Contribute
Register

Anybody Install Public Beta with non-Metal Graphics Card?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus P5P41TED
CPU
E8500
Graphics
GeForce 6200
Mobile Phone
  1. Other
I am very curious if someone from here managed to get it running on non-Metal graphics. On OpenGL or on some Metal emulation.

I am very curious if someone from here managed to get it running on non-Metal graphics. On OpenGL or on some Metal emulation.

All pre metal supported graphics cards have been dropped you may be able to install it but will have no acceleration this includes all pre ivy bridge intergrated graphics

GT 210 and 8400GS they work barely on default but it looks like a clown house. And no top menu bar function.

Others have replaced graphics Kexts in S/L/Extensions with Sierra (not High Sierra) Kexts and report success. Intel HD 3000 as well, just make sure to repair permissions and clear caches through terminal or kext beast/wizard before reboot. The trick is to install it first then change the Kexts system unless you have a compatible system to load on it would be hard to do.

GT 210 and 8400GS they work barely on default but it looks like a clown house. And no top menu bar function.

Others have replaced graphics Kexts in S/L/Extensions with Sierra (not High Sierra) Kexts and report success. Intel HD 3000 as well, just make sure to repair permissions and clear caches through terminal or kext beast/wizard before reboot. The trick is to install it first then change the Kexts system unless you have a compatible system to load on it would be hard to do.
Taking native kexts from Sierra to Mojave wouldn't be considered piracy? And, even if we conclude that it is not piracy, it does not look good on the long run, but only a temporary measure. I do not have video acceleration on High Sierra, I never had it since Yosemite, macOS worked fine without it. iMovie does not work (probably Final Cut Pro does not work either), visualizations in iTunes do not work, Maps and DVD Player do not work, VLC does not display video content, but it is fine for me. GarageBand Works fine (probably Logic Pro would work fine as well), it is enough. I hardly had any issues updating since the installation of Yosemite update 3. No games for me on macOS, so that does not matter either. I want Safari (with Youtube support as it is now), PDF viewing, TextEdit (I do not use iWork at all) iTunes to play mp3, to access App Store, iTunes Store, Apple Music, iBooks store, to install updates, GarageBand, if possible, but not necessarily I want those things to run on on Mojave as they ran since Yosemite to High Sierra. That is it.
And, besides, until the final launch of High Sierra 10.13.6, I shall not venture into testing Mojave, neither ask for help in installing it. I have little time, due to work and I hope those more experienced and with more time available then me shall find a way until then. I asked the question out of curiosity. Up to the end of July, when 10.13.6 will be out and the second public beta of Mojave will be here as well, probably things will get more clear.

Taking native kexts from Sierra to Mojave wouldn't be considered piracy? And, even if we conclude that it is not piracy, it does not look good on the long run, but only a temporary measure...
No, not piracy if you had downloaded Sierra from Apple's Mac App Store. And, yes, in this Beta discovery time, it's temporary, which is why you should backup all your important data. Being an Early Adapter is fun, isn't it?!

No, not piracy if you had downloaded Sierra from Apple's Mac App Store. And, yes, in this Beta discovery time, it's temporary, which is why you should backup all your important data. Being an Early Adapter is fun, isn't it?!
I used to have Sierra downloaded from the App Store, but I have not kept any copy if it, since I had High Sierra working fine. Even if I had to use Sierra kexts, I have no way to get them now. But I guess that, since the GUI of High Sierra Works with OpenGL instead of Metal on older, not Metal capable video cards, Mojave should work too, with some workaround.
It is fun to be an early adopter, I was early adopter of Sierra and High Sierra, but Mojave will come a little later for me, due to my lack of time this summer. I shall install Mojave beta before Golder Master, for sure, but not just on first, especially because I need to sure that I need to upgrade the GPU.

First attempt to install Mojave PB.
1) I could not create a proper installation pen drive using to Tonymac Clover build for lagacy. The drive was not seen as bootable by the PC, a laptop with UEFI that I do not want to hackintosh (at least right now) so it, but it froze on verbose mode with the maessage „Mach reboot”. Re-downloaded the installer and re-created the installation drive, but this time I did something different. After installing the custom Tonymac Clover build for Lagacy I have installed over it Clover for lagacy from Multibeast over it, then the latest official Clover build over this and added iMac 14.1 from System Definitions on the pen drive. This time the pen drive was seen by the PC and I was able to to boot from it, but no boot arguments seemed to be present on default, I had to add -v manualy.
2) I was able to boot the installer, I started the installation. Before first boot (I remember) the partition seems to have been converted from HFS+ to APFS. After exiting verbose mode, during the installation, the Apple logo with the progress bar appeared twice, first a blank grey screen with mouse pointer, then the Apple logo with the progress bar again with the installation screen progress. I has rebooted only once, not twice, like Sierra and High Sierra. When it finished, on first boot, the Apple logo with progress bar appeared twice, in between with the blank grey screen with the mouse pointer but, when the Welcome screen was suppose to be appear, the machine restarted. I have tried booting with -x, with different graphics injections, instead of my usual Nvidia, all ended up in the same reboot instead of a Welcome screen. My non-Metal Nvidia GPU most likely has something to do with it.
So, two main issues: 1) Clover needs some workaround, I guess the custom Tonymac Clover needs some tweal. 2) Failuri to load of the desktop on this non-Metal GPU (I guess). For now, reinstalled High Sierra, I guess a new beta build is on the way and I want to grab it as fast as I can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back