Contribute
Register

Anyone going back/sticking with Mavericks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H
CPU
i7-3770K
So I built a Hackintosh - wonderful. Been working great with Mavericks. Now I'd like Yosemite - Is it me? or has the time investment to get my rig working with Yo quadrupled? I'm thinking of just sticking with Mavericks for a while.

Any drawbacks with sticking with Mavericks? I primarily use Creative Cloud stuff...

I think the problem is I spent an great amount of time researching, reading this forum, testing and setting things up -- and then to come back a year later. I think in the future I'll re-install stuff more often so the knowledge doesn't dissipate. Looking to update my mobo and do it with clover and all the steps just makes me want to stick with Mav or buy a real mac.

So I built a Hackintosh - wonderful. Been working great with Mavericks. Now I'd like Yosemite - Is it me? or has the time investment to get my rig working with Yo quadrupled? I'm thinking of just sticking with Mavericks for a while.

Any drawbacks with sticking with Mavericks? I primarily use Creative Cloud stuff...

I think the problem is I spent an great amount of time researching, reading this forum, testing and setting things up -- and then to come back a year later. I think in the future I'll re-install stuff more often so the knowledge doesn't dissipate. Looking to update my mobo and do it with clover and all the steps just makes me want to stick with Mav or buy a real mac.

I'm sticking with Mavericks as for now. It just doesn't seem to be worth the effort to me. I'm currently running an almost 100% working hackintosh, with an Apple keyboard and Magic Mouse that works flawless. The only problem is iMessage which stopped working this summer, but I can live with that.

This is just my opinion, maybe someone are able to talk me out of it. :)

Rather than "update" I installed Yosemite to a different partition in a stable Mavericks/Windows hackintosh.
It is much more difficult to get Yosemite running and I am not looking forward to installing updates.
Using Chimera the difference between Mavericks and Yosemite is: icons and a slight difference in search. On Apple and Hackintosh machines intermittent problems persist with recognizing plugged in drives of all kinds.
It is difficult to get iMessage running in either. In real world use on my Apple machines (I use one daily for work) i Message is quite convenient but only applies to correspondents who have iPhones (not most of the world as far as I know).
I have an iPhone but only use its calendar for personal appointments (in my office appointments are scheduled in proprietary software) so there is nothing I want to synchronize. I never look at the OSX calendar so I do not even know if it synchronizes with my iPhone on the hackintosh.
In any event I built my first hackintosh back in Snow Leopard days to compare color management in OSX and Windows on identical hardware. To my surprise Windows was and remains the superior platform (there are inherent technical reasons for this I discovered/learned of, not just my subjective judgement) for color managed printing.
Performance in Snow Leopard, like XP compared to later versions of Windows, was significantly slower than ML, Mavericks and Yosemite but I do not see much difference in the last three iterations of OSX in daily use.
So if you want to experiment you do not have to risk your stable Mavericks installation.

I am new to Hackintosh.
I used the Multibeast guide here and have a 100% working Mavericks install including iMessage.
I then used another SSD to install Yosemite using Clover. Again a 100% working install including iMessage.

I just don't see the attraction of Yosemite. The new handoff/continuity features don't appeal to me.
So I bounce back and forth between the two installs, preferring Mavericks.

I guess I'm lucky to have two 100% working installs, but it took quite a bit of debugging effort, so much so that I almost gave up and bought a new Mac. But I persevered and am glad I did.
but I think I'll stay with Mavericks until all the bugs with Yosemite are addressed by Apple.

Len

Thanks all. Again I think if I were more knowledgable and built/rebuilt a computer more than once a year I would upgrade. But it's such a big time investment... knowledge drifts when not applied.

I'm stuck with Yosemite due to my GTX 970, afaik there's no support for it under Mavericks..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back