Contribute
Register

Any news on Nvidia drivers for use with Mojave?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately, this decision got somewhat made for me....I went to update my OS from Sierra 10.12.5 to 10.12.6 and my computer couldn't reboot back into mac os x.....

I did clone the drive before this crisis with Carbon Copy Cloner. Went to use it as instructions say on the CCC site and my computer could not boot from it. I must've done something wrong, I guess. Have no clue what I did wrong.....

Started from scratch with good ol' Snow Leopard, updated it to 10.6.8 and then used an old USB for El Capitan install that I made some time ago. Currently running 10.11.6 smoothly.

I have (whatevergreen and lilu) in Clover/Kexts/other and they are working fine. you can verify this by typing in kextstat in terminal and see that they are loaded.

There's an interesting article about Apple and Nvidia, and why we aren't seeing support in Mojave here.

I definitely regret going with Nvidia on my first build. I'm using the Sapphire RX 580 Pulse 8GB on my second, and it's been flawless.

There has been no news since the "coming out very soon" one from mid-January. I have given up and ordered a XFX RX580 yesterday. Since the record of my poor luck has been broken repeatedly recently, the web driver might just be around the corner. Hold on tight, everybody!

There has been no news since the "coming out very soon" one from mid-January. I have given up and ordered a XFX RX580 yesterday. Since the record of my poor luck has been broken repeatedly recently, the web driver might just be around the corner. Hold on tight, everybody!

I did the same thing, now that I have had the RX580 this long, I am happy with it and having the system "supported" I am glad I did. updating is a snap and performance is great. I had a GTX 970 before so its all good.

I'm in the same boat. Currently using my Intel UHD 630 integrated graphics in Mojave until the web drivers are ready. I remember seeing a thread on Nvidia's forum where someone in the company stated that Apple and Nvidia are now working together on the drivers. Here's to hoping that's true.

That's just one dude saying things w/o citation and wonder why no one believed him/her. It wasn't news.

I'm in the same boat. Currently using my Intel UHD 630 integrated graphics in Mojave until the web drivers are ready. I remember seeing a thread on Nvidia's forum where someone in the company stated that Apple and Nvidia are now working together on the drivers. Here's to hoping that's true.

What are the steps to do this? Did you just leave the card in and remove the drivers? Change the boot flag in bios? I tried this recently - just booting into High Sierra using the integrated graphics - but couldn't get it to work easily.

But then I can't remember what steps I took, just a quick test.

So how do you know Apple blocks Nvidia? Any proof of that? Here is something else to consider
Code:
$ codesign -d -vv /Library/Extensions/NVDAResmanWeb.kext
Executable=/Library/Extensions/NVDAResmanWeb.kext/Contents/MacOS/NVDAResmanWeb
Identifier=com.nvidia.web.NVDAResmanWeb
Format=bundle with Mach-O thin (x86_64)
CodeDirectory v=20200 size=53564 flags=0x0(none) hashes=1668+3 location=embedded
Signature size=4746
Authority=Developer ID Application: NVIDIA Corporation (6KR3T733EC)
Authority=Developer ID Certification Authority
Authority=Apple Root CA
Signed Time=Jan 24, 2019 at 12:25:18 PM
Info.plist entries=14
TeamIdentifier=6KR3T733EC
Sealed Resources version=2 rules=13 files=0
Internal requirements count=1 size=188

"It was signed by NVIDIA's developer certificate, and NVIDIA's developer certificate is signed by Apple's Developer ID CA. When an SSL certificate is signed by a CA, it means that that certificate can sign on its behalf. In other words, NVIDIA's signing certificate can codesign for Apple. This isn't special or anything, this is what it looks like for any developer account with kext signing enabled. But I am just saying, there is absolutely no doubt whatsoever here - Apple has enabled kext signing on NVIDIA's certificate, and it is still enabled as a revocation would invalidate past signatures as well, rendering previous kexts no longer valid. "

What are the steps to do this? Did you just leave the card in and remove the drivers? Change the boot flag in bios? I tried this recently - just booting into High Sierra using the integrated graphics - but couldn't get it to work easily.

But then I can't remember what steps I took, just a quick test.
It SHOULD just work if you enable iGPU as default in BIOS and unplug the card. In my case I had to do some patching in order to keep the card plugged in and still have it default to the iGPU. As long as the card is plugged in it seems Mojave wants to default to it even if it's incompatible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back