Contribute
Register

Any way to create recovery partition post install?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Inspiron 11 3153
CPU
i3-6100u
Graphics
HD 520
So, from what I understood, with Clover and the createinstallmedia method, I should have had a recovery partition created when installing OSX.

My partition structure was like this:

Disk0s1: EFI 200m (or whatever it was)
Disk0s2: El Capitan 300GB
Disk0s3: Sierra 50GB
Disk0s4: Windows 10 150GB

After making sure I was happy with Sierra, I wanted to delete El Capitan and take that space over with Sierra. I did this going from Yosemite to El Capitan. In Sierra, I couldnt delete the El Capitan partition at all. I used the Yosemite installer, and it was able to delete this partition, but it wouldnt let me resize Sierra. The partition was left as free space and it wouldnt let me create a new partition or do anything with the free space in any OSX version.

I ended up using ubuntu and gparted to format the freespace to fat32, which then allowed me in Sierra to format has HFS+J. So now I have a 300GB partition named Mac which is just open space on s2 and 50 GB for sierra on s3. From what i understand now, the only way to reclaim the space on s2 for s3 is to boot into recovery, which Clover doesnt show anything for.

I tried symlinks to have the applications folder on the other partition, but for some reason that broke audio and appstore still wouldnt download xcode (not enough space error), and everything ran really slow.

Short of reformatting the entire drive and starting over, is there any way I can fix my partitions? I really dont want to have to back up a bunch of files and redo everything if I can avoid it.

diskutil.png

Thinking out loud: since "Mac" is the first volume, can I clone/restore Sierra to that partition/volume and then delete "Sierra" and give that space to "Mac"

I wouldnt mind resizing "Mac" to as small as I can, and resizing "Sierra" to take up that space, but I can only seem to make "Sierra" smaller, not bigger.

I wouldnt mind resizing "Mac" to as small as I can, and resizing "Sierra" to take up that space, but I can only seem to make "Sierra" smaller, not bigger.

You cannot make a partition larger if there is another partition following it.

I got tired of fighting with it and just reformatted everything. Now have the full hard drive dedicated to Sierra. Was going to install Windows too, but realized I havent touched it in months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back