Contribute
Register

Any hope to have a "Guide to Recover your USB3 on El Capitan" for non expert people?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've settled on having it on Smart Auto. It's the only way USB works (enabled doesn't recognize any, auto only 2.0). Smart Auto at least gives me access to most ports, even though 3.0 shows as 2.0 (weirdly 3.0 shows separately as a Hub but nothing gets routed to it). Just have to wait a few weeks till things get sorted, I suppose.

It would be normal for USB2 devices plugged into a USB3 port with "smart auto" (USB2 XHC routed to EHC) to show on USB 2.0 bus (because of the routing, the pins are actually connected to EHC)

USB3 devices plugged into USB3 should show as on USB 3.0 bus (XHC).

I looked at the GA-H87N-WIFI patch there. It makes USB worse under 10.11. Unpatched, USB3 works and all USB ports on the board and my case work. The patch changes XHC to XHC1, which causes the wonky Apple rules to come into force, and the USB ports on my back panel stop working (though the ones on the case thankfully still worked so I had a keyboard to revert!).

The needed patch to the patch is only a couple lines to stop it from renaming XHC to XHC1, but what's in the repository right now is not good for the GA-H87N-WIFI for 10.11.

That was the only patch set I looked at.

Hopefully PJALM makes edits then since I don't know what to change to fix it. but I don't want to drop the entire DSDT patch since it does fix a lot of things.
I did find rename code in all of the gigabyte models but wasn't entirely sure what to tweak to prevent it.

Hopefully PJALM makes edits then since I don't know what to change to fix it. but I don't want to drop the entire DSDT patch since it does fix a lot of things.
I did find rename code in all of the gigabyte models but wasn't entirely sure what to tweak to prevent it.

Here's what it was for the H87N-WIFI, which looks the same for the Z87X-OC-FORCE:

Toward the end of the patch, look for a block that starts with #Fix XHC1 (you can Command-F XHC1):

Comment out the first three lines (that replace device label XHC with XHC1, in all code replace XHC with XHC1, and replace XHC.DUAM with XHC1.DUAM), and change XHC1 to XHC in the last two lines (which remove something from the would-be-renamed XHC1 and insert something else into the would-be-renamed XHC1).

The original comment and the five lines in question should be the only occurrence of XHC1 in the patch.

That should maintain the content of the patch, except for keeping XHC named XHC instead of changing it to XHC1.

I just realized, I've never had to boot with a clean DSDT before on clover. I know even if i remove the drop DSDT, clover will still patch a bunch of things on fly. How do you force clover to boot with 0 patching so I can load a clean DSDT before redoing PJALM patches with edit? does clover support DSDT=NULL?

EDIT, ah, F4. Good ole rehab :)
https://github.com/RehabMan/HP-ProBook-4x30s-DSDT-Patch/wiki/How-to-patch-your-DSDT

EDIT2
Actually F4 and fn+F4 didn't work. nothing in origin folder. Going to have to keep looking, or maybe boot off chimera on USB to get it.

Wouldn't it work to just remove CLOVER/ACPI/patched/DSDT.aml and the DSDT section of your config.plist? I'm not sure what else would cause the DSDT to be altered.

Though I think my config.plist DSDT section just really has the Name setting along with a couple other things that are all disabled. So I don't think it's actually doing any patching if I don't have a DSDT.aml file.

(This may just show how little I know, of course. :)

Maybe I can just edit my DSDT.aml file manually to fix it. Not needing to redo patches. I'm ordering a USB hub just in case though. If I have to lose all the rear usb ports so be it. I'll plug everything into the front on worst case.

I suspect clover won't extract the origin unless it's actually on EFI partition. the only way I ever got clover to work was a legacy install on HFS plus volume in EFI folder. Clover off EFI volume and definitely UEFI mode always hang with memory problems (regardless of which memory fix is tried). It only successfully boots legacy so my clover install is VERY legacy. boot file and all. I guess it's just not capable of extracting DSDT in this mode. Knew I should have backed that up.

EDIT. Yep that was it. I tried a clean ESP disk partition/UEFI install and it actually works now. It didn't used to, it always failed no matter what before. Must be the memory increases to the memory fix driver that allowed it to work with 10.11 GM, finally allowed it to work with 10.10 on my hardware (it never allocated enough memory on my hardware before).

This is joyous. I have clean DSDT now and clover is actually UEFI now and not legacy. now onto the main object of topic, fixing that DSDT for USB/10.11 rawr. Sorry for all the ranting.

It's still a no go, because clover didn't properly extract a clean DSDT. it has a bunch of zero errors in it. So my only solution is to try and fix my existing DSDT through edits
EDIT, so far so good. Simply used my existing DSDT and do a find and replace for all XHC1 and replaced with XHC. USB still works so I don't think that broke anything!. Will find out when 10.11 is installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back