc.

When I connect to MBP'2018 and I do mirroring between displays, I choose Larger Text, which gives me beautiful 5K2K experience

Got my 34WK95U today, connect with the Displayport cable came with the monitor.
(FYI. It won't boot with Displayport 1.4, had to switch to 1.2 and update firmware for 1080Ti under WIndows to fix that.)

I can see 5120x2160 option but can only get 30Hz with that. Lower resolutions can go up to 60Hz, but not 2560x1080...

Everything works perfectly under windows, so I think it is macOS to blamed.

Anyone has a solution for this please mention me in your post, much appreciated.

BTW. I'm still on HS.
This Apple & Nvidia sh&*(^!t is making me miserable. ;(

Screen Shot 2019-01-30 at 10.37.00 PM.png

Quick update: tried Thunderbolt port but got no luck.

I connect the two DP from the GPU to my thunderbolt card and connect the monitor to the Thunderbolt port, and here's what I got: system believes I have TWO monitors connected, LOL

Screen Shot 2019-02-01 at 10.17.06 PM.png

Anyone else figure this out? The monitors are working well but i can't get the HiDPI resolutions i want. Basically the only options presented that are at full 5K are 5120x2160 (which is 1:1 and everything is too small on the monitor for practical everyday use) or 2560x1080, which puts the monitors into 5120x2160 full rez mode but doubles the scaling on everything. This looks good, but everything is too large (scaled up) for my taste- i dont want such a small "looks like" resolution.

The sweet spot for these monitors is a HiDPI scaled 3440x1440 resolution, where the image is processed at some 6K+ (i think 6880 x 2880 is the resolution it renders the desktop at) and then downscales to 5120x2160 and scaled as though it was 3440x1440. I dont understand why the full HiDPI modes (and even the typical HiDPI scaled menu in system preferences->Displays) is missing. If i plug my real MacBook pro into the monitor i get the proper resolution options i am after (with the typical HiDPI scaled menu options for "more space" or "larger text". But on my hackintosh i don't get these options. i have tried with a 1080ti in 10.13.6, then a Vega64 in mojave and now using a radeon vii in 10.14.5 and the issue persists regardless of the setup.

Thanks,
g\

Last edited:
Looks like after 1/2 year there is no treat yet, It looks like you tried everything

Looks like after 1/2 year there is no treat yet, It looks like you tried everything

the screen issue really makes me switch back to Windows for most of the time... after all the satisfaction gained from getting a full operatable hackintosh....

Well, after sitting at the corner for three months, I finally light up this 5k2k baby successfully.
It is running at 3840x1620@60hz right now. (Perfectly fine with 5120x2160 if you're curious)

I have 1080ti with two DP connected to the Thunderbolt mini-DP (Gigabyte GC-ALPINE RIDGE (rev. 2.0))
and connect to the monitor with the Type-C connector.

Everything is running fine except that only DP 1.2 works (tried switch to DP 1.4 in the monitor settings but it won't light up, will try again later) and the USB upstream only works with USB-B mode which isn't a big deal.
Oh, also macOS is not recognizing the monitor as a sound output device which used to work fine, so I will try to work this out later, but who needs the terrible speakers anyway.

FYI. I'm running:
macOS 10.13.6 17G6030
Web Driver 387.10.10.10.40.127

Well, after sitting at the corner for three months, I finally light up this 5k2k baby successfully.
It is running at 3840x1620@60hz right now. (Perfectly fine with 5120x2160 if you're curious)

Are you saying you have HiDPI mode working? What were the steps you took to get that working? can you post your EFI folder? And mention any other graphics related kexts you might have installed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back