Contribute
Register

Anyone got a Dual Xeon working on High Sierra?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone know what VoodooTSCSync.kext does? It was a part of my build before, but not anymore. Is it no longer needed or could the lack of it be causing my random KPs?

Update: Nevermind, put VoodooTSCsync.kext back in my build, but I still get a KP tracing back to Nvidia's web drivers when doing heavy GPU work.

Looks like I'm going to have to roll back to Sierra for now.

Last edited:
Anyone figure out a way to overcome the 5th slot issue on the Z9 non WS platform?

Anyone figure out a way to overcome the 5th slot issue on the Z9 non WS platform?

I've invested quite some time but until now wasn't able to get my NVidia card working.
Tried flashing the 1st available firmware (through an eeprom programmer). - no boot.....(incl. windows). Someone claimed it worked on the very first generation of the mobo incl. initial firmware.
Tried using an x8 - x16 flat cable and tried every PCI slot. No luck.

The big mystery to me is still: why??

If you look at the block diagrams for the z9pa-d8 and z9pe-d8 ws the difference is how PCI slot 5 is connected to the CPU.
On the WS it's a direct connection to the CPU for slot 5.

interesting but no explanation.
That's why I tried the x8 - x16 riser cable. that would bypass the multiplexer (at least that was my theory). x8 should be plenty of bandwith for a single card.

maybe a pci thunderbolt interface and then e-gpu housing?

I tried everything to overpass the limitation of only one slot working... didn't succeed, I tried the .
Amfeltec splitter.
It's working but not stable when rendering with Octane...
I finally gave up and bougth a Supermicro X9DAi Motherboard! Much better motherboard for Dual Xeons!

Videlam: I just bought the same board and am waiting for it to arrive. Can you please share your EFI folder? I plan on installing 2x E5-2697v2, 64G RAM, and an old R9-290x card.

Last edited:
Videlam: I just bought the same board and am waiting for it to arrive. Can you please share your EFI folder? I plan on installing 2x E5-2697v2, 64G RAM, and an old R9-290x card.
wich one the supermicro?

Anyone succeed with Z9pa-d8, dual Xeon E5 2670 and Nvidia 1070?

Anyone succeed with Z9pa-d8, dual Xeon E5 2670 and Nvidia 1070?

I've tried a lot....finding the 1st release of the bios, pci e risers to connect to the C602 connected slot but with no success. I ended up getting an X9Dai and Vega64 board. oh... and Fresco FL1000 USB3 card. This runs really stable and shutdown works (which was another annoying thing on the Z9pa-D8. Only thing I would like to improve is that turbo speeds don't work for me. Stuck at 2700 Mhz on my dual 2697V2's....

It's better to stick to something that has been reported to work else you might up spending hours and hours (and possibly more hours).....

I've tried a lot....finding the 1st release of the bios, pci e risers to connect to the C602 connected slot but with no success. I ended up getting an X9Dai and Vega64 board. oh... and Fresco FL1000 USB3 card. This runs really stable and shutdown works (which was another annoying thing on the Z9pa-D8. Only thing I would like to improve is that turbo speeds don't work for me. Stuck at 2700 Mhz on my dual 2697V2's....

It's better to stick to something that has been reported to work else you might up spending hours and hours (and possibly more hours).....
Have you tried to PCIE Risers to connect to PCI Express x8 (x8 link) slot? In Z9PA-D8 manual, I found some informations like this:
1. PCI Express x16 slot (slot 5 and slot 3) link to CPU1 and supports VGA cards
2. PCI Express x8 (x8 link) slot(slot 6,5, 4, 3) link to CPU1 and support VGA Cards
3. PCI Express x8 slot (x4 link) slot (slot 2) link to C602 PCH and don't have information about VGA.

I have tried PCIE Risers x4 to x16 with PCI Express x8 slot (x4 link) like you but not success (PCIE x8 slot (x8 link) not recognize my VGA Card with 1 long beep and 8 short beep). I'm waiting for PCIE Risers x8 to x16 to try again.

Sorry for my terrible English.

Last edited:
Have you tried to PCIE Risers to connect to PCI Express x8 (x8 link) slot? In Z9PA-D8 manual, I found some informations like this:
1. PCI Express x16 slot (slot 5 and slot 3) link to CPU1 and supports VGA cards
2. PCI Express x8 (x8 link) slot(slot 6,5, 4, 3) link to CPU1 and support VGA Cards
3. PCI Express x8 slot (x4 link) slot (slot 2) link to C602 PCH and don't have information about VGA.

I have tried PCIE Risers x4 to x16 with PCI Express x8 slot (x4 link) like you but not success (PCIE x8 slot (x8 link) not recognize my VGA Card with 1 long beep and 8 short beep). I'm waiting for PCIE Risers x8 to x16 to try again.

Sorry for my terrible English.

Hi I had a x8 to x16 riser card. Can't remember exactly which slots worked (under Windows) but I think the slot connected to the C602 worked under windows. Also tried the PIKE slot if I remember correct. it's an x8 slot operating at x4 speed.

If you look at the Z9PE-D8 manual you see that slot 5 is connected to CPU2 without being muxed and for most people that slot appears to be working with MacOS.

Would really like to understand why it wasn't working. Z9PA-D8 has a really nice form factor. For the SuperMicro board I had to get a new case, drill some holes for the stand-offs so that was a bit of work and taking up extra space. But.... it was great to have the first boot with graphics acceleration!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back