Contribute
Register

Any news on Nvidia drivers for use with Mojave?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
OSX El Capitan 10.11.6 and Windows 7 Professional
CPU
Intel Core i7-3770K
Graphics
GEForce GTX 670 (NVidia)
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I'm currently using Sierra 10.12.5 and thought about updating to Mojave.

According to research here and across the web, there has yet to be any drivers released for NVidia video cards. Mine is a GEForce GTX 670.

Anyone have news about NVidia drivers for use with Mojave??

With the lack of drivers so far, I out they will ever bother now.

So.....Sierra forever or buy a new GPU that is supported?

How does one switch out a gpu for a different one? What's involved?

You could go up to High Sierra.

When I changed mine from an Nvidia, all I had to do was remove the Nvidia drivers and Cuda. Shut down, take the old card out and installed the new one, an RX 580. On reboot the card was recognised and worked fine. I also installed Whatevergreen.kext and Luli.kext - I have twin monitors and this was the best way to get them bother working flawlessly.

You could go up to High Sierra.

When I changed mine from an Nvidia, all I had to do was remove the Nvidia drivers and Cuda. Shut down, take the old card out and installed the new one, an RX 580. On reboot the card was recognised and worked fine. I also installed Whatevergreen.kext and Luli.kext - I have twin monitors and this was the best way to get them bother working flawlessly.

Forgive me; I'm very much a hackintosh rookie. Where would the Nvidia and CUDA drivers be on my computer?
Is it as simple as deleting them or do they have a process to be officially removed from the system?

How did you figure out what video card would work with your system?

What are Whatevergreen.kext and Luli.kext?

You don't even need to delete the NVidia & related drivers - they just won't be used.

A Vega 64 (blower style fans) makes an ideal card - pretty much equivalent to a 1070. If you are on Mojave of course. You should install Lilu + Whatevergreen to the OTHER folder in Clover for more seamless functionality. Mojave will recognize the Vega 64 card natively.

Is it as simple as deleting them or do they have a process to be officially removed from the system?
To uninstall the NVIDIA Web Driver and the NVIDIA Driver Manager, follow the steps below:

STEP 1: Open the NVIDIA Driver Manager from the System Preferences or through the menu bar item.
STEP 2: Click on the padlock icon and enter an Administrator password.
STEP 3: Click the Open Uninstaller button.
STEP 4: Click Uninstall and then Continue Uninstallation on the Warning screen: The Warning screen lets you know that you will need to restart your system once the installation process is complete.
STEP 5: Re-enter an Administrator password and click OK. Once the NVIDIA Web Driver and NVIDIA Driver Manager have been removed from the system, click Restart.

The kexts (whatevergreen and lilu) should be installed in the Library/Extensions folder and NOT in Clover/Other folder. Use something like KextBeast to install them and don't just copy them into the folder. After you have installed them, run Kext Utility (which you will need to download as well) to set the correct permissions and update the cache - it can be done using Terminal but for a new hackintosher the tools are simple to use.

The kexts and KextBeast can be downloaded from the Downloads section on this site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back