Contribute
Register

Any working builds of Gigabyte Z390 UD + i5-8600K + Intel UHD 630 out there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 UD
CPU
i5-8600K
Graphics
UHD 630
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. Classic
  2. iMac
  3. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I've got an almost working build on Mohave 10.14.6, but the UHD 630 graphics have odd ghosting issues and the sleep doesn't work. I've tried system defs from iMac 17,1 through 19,2 and also a framebuffer patch, but no change. The most obvious symptom of the graphics issues is when multiple tabs are open in the finder window. Moving the cursor over the tabs causes them to flicker and leaves a trail behind the cursor.

If anyone can help solve these last issues I'd be much obliged. Alternatively, if this combo is just bad then can you suggest a motherboard that is known to work well with the 8600K?

Thanks

Last edited:
Just saw your call for help on the Designare Z390 build thread... :)

My experience with the use of on-board HDMI has been quite mixed. Some apps such as Google Chrome, Clover Configurator, and Firefox exhibit various image artifacts.

For your system I would recommend iMac18,3 or iMac19,1 because neither has an Apple T2 security chip that prevents the use of Sidecar in Catalina and causes undue installation delays. You can also use iMac19,2, but for that a modified version of USBInjectAll.kext is needed (from @Sniki here).

Sleep issues are often due to misconfigured USB ports. For example, an internal USB 2 header should be configured as Type 0xFF (internal). Some all-in-one liquid coolers and smart power supplies (such as those from Corsair) will prevent sleep if connected to the internal USB header.

After configuring USB ports, we should apply the process of elimination by disconnecting all internal and external USB devices except Keyboard and Mouse. Then check if sleep/wake works. If so, then connect each of your USB devices one by one and test sleep/wake.

If this also fails, set Proximity Wake to 0 from Hackintool —> Power tab.

Thank you so much for taking time to help me out. The sleep is a more critical issue than the graphics, so I will check everything you've described above re: the USB. In particular, I have an Orico USB 3.0 PCI-Express card installed and the USB ports are not working. Sounds like this could be the problem.

The graphics issues are, as you say above, quite dependent on the app. The Finder, the atom editor and Quicktime both go berserk, but most apps, including Clover Configurator, Firefox, iTerm2, and even PyCharm work perfectly. I remain on the lookout for patches that may help.

Thank you again.

For the sole HDMI port on the Z390 UD, have you already applied the HDMI connector patch? For most Gigabyte Z390 boards the HDMI port is enabled as follows:

Index 3, Bus ID=0x04, Type=HDMI
PlatformID = 0x3E9B0007
DeviceID = 0x3E9B

Hi @CaseySJ,

Thank you for the info. I tried applying it per the framebuffer fix guide but only managed to get a black screen on boot. Fortunately I track my config.plist with git so I can back these things out and compare good to bad.

My mostly working config looks like:

Screen Shot 2019-12-08 at 7.42.30 PM.png

The black screen came from disabling indexes 0 and 1, so I'll keep poking at it, perhaps changing index 0 over to HDMI. One indication of trouble with my current config is a message at boot:

[IGPU] Graphics driver failed to load: could not register with Framebuffer driver!

I don't know if this tells you anything that could point to a solution.

My more vexing issue is that sleep doesn't work. I took out my USB PCI card, disconnected the front panel USB for my case, and unplugged all USB devices apart from KB and mouse, but no effect on the sleep.

Once again, thank you for helping .

Ed

Please post your config.plist (you may remove serial number from SMBIOS) because it seems that Platform ID is not correct, so the Index values are also not correct. They should be numbered 1, 2, 3, -1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back