Contribute
Register

Any known Hackintosh motherboards that will support 64GB of Ram?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Mac Pro (Hackintosh)
CPU
Intel 3770k
Graphics
Gigabyte GTX 670
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey everyone,

This is my first post so hopefully it is in the right place!

Anyway, I am wondering if there are any motherboards out there that 100% run hackintosh as well as allow for 64GB of ram? I am going to start with 32GB, and eventually bump it up to 64GB because I will be mainly using my hackintosh for after effects, video editing, and 3D programs such as Maya and Cinema 4D.

Cheers,

smoresahoy

Hey everyone,

This is my first post so hopefully it is in the right place!

Anyway, I am wondering if there are any motherboards out there that 100% run hackintosh as well as allow for 64GB of ram? I am going to start with 32GB, and eventually bump it up to 64GB because I will be mainly using my hackintosh for after effects, video editing, and 3D programs such as Maya and Cinema 4D.

Cheers,

smoresahoy

http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4287#sp

If you want to use this board though, read some of the threads / user builds it is featured in. Not everything
works the way GB Z77 boards do. (Speedstep, Sleep, Power Mgt.) That being said it's not likely that you'd
actually need 64gb of ram unless you were building a server that many users were accessing at the same time.
32 GB should be plenty for the software you will be using. To test, simply open all your apps you'll be using at
the same time and look in activity monitor to see how much ram you will need to operate daily.

Instead of spending that extra 200 + dollars on more Ram invest it in the best SSD you can get to use as an OSX
boot drive. Samsung Pro 256 GB or a Crucial M4 256 GB would be my first two choices.

http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4287#sp

If you want to use this board though, read some of the threads / user builds it is featured in. Not everything
works the way GB Z77 boards do. (Speedstep, Sleep, Power Mgt.) That being said it's not likely that you'd
actually need 64gb of ram unless you were building a server that many users were accessing at the same time.
32 GB should be plenty for the software you will be using.

Yeah, you have to go to the X79 chipset (Socket 2011 platform) to get support for more than 32GB RAM. There are other X79 based boards out there, but this is probably the best one. And I agree with everything else trs96 said about probably not actually needing 64GB of RAM for the tasks you mentioned in your post. Just get a Z77 board, 32GB RAM, and the fastest CPU and best graphics card you can afford.

Yeah, you have to go to the X79 chipset (Socket 2011 platform) to get support for more than 32GB RAM. There are other X79 based boards out there, but this is probably the best one. And I agree with everything else trs96 said about probably not actually needing 64GB of RAM for the tasks you mentioned in your post. Just get a Z77 board, 32GB RAM, and the fastest CPU and best graphics card you can afford.

Awesome, I don't game at all on computers so that is not an issue for me. I was looking into the Intel Core i7 3.5GHz 4 core ivy bridge as well as the Nvidia GTX 670. Do you think that would be a good CPU and GPU to properly and sufficiently run after effects and cinema 4d?

Awesome, I don't game at all on computers so that is not an issue for me. I was looking into the Intel Core i7 3.5GHz 4 core ivy bridge as well as the Nvidia GTX 670. Do you think that would be a good CPU and GPU to properly and sufficiently run after effects and cinema 4d?
A i7 3770k and GTX 670 should be more than enough to run after effects and cinema 4d . Although if you are thinking of getting a x79 motherboard , remember you will then need a compatible 2011 processor such as the i7 3820.

A i7 3770k and GTX 670 should be more than enough to run after effects and cinema 4d . Although if you are thinking of getting a x79 motherboard , remember you will then need a compatible 2011 processor such as the i7 3820.

Great! I'm going to post my future build in another thread so I can get some feedback!

ASUS P78 i think. Socket 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back