Contribute
Register

any one know how to partition a drive in disk utility?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASUS P5E3 Deluxe Wifi
CPU
Q9950
Graphics
GTX 480
i'm having the darnedest time making 2 930gb partitions with 1 3gb partition in the middle on a 2tb hdd, the smallest partition it will let my make is over 100gb and when i punch in 3 it manual resizes and makes 1 partition way bigger than 930gb.

why i can't i just tell it what i want and it does it? every time i drag them around it messes up the other partition. THEN it messes that up! and puts 4x 136mb freespaces in between!!!!

GPARTED is useless, if i make my partitions with gparted with GPT it's not installable or from the mavericks installer and disk utility, like it can't use or understand the gparted made GPT table.

i'm having the darnedest time making 2 930gb partitions with 1 3gb partition in the middle on a 2tb hdd, the smallest partition it will let my make is over 100gb and when i punch in 3 it manual resizes and makes 1 partition way bigger than 930gb.

why i can't i just tell it what i want and it does it? every time i drag them around it messes up the other partition. THEN it messes that up! and puts 4x 136mb freespaces in between!!!!

GPARTED is useless, if i make my partitions with gparted with GPT it's not installable or from the mavericks installer and disk utility, like it can't use or understand the gparted made GPT table.
Don't know what your problem might be. Standard procedure is select the drive in the left pane and select partition. Then, in the right pane click on the "current" button, select the number of partitions you want, in your case 3, then select the top partition in the pane below the current button, give it a name, select the partition format, type in a size, hit enter. Then select the middle partition in the pane below the current button, give it a name, select the partition format, type in a size, hit enter. Select the bottom partition in the pane below the current button, give it a name, select the partition format, type in a size, hit enter.
AFAIK, there is no minimum size for partitions.
The small 100-150mb partitions between your main partitions contain the partition boot record and are necessary to access the partition from the OS.

Have you made your partition scheme GPT?

Cheers :)

Don't know what your problem might be. Standard procedure is select the drive in the left pane and select partition. Then, in the right pane click on the "current" button, select the number of partitions you want, in your case 3, then select the top partition in the pane below the current button, give it a name, select the partition format, type in a size, hit enter. Then select the middle partition in the pane below the current button, give it a name, select the partition format, type in a size, hit enter. Select the bottom partition in the pane below the current button, give it a name, select the partition format, type in a size, hit enter.
AFAIK, there is no minimum size for partitions.
The small 100-150mb partitions between your main partitions contain the partition boot record and are necessary to access the partition from the OS.

you should try that it doesn't work BUT, you gave me an idea. i did 1 partition, applied > CURRENT > resized > applied > CURRENT > add part > appl > current >resize > apply > current > repeat for 3 partition.

it now will NOT go below 6gb on the middle partition, it will make it 6gb after i hit enter. also it's dumber than box of rocks! it acts like it really has 2tb of space and not 1.8 after formating so it says 1 part is 990gb and the next 6gb and the next 1tb but, when you boot in to an os or gparted it shows the REAL amount of space, it's all off.

after trial and error i MAY be able to get it exact but, likely i will be lucky to get with in 10gb of my target when i'd rather have exact but, it's dumber than box of rocks and auto adjusts sizes so it sucks. :rolleyes: /rant

Have you made your partition scheme GPT?

Cheers :)
I apologize if i did not state that but, yes. and mavericks refuses to use any drive fformattedwith a GPT partition table made by gparted.

EDIT: heh, looks like it got with in 10gb, i might just roll with that.

EDIT: heh, looks like it got with in 10gb, i might just roll with that.
Here is something to consider - some software reports partition size in
KB=1,000 bytes,
MB=1000KB=1,000,000 bytes
GB=1000MB=1,000,000,000 bytes

OS X counts it as 1028 bytes per KB, multiples of 1028 for MB and GB

This may be why your counts are not the same between OS X disk utility and your other disk management tools.

i knew that much it seems to change depending on what software you are viewing partitions with. osx installer and lubuntu installer it shows similar sizes, gparted shows them a bit differently. i'm kind of OCD so obviously i prefer more exacting sizes but, what ever i just want it to work now since i'm close ot the sizes i want. now i'm fighting boot loader issues, which i think i may be attributed to GPT or gparted allowing more than part to flagged as boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back