Contribute
Register

Anybody else lost their OC edge on OS X 10.7 Lion?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
motherboard or system make & model # > See Rules!
CPU
i7-4770K
Graphics
R9 280X
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Air
  4. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
As the subject. Anyone else out there forced to tone down their overclocking to get a successful Mac OS X 10.7 Lion install?

I used to clock my i3-530 @4.6GHz (210*22) when I was running Snow Leopard (10.6. 7/8). Things were all fine and snappy.
Then I was attempting to upgrade my built to Mac OS X 10.7 Lion earlier today and BAM! Things just keep crashing and KP'-ing all the way. Nothing loads (if any) and crashing and hanging...etc.
I did a couple of vanilla install along the way only to nail things down to my OC settings. I found that OS X 10.7 Lion simply can't run at the same spec as was Snow Leopard.
At the end of the day, I simply had to dial things all the way back to 4.2GHz (19x*22) to get running stable again.

Turns out the Lion simply can't be rushed as much, and don't dash as quick as the Leopards.

Is there anyone else out there who shares a similar experience? Or is it just me who somehow unknowingly got a big fat finger and pushed a button or two that I wasn't supposed to and shot myself in the foot?

Cheers :thumbup:

Re: Anybody else losing their OC edges on OS X 10.7 Lion?

Yes. I lost my underclocking advantage, so I reverted to 10.6.7 on another HD.

Personally mine has been an improvement, i currently clock a 3.2ghz Core i3 from stock to 4.2ghz and since upgrading to OSX Lion i have had about a 400 point different in Geekbench from 7400 to around 7800. I built the system using a Gigabyte P55-US3L rev1.0 board, core i3 550, GTX 275 and 8gb of Crucial DDR3-1333 ram (ram is running at 1400).

269844_10150237313456643_515806642_7822316_4207082_n.jpg

My other rig has become slower but i figure i need to sort out the installation as my DSDT is not right.

Anyhow all in all i am keeping the overclock, it is better with Lion :)

Cheers,

Tutor said:
Yes. I lost my underclocking advantage, so I reverted to 10.6.7 on another HD.
hi Tutor,
that's interesting, by 'underclocking', do you actually mean 'overclocking'? Would you mind if you can shed some light on implementing underclocking?
I see you have all the LGA1366 goodies. Afaik, the Core i3 has hyper-threading but not turbo-boost, so I am not sure if this will be applicable in my case.
But yea, finding a spare HDD and try everything on it before loading it onto the primary HDD is a very good idea, especially for a osx86 noob like myself. :oops:

AnotherMacGuy said:
Personally mine has been an improvement, i currently clock a 3.2ghz Core i3 from stock to 4.2ghz and since upgrading to OSX Lion i have had about a 400 point different in Geekbench from 7400 to around 7800. I built the system using a Gigabyte P55-US3L rev1.0 board, core i3 550, GTX 275 and 8gb of Crucial DDR3-1333 ram (ram is running at 1400).

=== :shh: pic link trimmed :shh: ===

My other rig has become slower but i figure i need to sort out the installation as my DSDT is not right.

Anyhow all in all i am keeping the overclock, it is better with Lion :)

Cheers,
Good on you, @AnotherMacGuy :thumbup:

As mentioned in #1, I could reach 4.2GHz with minimum drama either. Then it was a pain to clock beyond. I have been scoring ~9k in GeekBench (64bit) @4.6GHz w/ SL 10.6.8 spinning a 7.2k rpm HDD. That puts the built ~10% shy from the previous maxed out 27" i7 iMac (early 2011) w/256GB SSD.
I am also running 2x4GB ram @1600MHz. These sticks have XMP profile on them and I can enable 160 BCLK with default voltage.

I am trying find out the reason that I cannot clock with the SL config and investigate if there is anything that I can do to improve things. But as mentioned above, as I am such a noob in the scene, I really can use some input from others within the community before I can make any progress.

There is another bug related to my HD5770 too. Lion somehow mysteriously connects to a 800x600 display when all I have is a 1920x1200 screen and that was it.
Guess I will be staying on 10.6.8 for a little while longer and a little more :banghead:
Cheers :D

Actually, my overclocking situation actually improved with Lion. On Snow Leopard, I wasn't able to overclock past 4.2 GHz without my Hackintosh becoming unable to boot up. With Lion, I'm currently running at 4.8 GHz without any problems.

TheSmartGuy said:
Actually, my overclocking situation actually improved with Lion. On Snow Leopard, I wasn't able to overclock past 4.2 GHz without my Hackintosh becoming unable to boot up. With Lion, I'm currently running at 4.8 GHz without any problems.

i'm using an i7-2600k (same silicon with the hyper-threading support cut) and I found that 4.8 causes instability on my machine over the long term (it'll run fine for a few days and then randomly lock up). i'm sitting pretty at 4.5 without any problems.

are you using the stock cooler?

I'm using a zalman CNPS9900MAX-B http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6835118074

cpgeek said:
TheSmartGuy said:

i'm using an i7-2600k (same silicon with the hyper-threading support cut) and I found that 4.8 causes instability on my machine over the long term (it'll run fine for a few days and then randomly lock up). i'm sitting pretty at 4.5 without any problems.

I'm using a zalman CNPS9900MAX-B http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6835118074

I'm using a Corsair H60.

Anyways, I've been running at 4.8 GHz for a few days now, and no random lockups so far. However, back when I was running at 4.9 GHz in June, my computer did fail to boot one time.

TheSmartGuy said:
cpgeek said:
TheSmartGuy said:

I'm using a Corsair H60.

Anyways, I've been running at 4.8 GHz for a few days now, and no random lockups so far. However, back when I was running at 4.9 GHz in June, my computer did fail to boot one time.

Hi,

Just curious, with the clock are you stress testing the CPU before confirming that it`s stable? I`m running CPU test for between 4-6hrs keeping an eye on temps before attempting anything higher...

Just curious :)

Cheers,

AnotherMacGuy said:
TheSmartGuy said:
cpgeek said:

I'm using a Corsair H60.

Hi,

Just curious, with the clock are you stress testing the CPU before confirming that it`s stable? I`m running CPU test for between 4-6hrs keeping an eye on temps before attempting anything higher...

Just curious :)

Cheers,

I ran Prime95 in Windows for a few hours, though I haven't done any stress testing on Mac OS X.

I tried 10.6.8 and BEYOND, but both screwed up my underclocking advantages; so I reverted to 10.6.7 on another HD. For me, "AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement: Turbo Ratios 0000" had negative results. This is the edge I got back (1) by downgrading to 10.6.7 on another hard drive so that underclocking ability is fully restored and (2) by increasing the eventual Vcore (to 3.50 for CPU0 and to 3.25 for CPU1) and the BCLK to 182, yielding a maximum turbo boost of 4.914 GHz.
Cinebench11.5_24.00n45.88.png
GBench2_39535.png

Attachments

• Cinebench11.5_24.00n45.88.png
    Cinebench11.5_24.00n45.88.png
    144 KB · Views: 336
  • GBench2_39535.png
    GBench2_39535.png
    71.9 KB · Views: 537
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back