Contribute
Register

Anyone experienced increased battery life yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
BobbysPC
CPU
3615qm
Graphics
HD4000 + nVidia660
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hey guys,

I've got a 4530s on 10.8.2 working pretty much perfectly. Will be upgrading to Mavericks in the near future. Has anyone seen an increase in battery life yet? Mavericks is supposed to improve a lot of the back end stuff and I've read that regular Mac laptops have been getting battery boosts, but I'm wondering if the same is true for hackintoshes.

Thanks,

Epic

I am seeing better battery life myself on my 4540s.

I am seeing better battery life myself on my 4540s.

I only get about 2 hours of battery life on my 4540s on both ML & Mav. What settings are you using? What kexts are you using?

If anyone else is getting better battery life, please help us out.

I only get about 2 hours of battery life on my 4540s on both ML & Mav. What settings are you using? What kexts are you using?

If anyone else is getting better battery life, please help us out.

I am using the kexts that pro book installer installs for my 4540s. I have an SSD so that may help a bit. Using half brightness on battery. Have not done any tweaking to get better battery life. On ML I got around 2.5 hours on the battery and on Mavericks I am seeing right around 3 hours.

Hey guys,

I've got a 4530s on 10.8.2 working pretty much perfectly. Will be upgrading to Mavericks in the near future. Has anyone seen an increase in battery life yet? Mavericks is supposed to improve a lot of the back end stuff and I've read that regular Mac laptops have been getting battery boosts, but I'm wondering if the same is true for hackintoshes.

Thanks,

Epic

Hey I have an i5 4530s that I always set to full brightness even off charger, Ill let you know in a week. I'm noticing performance improvements. Just go to Mavericks now. Nice and easy.

Hey I have an i5 4530s that I always set to full brightness even off charger, Ill let you know in a week. I'm noticing performance improvements. Just go to Mavericks now. Nice and easy.

Yes, definitely performance improvements. But I also gained about an hour of battery life. I used to get 2 hours-3 hours, and now I get 4 :)

A little bit of history:

1) I upgraded from 10.8.5 just to test. Battery life was still about 2 hours: perhaps expected with an upgrade.
2) I did a fresh install after backing up all my stuff. Battery life was still the same. Steps 1 & 2 were done before the 1st posting.
3) Yesterday, I decided to do another fresh install (nothing changed) while using the same USB install stick (Mav from App Store) and Unibeast 3.0 installer. This time everything worked liked it use to in 10.8.3-4-5. Before installing and running software, temperatures were in the range of 100°-120°F. Additional software, regardless of type, hardly ever reached above 140°F. With Mav, it was reaching up to 163°F. That was too hot!

I am not sure what the problem was, but I will take the improvements for now. In the past, when this situation happened, I did an EC reset and the problem normally went away. I have the latest bios F.42. I do wonder if this may be a defective computer because I get the hard disk 3F0 errors from time to time. I did test my hard drive and it checked out OK. I will check it again, and if it's checks out OK, I will pursue HP tech and contemplate an RMA request.

The bottom line is now, I get anywhere from 3:00 hrs to 3:45 hrs, depending upon how much power is being used by apps. With min monitor lighting and with perhaps 20 tabs open in a browser, I may get 4 hrs if the overall temp stays at or below 115°F. I can live with this, especially when I go out into the work field to fix computers and networks!

Thanks for everyone's input.

I have a 4530s i3 and with mavericks my battery lasts about an hour longer.

I have a 4530s i3 and with mavericks my battery lasts about an hour longer.

Assuming you were using Mountain Lion before, what was your previous battery life time?

I realize that after some OSX updates, it seems that my battery life has gone back to almost what it was before. I do, however, get a little better than 2 hrs. I suspect that the problem has to do with OSX and not my computer; but, there are other times that I think that my computer is the culprit. I am going to use Windows 7 and 8 extensively to see if the same problem occurs. I have been using OSX 10.9 exclusively over the past couple of months. I do know that when I was using Windows, I was getting 4-5 hours on battery. If I still get that, I know that it's a OSX problem. I will keep you posted.

The good news is that I finally did a clean install of OSX 10.9 on my desktop and I only had one issue with sound. I did get that fixed. Everything else worked OOTB; so, I will be using the desktop and less of my laptop for the immediate future.

EliteBook 2570p

ML: ~4 hours
MAV: ~5,5 hours

Clean install

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back