Contribute
Register

Any news on Nvidia drivers for use with Mojave?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also if you run into the black screen problem when booting there's this thread:

It SHOULD just work if you enable iGPU as default in BIOS and unplug the card. In my case I had to do some patching in order to keep the card plugged in and still have it default to the iGPU. As long as the card is plugged in it seems Mojave wants to default to it even if it's incompatible.

Thank you! I had experimented a bit and had this issue (in High Sierra), it just wants to use the card.

And now I'm blushing with embarrassment that I didn't think of just unplugging the card.

Currently undecided whether I will switch to Mojave but would like to try my setup without the video card in high sierra and see what impact it has on performance. (Likely not much as my core applications don't make much use of it, as far as I can tell).

Far more important is whether I can drive my two monitors with acceptable resolution/refresh. Looks like it should work from the specs but I don't trust specs without testing the setup.

Last edited:
The kexts (whatevergreen and lilu) should be installed in the Library/Extensions folder and NOT in Clover/Other folder.

Genuine question - I've never quite understood the rationale for this - why is leaving them in EFI/Clover/kexts/other a problem?

Genuine question - I've never quite understood the rationale for this - why is leaving them in EFI/Clover/kexts/other a problem?

If you put kexts in EFI/Clover/kexts/other and it will be loaded during boot time. However, if you put your macOS to sleep then kexts loaded from Clover will be lost. That's why FakeSMC needs to be in both (Library/Extensions and EFI/Clover/kexts/other) for it work correctly. If you put your macOS to sleep then you do need to include the kexts in Library/Extensions so it will be loaded during the wake cycles.

As far as I know, Lilu and Whatevergreen isn't needed in Library/Extensions but other kexts might be needed if you run into some problems after waking from sleep. Lilu and Whatevergreen are designed to help boot macOS with proper graphics support but it's not needed after sleep/wake cycles.

Last edited:

If a kext crashes or tries to do something naughty it is not in the protected memory space of the OS and will not reload or your system be protected from it. macOS is unaware of Clover (hence why you have to inject them during the boot process), so cannot load kexts from there should they crash.

The only kexts you should have in the Clover folder is FakeSMC (which should be there AND in /L/E) and any other kexts needed to boot your system to enable recovery mode, and again, they should be in both places. If not needed for recovery mode then they should only be in /L/E.

It SHOULD just work if you enable iGPU as default in BIOS and unplug the card. In my case I had to do some patching in order to keep the card plugged in and still have it default to the iGPU. As long as the card is plugged in it seems Mojave wants to default to it even if it's incompatible.

@TheJMan36 you mentioned here that you had to do some 'patching' in Mojave to keep the card plugged in while still using the iGPU, curious what this was as I'm contemplating upgrading from HS and would like to do the same, tired of waiting for Nvidia support plus can't update to the latest Xcode on HS now...

@TheJMan36 you mentioned here that you had to do some 'patching' in Mojave to keep the card plugged in while still using the iGPU, curious what this was as I'm contemplating upgrading from HS and would like to do the same, tired of waiting for Nvidia support plus can't update to the latest Xcode on HS now...
I'm actually not sure. I posted a thread about it and some good samaritan edited my Clover boot folder and got it working. Maybe that user is still around and can help you if you post a thread. I gave up waiting for nvidia drivers and switched to an AMD 570 card so am no longer using intel GPU.

I'm currently using Sierra 10.12.5 and thought about updating to Mojave.

According to research here and across the web, there has yet to be any drivers released for NVidia video cards. Mine is a GEForce GTX 670.

Anyone have news about NVidia drivers for use with Mojave??

Your 670 will work fine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back