Contribute
Register

Any good guides for a Gigabyte GA-Z170N-Gaming 5?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z170N-Gaming 5
CPU
Intel Core I5-6600K 3.50 GH
Graphics
On-Board
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I went through the buyers guide and built out this config:

Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
Zalman CNPS8000B CPU Cooler
Gigabyte GA-Z170N-Gaming 5 Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard
Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
A-Data Premier SP550 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
TP-Link TL-WDN4800 PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter
EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply
Thermaltake Core V1 Mini ITX Tower Case

It took some work, and I got it mostly working, followed this Video Guide (YouTube Video) which got me over a few humps however end of the day things aren't doing well - the TP-Link card has cut out a number of times, getting worse, checked the card in a Windows system, runs peachy - Sound too after about 3 hours of the system on sounds like its stuck in a pipe and can't get enough volume to be heard - when the system does run it's not too shabby.

While I realize this is a "hackintosh" not an Apple itself it requires some massaging to get things running smoothly - my question is as this is a build from suggested parts, are there any guides mainly around the Mother Board which would help solve audio issues and too the network card solve network issues?

I feel like my best bet at this point is to re-install fresh and start-over - or worse just give up and go buy a Mac (though 32GB of ram, I would miss that!) :) Hope someone out there has had similar, I have searched the board, I have followed various guides here and as noted the YouTube video above, its got me working fair, but I'd love a steady network and a steady sound, already added a nice Webcam for business calls, but to have to reboot nearly every morning to hear someone, and then having no networking is frustrating.

ANY help or point in the right direction is appreciated! Not afraid to read up, or try something, I've got the system backed up, and a 2nd SSD in place just to save core work files just in case, but I keep drifting back to a MacBook to work as just not stable enough - help me obi-wan-hackintoshers, you're my only hope!

Last edited by a moderator:
Not a bump, but an upgrade for anyone who may have issues with this board just a few notes:
  • Audio only dies when the monitor disconnects/sleeps. I've just got the screen saver set to run all night and audio sticks around. Not a perfect "fix" but the glow makes it so I don't step on blocks :)
  • Networking - I ditched the TP-Link TL-WDN4800 for a Fenvi Desktop PC Dual Band 802.11AC Wireless on Amazon, I saw my previous links the other site put in were stripped so just search that in Amazon, after a reboot and login on Facetime again, both 5ghz Wifi, Bluetooth handoff, Airdrop and such all work. Card does even note (as soon will my review) that it works on Hackintoshes quite well - Make sure you have a spare USB header on your board as it's needed for BT.
Again I highly recommend the video in the OP, not major tweaking had to be done to get rolling, but I do recommend the Fenvi card, it works amazingly well.

I have the same board and have audio working. I use AppleALC and 7 for layout.

I did have a strange problem a few times when restarting from Windows with sound from green port being distorted. Solved this by enabling Audio / ResetHDA in Clover. You can consider this and/or installing Codec Commander and seeing if it solves your problem.

I did have a strange problem a few times when restarting from Windows with sound from green port being distorted. Solved this by enabling Audio / ResetHDA in Clover. You can consider this and/or installing Codec Commander and seeing if it solves your

I did have a strange problem a few times when restarting from Windows with sound from green port being distorted. Solved this by enabling Audio / ResetHDA in Clover. You can consider this and/or installing Codec Commander and seeing if it solves your problem.

Can you document what you did? I'd tried Codec Commander, didn't help, ended up going back to the original drivers as suggested from the video, can you layout what you did? Would love to be able to shut down the monitor at night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back