Contribute
Register

Any issues using an old system definition if everything is working perfectly?

Motherboard
ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero
CPU
Intel i9-9900k
Graphics
Saphire Pulse Radeon RX 580
Hello all,

This is my first post. I’ve just finished setting up my first Hackintosh and have a Mojave system that seems to be running macOS 10.14.6 perfectly.

Initially, I went with a system definition of iMac14,2 however this gave me some problems (specifically with quicklook and finder not opening jpegs and I also had issues with FaceTime, Messages and the App Store as well as some issues around sleep/wake.

After following many of the extremely helpful guides on here I ended up getting everything working correctly using a system definition of MacPro6,1 (and replacing AptioMemoryFix-64.efi with OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi in EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI seemed to fix the sleep/wake issues and following this guide got my FaceTime, Messages and App Store up and running).

However the MacPro6,1 is an old system dating all the way back to 2013 so I wanted to know if there would be any disadvantages of continuing to this system definition? This thread seems to indicate that there might be but I don’t understand what they are.

Looking at my hardware, it seems that perhaps the iMac19,1 would be a more suitable candidate (at least in terms of the CPU) and it seems that my machine gets very close to booting using that system definition. Pretty sure it boots to the login screen, but the screen is black. However, the keyboard responds and makes noises if I try and type, so perhaps it would only need a few further tweaks to get working. I tried booting in verbose mode but can’t read any of the text as it scrolls too quickly. There may be something I can try in this thread.

So I guess my question is this:

Given that I have a system that appears to be working flawlessly is there any merit to me continuing to mess around with SMBIOS trying to get things working with a different definition?

Finally, one last question. And apologies if this should be in a separate thread but it seems somewhat related to the above. My “About This Mac” screen is reporting the wrong CPU as per the image below:

Screenshot-2020-03-30-12.07.46.jpg

Is this any cause for concern?

Thanks in advance fo any help!